General questions from a clydsdale newbie

Coloradoflyer said:
Not wanting to hijack this thread too much but the title seems to fit.

I am a "super-newbie" and I have a few "issues"...

I ride around a small town, wanting to transition to the bike for more of the "town stuff" like groceries, the hiking trail heads (no bikes allowed), and meetings/local gatherings - you know, save money, less gas and of course dropping some pounds. Every time I do a job in Europe I see the old style bikes all over the place and now I see the same type of thing here stateside in large urban areas.

I have a hand-me-down that was a gift, an aluminum frame thing that I think I am going to break, I was thinking about getting a steel frame bike that has a more upright riding position, and will last for years of daily short urban/suburban use and a few unpaved bike trails (nothing challenging, just local bike shortcuts).

I was thinking about one of the industrial/commuter bikes, something like a simple steel frame with a simple easy to maintain 3 speed. The LBS does not carry any of this style of bike, and I felt a bit uncomfortable around the biking clientele and the owner who seemed uninterested in helping an old fat guy, at least unless I was going to pop for a new 800 plus buck Cannondale.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any suggestions?

craigslist you can find what your looking for there. make sure you get a bike that fits you and don't support a bike shop thats not interested in your business. trek 700 retails for around $250-$300 new. you can get some really good deal on year end close outs.

jagonz456 said:
craigslist you can find what your looking for there. make sure you get a bike that fits you and don't support a bike shop thats not interested in your business. trek 700 retails for around $250-$300 new. you can get some really good deal on year end close outs.

Hey thanks...

A few more details, a friend of mine had a bike trailer he made in his metal shop (steel tubing frame with wheelchair wheels) that he uses to get groceries and deliver small orders in his town I was looking to duplicate the same idea.

He is using an "industrial" bike with solid tires, three speeds, and it is a steel frame bike called a Worksman M2600 I found it easier to ride and far easier to maintain (having him show me how it works) than the "hand-me-down" I am having a hell of a time keeping the de-railer on this bike I have working correctly (it does not help that I know nothing about the mechanics as the last bike I had was a simple three speed.)

Coloradoflyer said:
Not wanting to hijack this thread too much but the title seems to fit.

I am a "super-newbie" and I have a few "issues"...

I ride around a small town, wanting to transition to the bike for more of the "town stuff" like groceries, the hiking trail heads (no bikes allowed), and meetings/local gatherings - you know, save money, less gas and of course dropping some pounds. Every time I do a job in Europe I see the old style bikes all over the place and now I see the same type of thing here stateside in large urban areas.

I have a hand-me-down that was a gift, an aluminum frame thing that I think I am going to break, I was thinking about getting a steel frame bike that has a more upright riding position, and will last for years of daily short urban/suburban use and a few unpaved bike trails (nothing challenging, just local bike shortcuts).

I was thinking about one of the industrial/commuter bikes, something like a simple steel frame with a simple easy to maintain 3 speed. The LBS does not carry any of this style of bike, and I felt a bit uncomfortable around the biking clientele and the owner who seemed uninterested in helping an old fat guy, at least unless I was going to pop for a new 800 plus buck Cannondale.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any suggestions?

I know exactly what you mean about being pretty much ignored by the lbs when you just want a low cost bike and not buy a $1000 bike, some of them act like you are not worthy of being helped. I had this at 2 of my LBS's, looking for a bike for my wife, they tried to get her into a $800 Trek, but the 7000 was what she wanted at $350, so we left, went to another LBS same thing. Tried a 3rd, and they were happy to help, I see it as a sale is a sale........

I would try a few shops, and as other members said keep an eye on Craigslist and the local newspapers, even Ebay has a deal now and then. Make sure you find the right fit, or you will be miserable.

ChrisA70 said:
I know exactly what you mean about being pretty much ignored by the lbs when you just want a low cost bike and not buy a $1000 bike, some of them act like you are not worthy of being helped. I had this at 2 of my LBS's, looking for a bike for my wife, they tried to get her into a $800 Trek, but the 7000 was what she wanted at $350, so we left, went to another LBS same thing. Tried a 3rd, and they were happy to help, I see it as a sale is a sale........

I would try a few shops, and as other members said keep an eye on Craigslist and the local newspapers, even Ebay has a deal now and then. Make sure you find the right fit, or you will be miserable.

It's a small town here (large for Colorado) but there is only one shop here, I have to drive at least 45 min. to a larger town and it's three hours to Denver.

I was disappointed about the situation, there are lots of very heavy biking types here as the area is popular with young yuppie enthusiasts who drive down here to ride, I guess the old guy is just not all that interesting.

I never did understand the idea that a profit on a mid priced item was so much less desirable.

Hey guys is it possible to figure out a good "fitting'' at home and get a good quality steel frame and then build a bike from the ground up just as I want it all mail order?

Coloradoflyer said:
It's a small town here (large for Colorado) but there is only one shop here, I have to drive at least 45 min. to a larger town and it's three hours to Denver.

I was disappointed about the situation, there are lots of very heavy biking types here as the area is popular with young yuppie enthusiasts who drive down here to ride, I guess the old guy is just not all that interesting.

I never did understand the idea that a profit on a mid priced item was so much less desirable.

Some of these shops have such a huge overhead they want to sell the big ticket items. I live across the street from a direct trek Dealer, and from experience and from former employees, I know they shun away from the regular Joe wanting a regular bike, they want you to but a Trek 2.1, they will even talk you out of an entry level road bike, and into a $2000 bike, as they did me. Madone, Guru, or one of thier $1500 mountain bikes is what they want to sell you. The rent at thier shop is $8000 a month, so you know they want nothing to do with selling a $300 bike. Not to mention a lot of really heavy duty cyclists shop/work there, and somewhat of a clique type of people. I held off, and it paid off, as a friend bought a brand new $1100 bike, didn't like it, and sold it to me for $500 last week. Just keep looking, the right bike will come up and you will be happy you held off. Maybe that road trip to the bigger town or even Denver could find you the right one???

Coloradoflyer said:
Hey guys is it possible to figure out a good "fitting'' at home and get a good quality steel frame and then build a bike from the ground up just as I want it all mail order?

I have done this way back when I was riding in the late 80's early 90's. Do you want a road bike? Flat bar road bike? Mountain bike?

Here is a pretty easy fitting for the frame size site. Remember it's just a simple sizing, all people are different.

Bicycle Frame Size Calculator

ChrisA70 said:
I have done this way back when I was riding in the late 80's early 90's. Do you want a road bike? Flat bar road bike? Mountain bike?

Here is a pretty easy fitting for the frame size site. Remember it's just a simple sizing, all people are different.

Bicycle Frame Size Calculator

What am I looking for... good question, I don't know if I am sure myself.

Sturdy, for day to day use, while exercise is good I want something I could attach a bike trailer to and possibly load bearing attachments. I want something for in town and on some unpaved paths in town to not spend so much time in a car. It is a small enough town that it would be rather easy to use a bike to replace most of the local traveling - giving up the car and van most of the time.

Easy to ride, more upright ride (I have some old injuries that are a problem, main one is a back problem).

I like the idea of the disk style breaks and just a simple rear de-railer with just a three to five speeds - and easy to maintain - very easy.

Wide stable tires, easy to ride, I have no intentions of racing, going up and down the mountains, or riding from town to town. I do see a few lower gears for pulling some weight (including me).

Coloradoflyer said:
What am I looking for... good question, I don't know if I am sure myself.

Sturdy, for day to day use, while exercise is good I want something I could attach a bike trailer to and possibly load bearing attachments. I want something for in town and on some unpaved paths in town to not spend so much time in a car. It is a small enough town that it would be rather easy to use a bike to replace most of the local traveling - giving up the car and van most of the time.

Easy to ride, more upright ride (I have some old injuries that are a problem, main one is a back problem).

I like the idea of the disk style breaks and just a simple rear de-railer with just a three to five speeds - and easy to maintain - very easy.

Wide stable tires, easy to ride, I have no intentions of racing, going up and down the mountains, or riding from town to town. I do see a few lower gears for pulling some weight (including me).

How about a comfort/hybrid bike? 26X2" tires or 700cX32, and pretty well rugged. You sit more upright on them, they are really comfortable...

Trek 7100 is a good model. then again they will frown upon you if you want a $400 bike possibly. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/hybrid/7100/

have yo ulooked on bikes direct? They have a mail order bike sales system, decent bikes. I had a friend buy 2 from them, good deals, but you have to do some assembly out of the box, OR bring it to a shop to assemble

Save up to 60% off new Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe Comfort Bikes from bikesdirect.com

OR

I am looking into getting my wife one of these.

Hybrid Bikes | Motobecane Elite FS from bikesdirect.com | Save up to 60% off list prices

ChrisA70 said:
How about a comfort/hybrid bike? 26X2" tires or 700cX32, and pretty well rugged. You sit more upright on them, they are really comfortable...

Trek 7100 is a good model. then again they will frown upon you if you want a $400 bike possibly. Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7100

have yo ulooked on bikes direct? They have a mail order bike sales system, decent bikes. I had a friend buy 2 from them, good deals, but you have to do some assembly out of the box, OR bring it to a shop to assemble

Save up to 60% off new Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe Comfort Bikes from bikesdirect.com

OR

I am looking into getting my wife one of these.

Hybrid Bikes | Motobecane Elite FS from bikesdirect.com | Save up to 60% off list prices

I think so, I had to read-up about this Hybrid - Comfort terms to understand it better.

Here is the definition I found

These bikes emphasize comfort over efficiency with suspension features and cushioned seats to make the bumps disappear, and wider, higher handlebars for an easy-on-the-back-and-neck upright riding position.

Comfort bikes use the 26-inch tire standard commonly found on mountain bikes. These wide tires provide a comfortable cushion of air so you float over bumps and rough terrain. Plus, it's possible to install knobby tires should you want to ride most of the time on dirt roads.

Chromoly Steel
PROS: An affordable steel alloy offering light weight and a great ride
CONS: May rust if not cared for; more expensive than High-Tensile Steel

I am not afraid of mechanical work so I could learn about bike maintenance but because I am so far away from a reasonable shop with parts it stock I would like the toughest and easiest and longest lasting.

I'm learning... I can see the bike I have now giving up the ghost (frame breaking) and I have had a catastrophic failure on a bike a long time ago - not fun.

Thanks for the links BTW - this is all helpful.