Georges Hall to Turramurra

kakman

Dec 3, 2005
For any Sydneysiders, I have to go from Georges Hall to Turramurra on the weekend and I'm looking to stay on bike paths or quiet road as much as possible - in particular I want to avoid Centennial Drive and Lane Cove Rd.

Does anyone have suggestions on bike paths or less busy roads which might be suitable? I don't mind if it's not a direct route, just something where I can avoid the traffic. Oh, and not 'off road' - I'm on a road bike.

thanks

//k

kakman said:
For any Sydneysiders, I have to go from Georges Hall to Turramurra on the weekend and I'm looking to stay on bike paths or quiet road as much as possible - in particular I want to avoid Centennial Drive and Lane Cove Rd.

Does anyone have suggestions on bike paths or less busy roads which might be suitable? I don't mind if it's not a direct route, just something where I can avoid the traffic. Oh, and not 'off road' - I'm on a road bike.

thanks

//k

from Canley Vale to Parramatta via Parramatta Liverpool railtrail,
then to Meadowbank via M4 viaduct path, back streets of Silverwater to Silverwater bridge, then Parramata Valley cycleway.
follow railway line through West Ryde, Denistone, to Eastwood (path along western side of line between Denistone and Eastwood.
Then follow Vimiera Rd to end at M2. Under M2 through Browns Water Hole along bike path to Kissing Point Rd in Turramurra

Mike

kakman said:

thanks

//k
not sure about the south side of things, but if you can get to Eastwood, then you could go along Vimera Road (from the corner of Blaxland/Balaclava Road) to the end (at the M2), go under the M2 and take the bike path through the bush (concrete path not offroad) which then leads to the bottom of Kissing Point Road which then leads all the way up to Turramurra town centre.

If you can get to Bicentennial Park/Homebush, you find your way out at Rhodes shopping centre, head along the west side of the train line, back under the bridge and go over the rail bridge (bike path). there is then a relatively easy way to get up to Eastwood by staying to the west of the trainline and taking back roads. you would have to find your way through the 'town centre' out to Vimera Road.

Sorry about the vagaries (sp), but hope this provides some clue. By using the above with a street directory or bikely.com you should be able to work out a reasonable route.

EDIT: I think that Mike makes it a bit clearer.

mikeg said:
then Parramata Valley cycleway.
follow railway line through West Ryde, Denistone, to Eastwood (path along western side of line between Denistone and Eastwood.
Then follow Vimiera Rd to end at M2. Under M2 through Browns Water Hole along bike path to Kissing Point Rd in Turramurra
thanks for that. I've neve been along the Parramatta Cycleway but it shouldn't be too hard to find. I picked up the Parramatta map off the RTA site and I'll copy the appropriate pages out of the UBD.

I normally ride the Prospect loop so I should at least make it to Guildford without getting lost:)

thanks again

//k

Just a follow up to let you know how it went.

Set off around 10 (my wife was leaving by car at the same time and we were a bit hurried getting the kids together). About 5k out realise I don't have the numerous pages of cue sheets and comments I printed last night - but I do have a full map covering the whole area. Decide to take back roads to Olympic park and fly along with strong tailwinds - averaging around 35 kph.

Fumble around trying to find the path to Meadowbank - get lost a few times - then chat to a guy who's going that way so follow him. Take a wrong turn at Meadowbank but get onto Rydale St and the map says it'll get me to Blaxland Rd. Cruise along a k or so and run into a 'substantial' hill - looks like a 12 story block a flats rising in front of me. Just about to start the climb when I see a sign for the Eastwood/Densitone bike trail. Took about a nano-second to decide which way to go. Down to Victoria Rd, cross over and head to Eastwood. Miss the rail crossing and have to backtrack but eventually make my way up to Vimera St.

Get to the 'end' of Vimera St and look for the trail running through the park to get to Kissing Point Road. Check the map again, ride around for about 10 k looking for the right trail. Stumble onto a couple of guys going the other way and it turns out I wasn't at the 'end' of Vimera St. Didn't realise the road continued on and became the trail to KPR. Down the hill, all the time realising there had to be an UP on the other side. Got up there OK but struggled big time a little further along on KPR - there's a bit a few hundred metres before the Pacific Highway which broke me badly. Caught my breath and finished the rest easy - just in time for lunch:) - albeit feeling ridiculously stupid for so many reasons.

Total distance was only 48k (should have been about 35 I reckon) and it took @ 2.5 hours - but I spent 24 minutes of that stopping and looking at maps.

At least next time I'll know the way and from now on, whenever I go an unknown route, I WILL remember to take the cue sheets - lesson learned.

cheers

/k