German Bicycles

There is Utopia, which is more or less the Mercedes of bicycles. Another make is Kettler, which is
what I have.

Paul

[email protected] (Brian Jorgenson) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> Can anybody provide me with information on any top German bicycle manufacturers? I've heard that
> Giant is from Germany?
>
> Thanks, Brian
>
> bjorgenson at charter dot net

Check out http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0303 This Hardo Wagner character makes
some nice bikes.

Also, you could try and contact the folks at http://www.tnc-hamburg.de, their website is devoted to
spare parts but the shop has a great reputation for knowing their stuff.

--
Walter Mitty.

Paul Hamilton wrote:
> There is Utopia, which is more or less the Mercedes of bicycles. Another make is Kettler, which is
> what I have.
>
> Paul

Just to continue a little with name dropping: Steppenwolf are German MTB's in the strict sense that
a least for their top line products the frames are welded in Germany. As far as I know Utopia frames
come from the Netherlands, those of many other brands from far east or eastern Europe. Doesn't seem
to make much of a difference anyway. Or is there something like a typical German bike? MTB's and
racing bikes look more or less the same no matter where they come from.

Don't forget the German recumbent brands like Zox or HP Velotechnik.

Guenther

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:30:53 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

>My impression is that this is the case in most of Europe. Certainly the Netherlands has more bikes
>than anywhere of my experience in North America. (Do they still say that the canals in Amsterdam
>are six feet deep, three feet of water and three feet of bicycles?)

5 years ago in Delft, I was being entertained by a fraternity, with one of the activities being
"fishing for bikes". So, no ****, there I was, rope with a big metal hook on the end on my hand..
and I grabbed about 5 bikes in as many minutes. One of them was a rental from the train station a
few blocks down that surely hadn't been in there for more than a couple of days, week at most.

I've always thought that the cheap way of getting spare parts here in Utrecht would involve the
same long rope with a big metal hook.. Hell, a couple times a year the dredgers come through the
canals, and their boat is always 95% bikes with a smattering of shopping trolleys and a little bit
of other ****.

(All three cities mentioned have fairly extensive canal systems, though Amsterdam does
have the most)

Jasper