George Galloway & US Senate

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by limerickman, May 17, 2005.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

George Galloway appeared at the US Senate today to give his rebuttal to the "evidence" gather by the US Senate Committe in to the Oil for Food program.

Essentially the Senate accused GG of getting barrels from SH for GG's political opposition to the Oil for Food porgram and the UN sanctions, imposed on Iraq
    during the 1990's.

The evidence cited by the US Senate was a re-hash of the documents produced by the Christian Science Monitor and the documents used by the Sunday Telegragh to libel GG.
    GG won a libel case against the ST in the London High Court and proved that the documents were fraudulent and the CSM publicly apologised to GG for basing it's report on fraudulent documents.
    This did not prevent the US Senate from re-hashing these urban myths to try to implicate GG.

GG faced down the committee today with a clinical dissection of their allegations.
    He told that chairman Norm Coleman that not only was his committees report
    wrong, but that he (GG) had been found guilty on the basis of documents proven to fraudulent !
    GG made this committee look very incompetent today.

This US committee also relied on the testimony of SH's deputy, who is currently held in Abu Ghuraib, to qualify it's accusation that GG was paid in oil by SH.
    GG made the point that any testimony from someone residing in Abu Ghuraib couldn't be relied upon given what we all know happened (happens ?) there.
    GG entered a full dossier of his speeches opposing SH, per Hansard, in to the
    record of the Committee hearings.

Needless to say GG wiped the floor with the committee.

For the record, can any one of our American people here tell us who
    Mr.Levin is ?
    I am interested in his name and background.
    He is a member of the US Senate Committee hearing conducting this enquiry.
    Thanks.

Tags:

2. darkboong

darkboong New Member

I saw the GG video on the BBC website, pretty good stuff. That video didn't show the Circus^WCommittee speaking though, I would have liked to have seen what their reaction was. They looked as though they really didn't want to be there from the brief pictures of their faces, in fact they looked so pissed off that I might hazard a guess that they were forced to be there...

Me too FWIW.

3. darkboong

darkboong New Member

And in answer to that : Is Carl Levin the guy you are asking about Limerickman ?

http://www.senate.gov/~levin/

He is in direct opposition to Dubya's Social Security "Reforms". Maybe he's been sent to deal with Galloway as some kind of cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

His opening statement is rather interesting :
    http://www.senate.gov/~levin/newsroom/release.cfm?id=237716

A few choice quotes :

And then we come to this :
    Please note how the UN was raising flags and the US Government was blithely ignoring their warnings and requests for co-operation ?

Funny how the US Government has suddenly found it's scruples now that it has direct control of Iraq's oil. Here is a specific example of sanction busting that the US directly co-operated in :

It gets even worse :

So not only was the Bush Regime aware of American companies directly involved in sanctions busting on a huge scale, but they explicitly *granted* permission for it to occur. Keep that in mind the next time someone rants on about UN corruption in the OFP. How the hell was the UN meant to police the sanctions when the nations enforcing the sanctions (ie: the US) were actively breaking them ? The heart of the corruption lies within Washington.

By and large it looks like Levin ain't pulling any punches, good on him, that statement has put right a lot of wrongs. I'll bet it never gets aired in primetime mainstream US media, prove me wrong someone and I'll buy you a beer when/if you visit Blighty. :)

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

The guy called Levin who spoke today, was little greyhaired bloke with a sallow complexion.

5. darkboong

darkboong New Member

I probably made the right guess then judging by that statement. :p

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yep that is the guy who asked GG some questions today.
    That's the guy you've linked in your message.

7. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

Galloway claims victory over Senate committee

"We blew them away,"

"From the emails and feedback we've had from all over the world it is true undoubtedly that there was a worldwide audience out there waiting for someone to speak the truth to power,"

"I did a bit of sanction busting," he said, brandishing a cigar. "I smoked a Havana cigar just like this one. I smoked it inside the Capitol building, I even blew the smoke at the White House."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050518/325/fjbiw.html

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I saw GG saying this on Newsnight last night after returning from Washington
    at a RESPECT party meeting.
    Superb stuff.

9. Carrera

Carrera New Member

There are a lot of nasty folks lurking around the White House and my guess is they will be out to get GG big time. I think the accusations were made after Blair was humiliated in the London election and Galloway rubbed it in. This information probably drifted to the Senate and the first attempt was made to try and accuse Galloway of misconduct.
    There are many people who also believe Dr David Kelly may have been a victim of a similar witch hunt and Kelly was less able to handle the pressure.
    Then you have Abu Hamza. In my opinion real terrorists don't stand in the middle of London and preach anti-U.S. diatribes. In Hamza's case, of course, it was easier to dig around and try and find something to pin on him but the truth is they wanted to shut him up.
    George Galloway has already had serious threats made against him by Islamic extremists as well. He's surrounded by very dangerous enemies on all sides. I seem to recall Muhammad Ali being tracked by Hoover and Klan Members during his Vietnam stand-off and Malcolm X was bumped off.