Road Cycling · Public discussion

George Banker...World Champion?

Started by Race170 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,045 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 March 2004
Last activity
12 April 2004
Original author
Race170
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,045
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA is organizing
    sports memorabila for their sports section. They intend to
    include an area for cycling. George Banker who rode for the
    Pittsburgh Athletic Club is identified as the "1st American
    World Champion". This apparently occurred around the late
    1800's, however, there is little info. found locally about
    this rider. If you have info. on George Banker or know where
    his palmares can be found, please email me at
    [email hidden] Thank you - Fred Baldassare

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Race170
    The Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA is organizing
    sports memorabila for their sports section. They intend to
    include an area for cycling. George Banker who rode for the
    Pittsburgh Athletic Club is identified as the "1st American
    World Champion". This apparently occurred around the late
    1800's, however, there is little info. found locally about
    this rider. If you have info. on George Banker or know where
    his palmares can be found, please email me at
    [email hidden] Thank you - Fred Baldassare

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by FNauwelaerts

    RESULTS OF GEORGE BANKER IN EUROPA

    1892 (grand BI) Brownsville 1 place
    Springfield with C Hess (tandem) 1 place Worldrecord 1 mile

    1894 G P Paris 1 place
    GP UVF Paris 2 place
    26 8 1894 - 500 m in 35" 2/5 (1 place)
    1895 GP UVF (France) 1 place
    GP Antwerp(en) (Belgium) 1 place
    GP Roubaix (France) 1 place
    Austrian Derby 1 place
    Paris race 3 place
    - W C Köln (Germany) sprint
    1 manche: 1 Banker, 2 Huet, 3 Protin (protest Protin)
    2 manche: 1 Protin, 2 Banker, 3 Huet (protest Banker)
    no 3 manche

    after this: patient of Typhoid

    1898 come back
    W C Vienna (Austria) 1 Banker, 2 Frans Verheyen (Bel), 3 Jacquelin (France)

    winter 1898 GP Tunis 1 place

    1899 Austrian Derby 1 place
    GP Oostende (Belgium) 1 place

    Greatings from Belgium

    🙂

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by FNauwelaerts

    Hi Fred: I just stumbled across your post. I'm the curator at the Heinz History Center working on the biking section. I've been looking for info on George Banker and coming up with frustratingly little on him. How did you learn about the exhibit? And do you know anything about George? I've been able to find some info on his family, particulalry on his brother Arthur, but George seems to disappear from Pittsburgh around 1905. I've never been able to find a photo of him. I'll have to write and thank the person in Belgium. That's the first real info I've seen on him. Lauren Uhl Heinz History Center [email hidden]

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by FNauwelaerts
    RESULTS OF GEORGE BANKER IN EUROPA

    1892 (grand BI) Brownsville 1 place
    Springfield with C Hess (tandem) 1 place Worldrecord 1 mile

    1894 G P Paris 1 place
    GP UVF Paris 2 place
    26 8 1894 - 500 m in 35" 2/5 (1 place)
    1895 GP UVF (France) 1 place
    GP Antwerp(en) (Belgium) 1 place
    GP Roubaix (France) 1 place
    Austrian Derby 1 place
    Paris race 3 place
    - W C Köln (Germany) sprint
    1 manche: 1 Banker, 2 Huet, 3 Protin (protest Protin)
    2 manche: 1 Protin, 2 Banker, 3 Huet (protest Banker)
    no 3 manche

    after this: patient of Typhoid

    1898 come back
    W C Vienna (Austria) 1 Banker, 2 Frans Verheyen (Bel), 3 Jacquelin (France)

    winter 1898 GP Tunis 1 place

    1899 Austrian Derby 1 place
    GP Oostende (Belgium) 1 place


    Greatings from Belgium

    Dear FN:
    I was so surprised and happy to stumble across your response to Fred Baldassare. I'm the curator at the Heinz History Center working on the bike racing section of our new sports exhibit and I've looked everywhere for info about George Banker. How do you know about him? Where did you find the info on his race wins? Have you ever seen a picture of him? I'd love to include him in the exhibit but I just didn't have enought information to go on. Is there any chance you know the date he won the Grand Prix in Paris? If so I might be able to check newspapers in Pittsburgh to see if there's any mention of him. Thanks so much for your help and response. Lauren Uhl, Curator Heinz History Center






    🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.