Generator Light Recommendation Wanted

Billy

Guest
I don't want to start another holy war over generator systems vs. battery
systtems, but I'd like some recommendations regarding generators & lights.
I've searched the archives for the ng and I still have some questions. The
availability of generator lights here in the U.S. is, AFAICT, limited to the
following:

- Schmidt hub & bottle models (high end)
- Litespin (high end)
- various Sanden models (mid level)
- various Sanyo models (mid level)
- Union bottle & BB models (mid to low end)
- various low end models (around $15)

I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough on something that
may not suit my needs, so I'm sticking with 6V 3W models. I
plan to use it to commute and/or extend my exercise rides.
The area would be mostly unlit roads between subdivisions
and industrial parks. I'm favoring the Union bottle
generator because, from what I've read, it puts out as much
light as any, and is the cheapest, decent generator. If I
can accept the light output, I may upgrade to something else
How does the adjustable beam of the Sanyos and Sandens
compare with the fixed Lumotec and BiSy lights? How does the
light in the Union compare? Can anyone recommend other
systems available in the US?

Thanks.

Billy

I use a Lumotec Oval powered by a Dymotec S6. It'll be fine
for what you have in mind.

Another bike I have is lighted by a very powerful battery
system. While it's sort of neat that I have the light of a
motorcycle, it's more than I need.

One concern I have is wear on the sidewall of the
lightweight tires I use. If I didn't have fenders and a
braze on tab I'd fit the generator so that the generator
wheel rides over the tread part of the tire.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

"Billy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qLGHc.14-
[email protected]...
> I don't want to start another holy war over generator
> systems vs. battery systtems, but I'd like some
> recommendations regarding generators & lights. I've
> searched the archives for the ng and I still have some
> questions.
The
> availability of generator lights here in the U.S. is,
> AFAICT, limited to
the
> following:
>
> - Schmidt hub & bottle models (high end)
> - Litespin (high end)
> - various Sanden models (mid level)
> - various Sanyo models (mid level)
> - Union bottle & BB models (mid to low end)
> - various low end models (around $15)
>
> I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough on something that
> may not suit my needs, so I'm sticking with 6V 3W models.
> I plan to use it to commute and/or extend my exercise
> rides. The area would be mostly unlit roads between
> subdivisions and industrial parks. I'm favoring the Union
> bottle generator because, from what I've read, it puts out
> as much light as any, and is the cheapest, decent
> generator. If I can accept the light output,
> may upgrade to something else How does the adjustable beam
> of the Sanyos and Sandens compare with the fixed Lumotec
> and BiSy lights? How does the light in the Union compare?
> Can anyone recommend other systems available
in
> the US?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Billy

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I use a Lumotec Oval powered by a Dymotec S6. It'll be
> fine for what you have in mind.

What is the difference between the Lumotec Oval and the
standard Lumotec? Is it just cosmetic?

> Another bike I have is lighted by a very powerful battery
> system. While
it's
> sort of neat that I have the light of a motorcycle, it's
> more than I need.

Which one do you use the most?

> One concern I have is wear on the sidewall of the
> lightweight tires I use. If I didn't have fenders and a
> braze on tab I'd fit the generator so that the generator
> wheel rides over the tread part of the tire.

I'll be putting it on a mtn bike w/slicks, or an old 10
speed w/27x1/25" tires. I think I could run off the tread on
either bike.

> Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Thanks.

Billy