George Best

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Poor old George Best passed away today.

It's a sad day.
He ultimately lost his battle with alcoholism and died today after being rished to hospital several days ago.

It is a sad day too for the relatives of the person who donated their liver to George.
When George recovered from the transplant, I can clearly recall his determination to stay off the booze. He meant every word, I have no doubt.
I thought that he would be able to do - but unfortunately the disease got the better of him.

I am sure some will say that it was a waste donating an organ to him.
I don't know about that.

I just recall what a great player he was (I can just about recall his later career).

It's a sad day.

limerickman said:
Poor old George Best passed away today.

It's a sad day.
He ultimately lost his battle with alcoholism and died today after being rished to hospital several days ago.

It is a sad day too for the relatives of the person who donated their liver to George.
When George recovered from the transplant, I can clearly recall his determination to stay off the booze. He meant every word, I have no doubt.
I thought that he would be able to do - but unfortunately the disease got the better of him.

I am sure some will say that it was a waste donating an organ to him.
I don't know about that.

I just recall what a great player he was (I can just about recall his later career).

It's a sad day.

yes , a sad day but maybe for the better as his health has been on the slopes for a long time .
I always wonder how much longer he could have played if the refs had protected him more on the pitch - some of those tackles were evil .
Best memory ? that match when he scored 7 goals - he´ll be missed .

MountainPro said:
a legend

RIP George.
And RIP Jim Price, known to members of this forum site as Boudreaux, who has died in hospital following a road accident.

I don't who is Geroge Best is... But I'm sorry to hear of any death from alcoholism.

I don't often tell this, but I will here b/c cycling helped me beat alcoholism.

When I was 24 I realized that I had been drunk every night for two years. I had my first drink when I was 18 and I drank for six years constantly. I was very unhappy and I decided that I needed to get sober. Shortly after I stopped drinking I bought a bike and I found something that I loved. I started riding to work and immediately I realized that cycling was a special thing.

I am an alcoholic. It's my nature. But I also got out early. I knew that there was a better life to live. Cycling gave me that life. The pure, amazing fun of riding a bike is one of the best feelings I've ever felt. Whenever I worry about drinking, I think of my bike and I think of my favorite cyclists. I know that if I get up early and ride, I will have a grat day. It's helped me stay sober for almost five years.

Alcoholism is a wicked affliction. It kills 90%. I go to meetings three times a week and I see the sadness of addiction. For me, cycling gave me something to love and it helped me a lot. Some people can never emerge from the sadness. I feel for them. So Geroge Best, I never knew you, but I feel for you and your family.

RIP George!

And Boudreaux! Is that right Don? Boudreaux is no longer with us?

On a side note, I was appalled by the media over the week leading up to George Best's death - they practically hounded him into his grave. On the radio his Doctor kept giving hourly updates of his condition, every hour until he died. The media is a bunch of ****ing vultures, desperate for the smell of blood, death and lies, on which to feed its fat, evil, elf-obsessed gut. I hope all the journalists involved are cursed by the ghost of GB and lead miserable sorry lives for the few days they've got left. (rant).

Stay off the booze, y'all. :)

i also have to say that i think the media coverage of Best last few days was terrible and left the man with zero dignity in his dying hours. Cameras camped outside the hospital 24/7. every piece if medical information about him was divulged to the newspapers...

they should have let him die privately and in peace and dignity...

wheelist said:
RIP George!

And Boudreaux! Is that right Don? Boudreaux is no longer with us?

On a side note, I was appalled by the media over the week leading up to George Best's death - they practically hounded him into his grave. On the radio his Doctor kept giving hourly updates of his condition, every hour until he died. The media is a bunch of ****ing vultures, desperate for the smell of blood, death and lies, on which to feed its fat, evil, elf-obsessed gut. I hope all the journalists involved are cursed by the ghost of GB and lead miserable sorry lives for the few days they've got left. (rant).

Stay off the booze, y'all. :)