General training help

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Waitforme, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Waitforme

Waitforme New Member

Hi
    I'd be grateful for some advice on specific training for 40K time trials, looking to break the hour , PB is 1:04

At present I'm doing around 220 mpw, made up of a daily 26 mile commute, 4 gym sessions and a Sunday 60 miler. Sat is a rest day, Wed is an easy commute day.

My quality sessions are the 4 gym sessions x 30 mins on a Polar bike, basically I go as hard as I can on it for 30 mins Mon, Tue , rest Wed , Thurs , Fri. I think my MHR is 178 - that is the highest I have seen , I'm 46 - and these gym sessoins usually see me running in the high 150s peaking at low 170s.

I sometimes push it a bit on my commute on the way home till my legs burn as the first 6 miles are generally uphill.

My question is should I continue with the above or adapt it ?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Where are your days off :confused: Sure, Sat. ....... but not sure if thats enough. Sounds like your on the bike for 50-60 minutes.. then off(commute) ........ twice per day. Then, there is the gym sessions in between (is this correct) ???

It just seems like alot of on/off cycling in one day . It personally takes me 20-25 minutes just to initally get warmed up on the bike ....... then the next 1-2 hours are where I really begin to dig in ..... and get a good work out in. That 60- mile ride on Sun. sounds good....... but why not 50... or 75 :eek: :confused: ;)

3. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

if the 30 min sessions are at 58 min tt then you are on the right track, to go fast you need to train at a faster pace, going 40kph for 30 mins will not help you go 40kph for 1 hour, if you are not at 58min pace then only do 20 or 15 min intervals and keep reducing recovery time

4. Waitforme

Waitforme New Member

Thanks guys

Adam, yes , I do a lot of on - off cycling per day with the commute and gym session ! Only non cycling day is a Sat.
    Just wondering if I can put these sessions to more use with my goal of getting under the hour in mind.
    Will work on making my 30 mins on the bike as hard as I can sustain for 30 mins, set a PB on it on Friday :) Perhaps I'll do a couple of days per week at 2 x 15 mins but at a harder pace.
    Worked hard on the 60 run yesterday and the legs are a bit tired today, should I give them a workout at lunchtime or have an easyish spin ?
    I have the same dilema on the way home, after a hard lunchtime session I can get the legs burning on the hills on the way home, is this beneficial or should I be letting them rest after the lunchtime session ?
    Basically I don't know whether to train on tired legs or not.

5. DJA

DJA New Member

Rest your legs just spin home, try to just easy spin at 100 to 120 your legs dont work to hard but you still get a good cardio work out.
    Even try 3 intervals of 10min at 42-43kph or even fast as long as you can hold it for the full 10 min rest 3min in between at 25 kph.

6. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Like I say- ride like you feel :eek: ;) If you feel great, go balls out. If you feel sluggish/tired .... go really easy- or take the day off completely.

In terms of you coming home w/tired legs, I'd say spin really easy(high RPM/cadence)- dont do too much, get home and eat/drink up !