Road Cycling · Public discussion

Genetic doping, testing, and political correctness

Started by Bill C · · Last activity · 3 posts · 333 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 August 2006
Last activity
22 August 2006
Original author
Bill C
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
333
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have tons of questions about this situation and testosterone levels,
    medications, etc...
    Which set of values are they using for this testing? What are the
    effects of the hormones in transexual surgery? Are levels that would
    get someone banned being accepted in the name of political correctness?
    etc...?

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/aug06/aug22news

    Schoeter apologises
    Canadian downhill racer Danika Schoeter has formally apologized for her
    involvement in an incident at the podium presentation of the Canadian
    downhill national championships on July 23.

    On the podium, Schroeter wore a t-shirt with the slogan "100% Pure
    Woman CHAMP 2006" while her supporters shouted insults and obscenities
    at winner Michelle Dumaresq, a transsexual who has clearance from the
    Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) to race the women's category.
    Schroeter was suspended by the CCA for her part in the incident.

    Bill C

  2. Bill C said:

    I have tons of questions about this situation and testosterone levels,
    medications, etc...
    Which set of values are they using for this testing? What are the
    effects of the hormones in transexual surgery? Are levels that would
    get someone banned being accepted in the name of political correctness?
    etc...?

    Interesting. This has become an issue in golf, which I don't think has
    any drug testing. A Danish female-born-male named Mianne Bagger is
    playing the European Ladies Tour, which changed its rules ("born
    female"😉 to allow it. The Australian and British authorities, as well
    as the USGA have also changed similar rules. The LPGA however still
    has its "born female" rule. I don't know if Bagger has applied to join
    the LPGA.

  3. in message <[email hidden]>, MMan

    (') said:


    Bill C said:

    I have tons of questions about this situation and testosterone levels,
    medications, etc...
    Which set of values are they using for this testing? What are the
    effects of the hormones in transexual surgery? Are levels that would
    get someone banned being accepted in the name of political
    correctness? etc...?

    Interesting. This has become an issue in golf, which I don't think has
    any drug testing. A Danish female-born-male named Mianne Bagger is
    playing the European Ladies Tour, which changed its rules ("born
    female"😉 to allow it. The Australian and British authorities, as well
    as the USGA have also changed similar rules. The LPGA however still
    has its "born female" rule. I don't know if Bagger has applied to join
    the LPGA.

    I have to sympathise with Schroeter. Whatever the rights of people who
    feel that they were born the wrong gender, it clearly isn't a level
    playing field when people with - at least - male skeletal structure are
    riding competitively against women. Dumaresq is apparently 180lbs - the
    same weight as me, although she's four inches shorter; and I'm no skinny
    lightweight any more. That isn't outside the natural range of real
    women, but it's pushing limits; she's a big girl.

    And I find it hard to call to mind a 5' 9" 82Kg woman who was seriously
    fit. Seriously fit women (apart from steroid-pumped East Germans) are
    lighter than that. So while it /may/ be true that male-to-female
    transsexuals 'lose muscle mass', that doesn't mean they end up with the
    musculature of a woman.

    Finally, especially in downhilling, willingness to take risks has a
    significant impact on speed, and women are typically more risk-averse
    than men. Does transgendering change attitude to risk?

    If you take professional competitive sport seriously, then Dumaresq
    cannot be allowed to compete /as/ /a/ /woman/. That may be harsh on
    transsexuals, but the alternative is to abandon women's sport
    altogether. Because, whether or not she set out to cheat (and I think
    it's clear from what's written about her that she didn't), her precedent
    sets the door wide open to future cheats.

    Having said that, I personally know a m-to-f transgendered cyclist whom I
    very much like and respect. I've even invited her to enter a competition
    I'd organised (she didn't enter; I think, on reflection, that this sort
    of thing is why). This isn't an easy issue.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    .::;===r==\
    / /___||___\____
    //==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
    //____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
    \__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.