generator lights for commuting how good are they?

On 1 Feb 2007 06:53:27 -0800, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have both the Shimano DH-3N71 and the Schmidt SON; my wife has a
>SON, too. While the Shimano has a tiny bit more drag than the SON it
>is only barely perceptible.

Where do you notice that difference - when riding, or only when
spinning the wheel by hand?

On Feb 1, 10:45 am, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2007 06:53:27 -0800, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have both the Shimano DH-3N71 and the Schmidt SON; my wife has a
> >SON, too. While the Shimano has a tiny bit more drag than the SON it
> >is only barely perceptible.

> Where do you notice that difference - when riding, or only when
> spinning the wheel by hand?

When riding. Again, the difference is very, very slight. And neither
has enough extra drag over other wheels with Ultegra or Phil Wood hubs
to really cause any concern. Originally I would use the dynohubs Oct-
Apr only, swapping to a standard hub for the rest of the year. But
since there is no real penalty I just leave the dynohub and light on
year round, then I can go out at night if I have to on the spur of the
moment.

- rick

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Jan 26, 3:40 am, "Sirrus Rider"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> How do generator lights powered by Dynamo hubs like
>> (SONs), Shimano Nexus, Sturmy Archer (GH6 or Newer)
>> measure up for commuting? How do they compare to say
>> Niterider evolution smart lights?

> Others have answered well. But I'll emphasize, it doesn't
> really have to be a hub generator. Almost all generators
> on the market put out similar electricity, whether hub
> units, bottle units or bottom bracket (roller) units. Yes,
> some are a little stronger or weaker, but in most cases the
> differences are fairly small.
><snip>

> BTW, an interesting compromise is the Aufa (nee FER) spoke
> drive generator. Kind of clunky looking, and a bit noisy,
> but no slippage, more efficient than most generators, and
> much less expensive than a hub unit. See
> http://www.aufa.de/index.php?subsite=products&category=2&fil
> ter=&detail=36
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Frank-

Where did you buy this generator, and how much did it cost?
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive generator setup that
works well in slippery conditions. This looks like it might
fit the bill, but I can't find anywhere to get the thing.

Thanks,
Owen