German Bicycles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Jorgenson, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    Giant is from Germany?

    Thanks, Brian

    bjorgenson at charter dot net

    Tags:

  2. I'm not sure of any major bike companies from Germany, but I know Giant isn't. "Brian Jorgenson"
    > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    > Giant is from Germany?
    >
    > Thanks, Brian
    >
    > bjorgenson at charter dot net

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    > Giant is from Germany?
    >
    > Thanks, Brian
    >
    > bjorgenson at charter dot net

    Giant is Taiwanese. I cant think of any major German manufacturers.

    Stan Cox

  4. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    > Giant is from Germany?
    >
    > Thanks, Brian
    >
    > bjorgenson at charter dot net

    Storck, Stevens, Cube, Musing, Poison. Giant is not German made.

    Lou

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Brian Jorgenson
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    >Giant is from Germany?

    Giant is from Taiwan.

    You might want to ask on de.rec.fahrrad, I can't think of any major producers in Germany.

  6. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Whatever happened to Puch?

  7. "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    > > Giant is from Germany?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Brian
    > >
    > > bjorgenson at charter dot net
    >
    > Storck, Stevens, Cube, Musing, Poison. Giant is not German made.

    vsf Fahrrad Manufaktur, Focus, Schauff, Riese & Müller, Radon, Villiger, Wanderer, Hardo Wagner,
    Puch (Austria?)

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard
    > > > that Giant is from Germany?

    > "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Storck, Stevens, Cube, Musing, Poison. Giant is not German made.

    "Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:su%[email protected]...
    > Whatever happened to Puch?

    That Austrian company, formerly Steyr-Daimler-Puch, was acquired by Bianchi which is itself part of
    CycleEurope.

  9. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    Variatio delectat - (Cicero) On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:36:12 +0200, "Robert Strickland"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers?

    >> Storck, Stevens, Cube, Musing, Poison.
    >>

    >vsf Fahrrad Manufaktur, Focus, Schauff, Riese & Müller, Radon, Villiger, Wanderer, Hardo Wagner,
    >Puch (Austria?)

    Don't forget Checker Pig! http://www.checker-pig.com

    -------------------------------
    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
    -------------------------------

  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in news:zt%Pa.36730
    $A%[email protected]:
    > You might want to ask on de.rec.fahrrad, I can't think of any major producers in Germany.

    There are several high volume producers in Germany, but none are imported into the USA. For that
    matter, I can't think of any mid-range French or British bikes imported into the USA. 30 years ago,
    most mid and high end bikes sold in the USA came from these countries (plus Italy).

  11. > That Austrian company, formerly Steyr-Daimler-Puch

    Like the Steyr Aug automatic rifle?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >vsf Fahrrad Manufaktur, Focus, Schauff, Riese & Müller, Radon, Villiger, Wanderer, Hardo Wagner,
    > >Puch (Austria?)

    > Don't forget Checker Pig! http://www.checker-pig.com

    I certainly won't now!

    Several years ago, I had a old Kalkhoff bicycle, which was a typical bike-boom ten speed. They still
    exist, www.kalkhoff.de. Over time I have seen a lot of Japanese, French, and British bikes from the
    1970s but hardly any German ones (in the US that is).

  13. I've been cycling in Germany a few times. As a leisure activity cycling is HUGE in Germany. There
    must be 5 or 10 times as many bikes as in the USA.

  14. The only German bike company I can think of is Wheeler. Do you get those in the US? I believe the
    less expensive ones areTaiwanese made anyway.

    I am pretty sure that Giant is a Taiwanese company. Is Giant the largest bike company in the
    world? A high percentage of bikes sold here in Australia seem to be Giant's. I hope someone can
    answer this.

    Regards, ' Sasha

    On 12 Jul 2003 07:55:29 -0700, [email protected] (Brian Jorgenson) wrote:

    >Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    >Giant is from Germany?
    >
    >Thanks, Brian
    >
    >bjorgenson at charter dot net

  15. Used to build the odd Hercules bike (made in Germany, utility-style bikes) back in my wrenchin' days
    at a LBS ten years back

  16. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    > Used to build the odd Hercules bike (made in Germany, utility-style bikes) back in my wrenchin'
    > days at a LBS ten years back

    Villiger? Arrow? Diamant?

  17. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:34:45 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >"Brian Jorgenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    >> Giant is from Germany?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Brian
    >>
    >> bjorgenson at charter dot net
    >
    >Giant is Taiwanese. I cant think of any major German manufacturers.

    Steyr-Daimler-Puch made some in the mid-70s, but they're not in that market anymore as far as
    I can tell.

    ---

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  18. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:14:55 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >I've been cycling in Germany a few times. As a leisure activity cycling is HUGE in Germany. There
    >must be 5 or 10 times as many bikes as in the USA.

    My impression is that this is the case in most of Europe. Certainly the Netherlands has more bikes
    than anywhere of my experience in North America. (Do they still say that the canals in Amsterdam are
    six feet deep, three feet of water and three feet of bicycles?)

    ---

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  19. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Brian Jorgenson wrote:

    > Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
    > Giant is from Germany?

    Univega spring to mind as being German, but they got absorbed in the Raleigh/Derby thing a few years
    ago. Their web site still has lots of German on it, though.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  20. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I certainly won't now! Several years ago, I had a old Kalkhoff bicycle, which was a typical
    > bike-boom ten speed. They still exist, www.kalkhoff.de. Over time I have seen a lot of Japanese,
    > French, and British bikes from the 1970s but hardly any German ones (in the US that is).

    We sell Kettlers but those are luxury urban bikes, not sport ("road") bikes.
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/kett3.html