General Tso's Chicken

Rusty Unger

Guest
Anyone have a good recipe for General Tso's Chicken. This authentic chinese food is great, but I
can't find a good recipe for it. Thanks

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:25:45 -0400, Rusty Unger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Anyone have a good recipe for General Tso's Chicken. This authentic chinese food is great, but I
>can't find a good recipe for it. Thanks

Here are some from 1994 I found via Google groups.

General Tso's Chicken

Siam Oriental Restaraunt as prepared by Chef Paul Kaewprasart Voted one of
the top 10 dishes in Columbus by Columbus Monthly Magazine.

1/2 cup cornstarch 3 pounds dark deboned chicken meat
2/4 cup water cut into large chunks 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic 1/4 cup soy sauce 1 1/2 tsp minced
ginger 1 tsp white pepper
3/4 cup sugar 1 egg
4/2 cup soy sauce 1 cup cornstarch
5/4 cup white vinegar 1 cup salad oil 1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth 2 cups scallions, diced 1 tsp
M.S.G. (optional) 16 small dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and
wine. Then add chicken broth and M.S.G. and stir until sugar disolves. Refrigerate until needed.

In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in egg. Add cornstarch until chicken is
coated evenly. Add oil to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-
fry at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.

Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add scallions and peppers and stir-fry
briefly. Stir sauce; add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens. Add either
cornstarch or water as needed. Serve with rice. Serves 6 - 8.

Source: From "A Taste Of Columbus" Volume III Favorite recipes from leading Central Ohio
Restaraunts.
From: [email protected] (ARNIE SKUROW) Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking Subject: General
Tso's Chicken (RECIPE) Date: 10 Jan 90 19:15:34 GMT

I know we've had quite a bit of traffic on this net referring to General Tso's Chicken lately. In
today's Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch is a recipe for General Tso's chicken that sounded wonderful, and I
am sending it on to you verbatim and without permission.

Quoting from the article the recipe was contained in, "The dish is not difficult to make and can be
prepared partially in advance. The crunch texture of the chicken pieces is achieved by coating them
with egg and cornstarch, then deep-frying them twice - once to cook them through and once at a
higher temperature to make them brown and crisp. The velvety sweet-sour sauce, which is combined
with the chicken at the last minute, provides a wonderful counterpoint."

"The amount of heat is your option. Sixteen small dried red peppers provide a moderate amount of
heat. Add more or less to taste, but be careful not to bite into one. They are dynamite!"

----------------------------
General Tso's Chicken

1 egg 1 TBSP cornstarch 1 lb boned, skinned chicken cut from thigh or breast into 2 inch chuncks
Vegetable oil About 16 small dried hot red chili peppers 4 to 5 green onions, cut diagonally into 1"
pieces 1 Clove garlic, finely minced
6/4 tsp grated fresh gingerroot

Sauce

4 tsp cornstarch 4 tsp sugar 4 tsp rice vinegar 6 TBSP soy sauce
7/4 C chicken broth
8/4 C water
9/4 C dry sherry wine

Whisk together thoroughly the egg and cornstarch. Add pieces of chicken, turning to coat evenly.

In wok or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 F. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time until
lightly browned and just cooked through. Drain on paper towels.

Combine sauce ingredients, mixing well. Set aside. (The chicken may be fried the first time up to
one hour in advance; the sauce can be combined several days in advance and kept covered in the
refrigerator.)

In frying pan, heat 1 TBSP of oil until hot. Add chili peppers and cook until blackened. Add onions
and stir-fry about one minute. Add garlic and ginger, cooking briefly, but do not brown. Remove
from heat.

Reheat deep oil to 400 F. Return chicken to fat, in batches, and cook until crisp and golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.

Re-stir sauce and add to frying pan with onions and peppers. Cook, stirring until thickened and
bubbly. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until well coated and heated through. Serve over rice. Makes
3 to 4 servings. End

No, you aren't doing anything wrong, except for using the first recipe
:).
Deep-frying twice will result in a coating which is crispier and less greasy.

Following is yet another recipe for General Tso's chicken. The seasoning sauce is the tricky part of
the dish. Instead of thickening with corn starch as in most Chinese dishes, it is necessary to
caramelize the mixture, as in making candy. I suspect some restaurants use honey as the sweetener in
the sauce instead of sugar.

GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN
---------------------

INGREDIENTS:

2 whole chicken breasts 1 orange rind, minced 2+ dried hot chili peppers, crushed 1 tablespoon fresh
ginger, minced
10/2 cup cornstarch
11/3 cup fried peanuts (w/out skin), chopped

BATTER: SEASONING SAUCE:

1 egg 6 tablespoons sugar
12/4 cup beer 3 tablespoons cider vinegar 2 tablespoons soy sauce 5 tablespoons soy sauce
13/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cornstarch
14/4 cup flour
15/4 cup cornstarch
16/2 teaspoon baking powder dash of pepper

DIRECTIONS:

17. Skin and bone the chicken. Cut into 1-1/2" x 2" strips.

18. Mix batter. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat. Cover and chill for
19/2 hour.

20. Mix seasoning sauce.

21. Coat each piece of chicken well with cornstarch. Arrange chicken on well-floured wax paper.

22. Heat 2-3" of oil in a pan until very hot. Fry chicken for 30 seconds. Drain well on a cookie
sheet covered with paper towels.

23. Reheat oil over high heat until very hot. Refry chicken until crispy and golden brown. Drain
again and keep hot in oven.

24. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok over medium heat. Fry orange rind until golden brown. Add chili
and ginger, stir-frying 20 seconds. Mix in seasoning sauce and heat to boil, stirring constantly
until foam subsides and the sauce thickens slightly and turns to glaze (about 2 minutes or
more). Add fried chicken, tossing to coat well. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat, The rats come right up and peer into the pot. -- Han Shan

Rusty Unger wrote:

> Anyone have a good recipe for General Tso's Chicken. This authentic chinese food is great, but I
> can't find a good recipe for it. Thanks

Here's 2

General Tso's Chicken Peng Teng 4 servings

4 Chicken legs
1/2 cup Soy sauce
2/2 cup Distilled white vinegar 1 Garlic clove, minced 1 tsp peeled, minced gingerroot 1 tsp
Cornstarch 1 Large egg, beaten lightly
3/3 cup Corn oil 4 Dried hot chilis, seeded

Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and
keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and
cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces. In a bowl
combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 cup water, the garlic and gingerroot. In another bowl, combine
the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet
until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the
chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add
the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high
heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through. Transfer it to a heated serving dish.

----

General Tso Chicken

Sauce:
4/2 cup cornstarch
5/4 cup water 1+1/2 tsp minced garlic 1+1/2 tsp minced ginger root
6/4 cup sugar
7/2 cup soy sauce
8/4 cup white vinegar
9/4 cup cooking wine 1+1/2 cup hot chicken broth 1 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)

Meat: 3 lbs deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
10/4 cup soy sauce 1 tsp white pepper 1 egg 1 cup cornstarch Vegetable oil for deep-frying 2 cups
sliced green onions 16 small dried hot peppers

Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, vinegar, wine,
chicken broth and MSG (if desired). Stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed. In
separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1 cup cornstarch
and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Add cup of vegetable oil to help separate chicken
pieces. Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain on
paper towels. Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add onions and
peppers and stir-fry briefly. Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until
sauce thickens.

--
Recipe Station: http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]

FREE Trial Game Downloads: http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/games