Genius 4's or Poggios

Babbar

Aug 10, 2003
I have narrowed down my shoe choice to either Sidi Genius 4's or Nike Poggios. They are both about the same price and the same quality, fit and feel.

The only difference is the Sidi's have the micro-adjust top strap whereas the Poggio's have three velcro straps.

The Nike Alteus are an altrnative, as they are about the same as the Poggio's but $40 cheaper.

To those who have worn both style of shoes, which have you found to be better.

Originally posted by Babbar
I have narrowed down my shoe choice to either Sidi Genius 4's or Nike Poggios. They are both about the same price and the same quality, fit and feel.

The only difference is the Sidi's have the micro-adjust top strap whereas the Poggio's have three velcro straps.

The Nike Alteus are an altrnative, as they are about the same as the Poggio's but $40 cheaper.

To those who have worn both style of shoes, which have you found to be better.

I've tried on the Genius 4's, but haven't seen the Nike's. I thought the Sidi's fit great, and the LBS has all the spare parts if I wear out the heel or break a strap.

Nike's may be OK too, but I'd buy the Sidi's since they are made in Italy by a real cycling company.

I tried both kinds as well. I found that for my feet, the Nikes were so narrow that I couldn't even get them on with the straps as loose as they would go. I elected to go with the Genius4s, which have been good for me (no complaints). Interestingly enough, they don't fit as good as my Specialized Mountian Bike shoes that I got for about $40 us dollars last year. Go figure

Originally posted by dhk
Nike's may be OK too, but I'd buy the Sidi's since they are made in Italy by a real cycling company.

Nikes are made in Italy by a real cycling company.

Stephen

I've used Carnacs, Shimano, Lake, Avia, and of course Sidi, and of the 5 pair listed, the Sidi hands down was the best fit! (My wide feet would never fit the narrow cut of a Nike shoe). Personally I feel the Sidi's are the finest road shoes out there!

Sidi's are $109.00 at Total Cycling + approx. $25 usd shipping to Canada and the U.S.

http://www.totalcycling.com/ (Click on 'Shoes - Road' and scroll down to find 'em).

both are good shoes. my son has the poggio and I have the genius. I've worn his from time to time, just yesterday in fact, but prefer mine...they fit me better.

both are good shoes. my son has the poggio and I have the genius. I've worn his from time to time, just yesterday in fact, but prefer mine...they fit me better.

Originally posted by sathomasga
Nikes are made in Italy by a real cycling company.

Stephen

Sorry, guess I'm ignorant of the facts and just assumed they are made in Asia by one of the giant Nike factories. So, who in Italy makes them anyway?

Originally posted by dhk
Sorry, guess I'm ignorant of the facts and just assumed they are made in Asia by one of the giant Nike factories. So, who in Italy makes them anyway?

Trek actually handles all the Nike cycling gear. I don't know what factories manufacture them, but Nike cycling shoes, shorts, jerseys, etc. all have "Made in Italy" on their labels.

Stephen

I can't answer Babbar's original question since I've never tried the Sidis, but I do have a pair of Poggios (the original, not the latest version) and love them. It's interesting that several folks have commented on Nike's being narrow. I have rather wide feet and have never been able to wear Nike training, running, etc. shoes because they are so narrow. I figured I'd *never* get into a pair of Nike cycling shoes since (a) they're Nike, and (b) they're made in Italy. Both factors would suggest that they'd be too narrow for my feet. I also figured that Nike was just a name and not a "real cycling company." Much to my surprise, when I tried on my first pair of Nike Stelvios, they fit like a glove. I have large feet (44-45), so maybe they're just wider in the larger sizes. Or maybe the other folks are like me and assume that since Nike athletic shoes are narrow, their cycling shoes would be as well. In any case, I bought the Stelvios and have been a happy Nike wearer ever since. I also have to admit that Nike cycling clothing is excellent stuff, again, much to my surprise. YMMV, but the only shorts I've found that I like better are Assos, and I can't afford enough of those. As for jerseys, the Dri-Fit stuff is far and away the best I've worn. I used to be very skeptical, but now I'm sold. Maybe that Lance guy has enough influence on Nike to get them to put out quality stuff.

For another opinion on the shoes, check out the review at http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/reviews/nike_poggio2

Stephen

Originally posted by Cipher
I've used Carnacs, Shimano, Lake, Avia, and of course Sidi, and of the 5 pair listed, the Sidi hands down was the best fit! (My wide feet would never fit the narrow cut of a Nike shoe). Personally I feel the Sidi's are the finest road shoes out there!

Sidi's are $109.00 at Total Cycling + approx. $25 usd shipping to Canada and the U.S.

http://www.totalcycling.com/ (Click on 'Shoes - Road' and scroll down to find 'em).
Surely that can't be right. These are the same ones I see online for $210? I may just have to pick up a pair.

As far as I know, the Nike Poggio shoes are made in Italy. The carbonfiber sole is made and desiged by DMT, which is an italian brand. It is the same as the DMT Ultimax sole.
About which shoe is bes, I could not tell you, have not had eiter of them om.
It is a big cliche, but try them on and see which one fits best for you. My guess is that you cannot go wrong with either of them

Thanks to all for the info on Nike. I'm glad to learn they are selling good quality italian made shoes and clothing. Will have to give them a second look when shopping for the next shoes. Still like the Sidi brand though...to me it just says cycling.