Geraint and Google Groups

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Kahn, May 27, 2003.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Does anyone, possibly even the man himself, know why none of Geraint Jones' posts seem to show up in
    Google Groups? He's there only when quoted by someone else.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 27 May 2003 02:25:33 -0700, Dave Kahn did issue forth:

    > Does anyone, possibly even the man himself, know why none of Geraint Jones' posts seem to show up
    > in Google Groups? He's there only when quoted by someone else.

    Geraint uses the "X-No-Archive: yes" header in his posts, so they don't get archived by Google.

    Huw

  3. In article <[email protected]>, dkahn400 @yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Does anyone, possibly even the man himself, know why none of Geraint Jones' posts seem to show up
    > in Google Groups? He's there only when quoted by someone else.

    He includes the following line in his headers:

    Google Groups respects this and does not archive his posts. The default, if no such line appears, is
    no to no-archive.

    Colin

  4. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, dkahn400 @yahoo.co.uk says...
    > > Does anyone, possibly even the man himself, know why none of Geraint Jones' posts seem to show
    > > up in Google Groups? He's there only when quoted by someone else.
    >
    > He includes the following line in his headers:

    > Google Groups respects this and does not archive his posts. The default, if no such line appears,
    > is no to no-archive.

    As a matter of interest, Google also provides a tool for posters to remove their own posts, you do
    need to use a valid email for this though.

    http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=log in

  5. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >He includes the following line in his headers:

    >Google Groups respects this and does not archive his posts. The default, if no such line appears,
    >is no to no-archive.

    It appears that Google doesn't archive even with a header like mine
    - which is supposed to specifically state that my articles can be archived, but appears to have
    the opposite effect.
    --
    Selah

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

  7. Stephen Gower <[email protected]> wrote: ( -- ) Selah

    I don't know... when I were a lad, and it were all binary trees round 'ere, it used to be
    Exceedingly Bad Form to put someone's name on the subject line of a news posting.

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 14:08:37 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
    Jones) wrote:

    >I don't know... when I were a lad, and it were all binary trees round 'ere, it used to be
    >Exceedingly Bad Form to put someone's name on the subject line of a news posting.

    Really? I thought I knew a little bit about netiquette but I've never come across that one before,
    and it seems to happen reasonably often in u.r.c without exciting comment. However, if I offended
    you I apologise.

    I raised the question as I was wondering why you were being quoted regularly although I never saw
    your original posts. It made me wonder what else I was missing. Now I understand how you're doing it
    I'm still not sure why.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Geraint Jones wrote:

    >>... when I were a lad, and it were all binary trees round 'ere, it used to be Exceedingly Bad Form
    >>to put someone's name on the subject line of a news posting.

    Dave Kahn wrote

    > Really? I thought I knew a little bit about netiquette but I've never come across that one before,
    > and it seems to happen reasonably often in u.r.c without exciting comment.

    Hmm, that's a new on on me too. My name's been in lotsa Subject: headings, never bothered me, even
    when I was called a "party doll" in the heat of the last presidential election campaign here in
    Yankeeland.

    Sheldon "Not Shy" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | For every complex problem, there is a solution | that is simple, neat, and wrong. | --H. L.
    | Mencken |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  10. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Geraint Jones wrote:
    >
    > >>... when I were a lad, and it were all binary trees round 'ere, it used to be Exceedingly Bad
    > >>Form to put someone's name on the subject line of a news posting.
    >
    > Dave Kahn wrote
    >
    > > Really? I thought I knew a little bit about netiquette but I've never come across that one
    > > before, and it seems to happen reasonably often in u.r.c without exciting comment.
    >
    > Hmm, that's a new on on me too. My name's been in lotsa Subject: headings, never bothered me, even
    > when I was called a "party doll" in the heat of the last presidential election campaign here in
    > Yankeeland.

    I've only seen it used in uk.rec.motorcycles where just putting the persons name is used to signify
    that they've died.

    More recently putting someone's name in a subject can screw up Google Groups searching results. If
    you want all posts authored by a person you can end up with the ones with their name in the subject
    rather than written by them.
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 09:07:07 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >More recently putting someone's name in a subject can screw up Google Groups searching results. If
    >you want all posts authored by a person you can end up with the ones with their name in the subject
    >rather than written by them.

    The Google Groups argument wouldn't apply in Geraint's case as he keeps his postings out of their
    archive anyway. Besides it sounds like a bug that ought really to be fixed by Google. Sheldon is
    certainly named in the subject line of many threads. Far from being an insult it's a measure of the
    standing he has within the cycling community.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 29 May 2003 09:07:07 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >More recently putting someone's name in a subject can screw up Google Groups searching results.
    > >If you want all posts authored by a person you can end up with the ones with their name in the
    > >subject rather than written by them.

    Normally this won't happen from just a name in the subject: heading. I am actually replying via
    Google Groups right now, and when I clicked on Dave's name, it placed
    "author:[email protected]" in the search box. Thus, it wouldn't find a match for anything that
    didn't include the full email address.

    > The Google Groups argument wouldn't apply in Geraint's case as he keeps his postings out of their
    > archive anyway. Besides it sounds like a bug that ought really to be fixed by Google. Sheldon is
    > certainly named in the subject line of many threads. Far from being an insult it's a measure of
    > the standing he has within the cycling community.

    Aw, shucks! For my own major use of Google Groups, I do a search by my name, but one that drops out
    messages that come from me. The filtering is based on the phone number included in my .sig. I keep
    readymade links to variations of this search on my Home Base page http://sheldonbrown.com/hb.html so
    I can quickly check on what people are attributing to me.

    | Some are born with a silver spoon, | And some are born without a clue; | Some are born to take
    | the biscuit, | Some are born to just make do. |
    | |
    | When those fatcats drop the big one, | They will turn a penny, too: | They will rent out nuclear
    | shelters, | We'll get one with an outside loo! | --The Oysterband | (The greatest band since the
    | Beatles) |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest