Genius at work...

Paul Schmidt

Apr 15, 2011
First I was going to mention that with so many people overweight and obesity at such high numbers, why does McPukes decide that the 1/4pounder isn't big enough, and introduce the 1/3lb burger....

I have my own d'oh moment though, so McPukes will need to weight er wait....

I'm riding along yesterday, and get a puncture (flat), so I get off, dig out the pump and tire levers, pull off the wheel and start changing the tube. I always carry a spare, take the tube out, grab the spare, put it in and it doesn't want to fit (insert sound effect of record scraping across record here). I am trying to put a 27" tube into a 26" tire... I guess when I moved the spares got mixed up and I put the wrong one in the bag. The worst part of this, I decommissioned the 27" wheels in the spring, so the tube is basically unusable. I am thinking though of building a bike trailer and using those wheels on it...

With no remaining spare, and being a good 7km from home, I was stuck, some kid is cutting his grass watching all this, he comes over and asked if I need any help. I ask if he has a phone, about the only good time to run into someone under the age of 30, they all have cell phones. I phone home, wife comes and gets me with the car.... I need to clean some grease off the back seat...

Today I got together all the spares, checked the sizes and put them in sandwich bags with the size marked on it. The cause of the puncture, misplaced rim tape, that's the 2nd time on this wheel I have had a flat due to rim tape, the rubber tape that manufacturers put on bikes is a piece of rubber not much thicker then the tube and it's ***. I need to order new tires for it this winter and I will put on new rim tape then.

Two flats from the rim strip but you are going to wait for winter to replace the strip? You are a genius! Your wife should have refused your call.

Sounds like you will be waiting on the side of the road. Replace your tape when your fix your flat. Get a cell phone for crying out loud. Mcpukes is not the reason why people are overweight they are in the business of selling food.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Sounds like you will be waiting on the side of the road. Replace your tape when your fix your flat.

Amazing! The guy say his strip is***, whatever that is but doesn't sound good. Makes it sound like a bad situation then says he can wait.

Yes, real genius at work.

I said the strip tends to wonder after a while, it was 2 years and about 4,000km between those flats, it's not a bicycle I ride everyday, most of the distance these days is on the road bike, and the bike in question is my foul weather bike. I took it that day, only because I had been fixing something else on it, and wanted to test it out. It's actually due it's 5 year rebuild at the end of the season, so I really don't want to do stuff to it, I don't need to do right away. It's getting completely taken apart and rebuilt. This is something I do every 5 years or so to each bike, on those cold winter days when the only riding that is possible is on the trainer. I was more annoyed that I had the wrong size tube in the bag, if I hadn't I probably would have just swapped them and moved on.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Sounds like you will be waiting on the side of the road. Replace your tape when your fix your flat. Get a cell phone for crying out loud. Mcpukes is not the reason why people are overweight they are in the business of selling food.
The flat is fixed already, I actually don't want a cell phone, I like being able to head out on a country road, and be away from everyone, with the gentle hum of the chain, and song of the tires, the only noise around. Last thing I want is some blasted idiot phoning me about nothing important.

Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt .
Last thing I want is some blasted idiot phoning me about nothing important.

The phone has an off button. I never used to carry mine but lately there have ben so many cycling accidents that I figure it might be a good idea to have one handy. But it is always off and only turned on for an emergency whcih hasn't happened. So I can say that I have not once been bothered on a ride by a call.

BTW, you seem to have a very negative attitude. Bashing McPuke, bashing people under 30. It's obvious that you are in contol of your own actions as the above poster suggests. For instance, I had no idea that McPuke had a 1/3 burger but you knew. I don't visit McPuke and if another person does, they aren't forced to eat there.

I've met many great people under the age of 30.

You must be upset with the world.

Originally Posted by DaPunisher .
Me, I'm not upset with anyone, I just find some things worthy of discussion. I wasn't bashing folks under 30, just observed they do all seem to have cell phones... I know cell phones have off buttons, I had one, once, I found that once you have a cell phone, people will ask to no-end why they couldn't get you on it, and strangely enough, not wanting to be bothered wasn't a good enough answer -- especially to the missus who wants you to pick up a 4L bag of milk and a 10kg bag of cat litter, a little tough to do on the road bike, which has no racks. I also found that strangely enough around here a $25/month plan comes with a $125/month bill, so I got rid of the phone. I have not missed that phone. I probably would have walked to the nearest house and asked them to phone, worst came to worst, I have a fried that was 1.5km away and a lady who attends my church about the same, I could have hoofed it that far.

As for McPukes, I don't know, no your not forced to eat it, but think of it this way, the percentage of the population that is obese is climbing steadily, and the percentage that is morbidly obese is nearly at epidemic proportions, so what do we need, in the midst of this health crisis, we need a bigger burger!! Yeah I know, it's all marketing, and the actual weight difference between the burgers is quite small, about 37g (1 1/3 oz), but still.....

The whole meaning of the thread, if you have more then one bike, with different size wheels, make sure the tube your carrying is the right size.

Oh, I forgot one other thing about cell phones, they work pretty well in town, but given that we have a lot of rock around here, there are a lot of areas where they don't work, that day was lucky, they work okey to the South, not so well to the North....

Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt .
The whole meaning of the thread, if you have more then one bike, with different size wheels, make sure the tube your carrying is the right size.

I've never used 27 tubes but from what I've seen, they must be very similar to 700 tubes (some have an equiv to a 27 marked on tube). I also use 26 inch tubes on my other bikes.

So when I move the tubes around, there is a noticeable diffeence in weight and width while handling the tubes. Very noticeble even as I keep my spares wrapped in a baggie, I can tell a difference while handling before placing them in the sadlle bag. Maybe I haven't reached the genius status yet but I've never made that mistake in several years of riding several bikes.

The 26" are intended for 1.25" - 1.5", it has Schraeder valves, the 27" is intended for 1" - 1.25" and also has Schraeder valves, the two are from the place I get my cheapie tubes ($3 each), so they are not light-weights, they originally came in the same size box, the 700C I have here are intended for a 25-28mm tire, and have Presta valves. This makes them a lot easier to keep separate, they are also are $10 tubes I got for $2.50 on sale /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

The 27" wheels were decommissioned in the spring, and I switched the bags around over the winter, the one that was on the road bike is now on the mountain bike, the one that was on the mountain bike is now on my wifes, and the one that was on my wifes is now on the road bike. Each bag had a tube in it, for flats, so the 27" tube was in the bag when it should not have been. I put them in marked bags, so it will be easier to tell them apart. This has the advantage of when the tube in is a seat bag, it would be harder to damage if there is something sharp in the bag as well, like tools or keys.