German camp sites - coffee?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:05:49 +0000, BrianW wrote:

> German beers used to have to be brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot -
> although I think this was replaced so that they could produce "beer" made
> with rice and other unmentionables. Bud I can't think of any beer made
> from rice, can you...

I have had some good rice beer in Japan -- at Tokyo airport even,
airport bars normally being places to avoid.

Mike

"BrianW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I was there you got cases of returnable bottles from their versions
> of off licences - and got a refund on the empties when you returned them.
> Not sure how you could lug one of those around on a bike though, unless
> you invest in a trailer!

Put the bottles loose in a rucksack, tie the crate to the back. I've done
this :)

(nowadays I'd do similar - bottles in pannier, crate tied to back rack).

cheers,
clive

Pyromancer wrote:

> How about a can of coke instead? ISTR Coke has more caffeine than
> Pepsi, but TBH I've never 'got' the caffeine thing, and I don't do hot
> drinks at all, so I'm probably not the best to offer advice.

Coffee isn't so much about caffeine, as the pure taste of coffee.
Cola, OTOH, taste something like malted battery acid might. There
is thus a clear conflict there...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Clive George wrote:
> "BrianW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> When I was there you got cases of returnable bottles from their
>> versions of off licences - and got a refund on the empties when you
>> returned them. Not sure how you could lug one of those around on a
>> bike though, unless you invest in a trailer!

> Put the bottles loose in a rucksack, tie the crate to the back. I've
> done this :)
>
> (nowadays I'd do similar - bottles in pannier, crate tied to back rack).

There speaks an expert. :) I've put a 4-pint carrykeg in a pannier
before now, but it does overbalance the bike a bit! 6 bottles in each
side though - no problem!

--
Brian

BrianW wrote:

> There speaks an expert. :) I've put a 4-pint carrykeg in a pannier
> before now, but it does overbalance the bike a bit! 6 bottles in each
> side though - no problem!

A couple of times a year my trailer is used to carry a firkin ;-)

John B

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:45:30 +0100, elyob wrote:
>
>> A cold tinny was the thing I missed most,

> You go to Germany and want to drink beer from cans!?!?
>
> Where's my English/German phrase-book? Let's see: uncivilised, uncouth,
> fails to appreciate the local produce? Nope. Hmm, I need a more
> up-to-date phrase-book than my grandmother's 1902 edition.....

Nah, sorry, I was in France. However I spent an amount of time quaffing in
bars, but it was too expensive all the time.

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Danny
> Colyer <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>>elyob wrote:
>>> Camping, the biggest problem is warm beer...

>>I like to wrap a bottle of beer in a thin cloth (actually, I usually
>>use kitchen roll), soak it in water, then leave it out for an hour or
>>so before I open it. It might need resoaking a couple of times. If
>>there's a breeze then this usually gets the beer down to a pleasant
>>drinking temperature.

> If you stand the bottle in a shallow bowl of water, capillary action
> will keep the cloth wet. The cooling effect is caused by the
> evaporation of the water (same way sweating works) and is how people
> kept their milk cold in the days before fridges.

Decent tip, will remember that. Will remember to also keep out of the tent
and out of sunlight. But will also ask fellow campers if I can put my beer
in their fridge at the earliest oppurtunity!

"Pyromancer" wrote:
>>If you stand the bottle in a shallow bowl of water, capillary action
>>will keep the cloth wet.

and elyob responded:
> Decent tip, will remember that.

Yeah, it's obvious once it's been pointed out, but I'd never thought of
it before! I'll remember it when I'm camping in a couple of weeks.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Peter
Clinch <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>Pyromancer wrote:

>> How about a can of coke instead? ISTR Coke has more caffeine than
>> Pepsi, but TBH I've never 'got' the caffeine thing, and I don't do hot
>> drinks at all, so I'm probably not the best to offer advice.

>Coffee isn't so much about caffeine, as the pure taste of coffee.

Aha. Various people have attempted to persuade me of the merits of
coffee, and even "real" coffee, over the years. I've tried it, and with
enough sugar in (about 7 spoonfuls usually does the trick) found it not
unpleasant - but I just don't "get" it. Seemingly I'm something of an
anomaly in the ISP industry in being a techie who has no interest in
coffee.

Then again, I far prefer Cadburys to that horrid high-coca so-called
chocolate that people like to be snobbish over. :)

>Cola, OTOH, taste something like malted battery acid might. There is
>thus a clear conflict there...

LOL! Having seen what it can do to old coins, I can guess where that
concept comes from. But I still like cola, as long as it's kept down to
sensible quantities.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

On Mon, 31 Jul, Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Peter
> Clinch <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>
> >Coffee isn't so much about caffeine, as the pure taste of coffee.

> Aha. Various people have attempted to persuade me of the merits of
> coffee, and even "real" coffee, over the years. I've tried it,

How 'real'?

What you really want is beans roasted something between 24 and 48
hours previously (though some varieties are better up to 72 hours),
ground seconds previously and turned into an espresso shot. If you
want to avoid even more caffeine you could go for ristretto.

From that as a base, I prefer to put in varying amounts of water to
get something between espresso and americano. This actually gives you
good coffee taste, with relatively little caffeine. It's relatively
difficult to get good coffee taste in any other machine. A Glass
vacuum pot beats a pump or lever espresso machine, but most other
techniques are less good.

One thing to bear in mind is that most coffee chains don't make
particularly good coffee. They are the MacDonalds of coffee. No-one
goes to MacDonalds for fine food - they go for food without surprises.
In the same way, the coffee chains want nation-wide or world-wide
repeatability. Bad but always bad sells better than good but
different every time. With a world-wide chain you can only do that by
using a process that gives you the flavour of the roast rather than
the bean - and that means a very dark roast. If you dark roast, all
tolerable beans taste the same, so the big chains always dark roast,
and that kills a lot of the flavours you might actually enjoy.
Consequently the coffee only really becomes drinkable if you dose it
with cream and sugar and froth and syrup and flavouring and thickener
and who-knows-what. Uurgh.

> enough sugar in (about 7 spoonfuls usually does the trick) found it not
> unpleasant - but I just don't "get" it.

Most people don't "get" wine the first few times. Some people
(including me, as it happens) have never got wine. I can drink it,
and I guess 7 spoonfulls of sugar would help it down, but I don't get
it. It's just a case of what your pallette has become familiar with.

I also find I can't drink cola, unless it's icy icy cold. Otherwise,
it's too much like glugging golden syrup.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote on 31/07/2006 21:15 +0100:

> From that as a base, I prefer to put in varying amounts of water to
> get something between espresso and americano. This actually gives you
> good coffee taste, with relatively little caffeine. It's relatively
> difficult to get good coffee taste in any other machine. A Glass
> vacuum pot beats a pump or lever espresso machine, but most other
> techniques are less good.

You need a proper Italian coffee bar Gaggia to make proper coffee (and
not one of the poxy domestic versions neither)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:50:27 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote on 31/07/2006 21:15 +0100:
> >
> > From that as a base, I prefer to put in varying amounts of water to
> > get something between espresso and americano. This actually gives you
> > good coffee taste, with relatively little caffeine. It's relatively
> > difficult to get good coffee taste in any other machine. A Glass
> > vacuum pot beats a pump or lever espresso machine, but most other
> > techniques are less good.

> You need a proper Italian coffee bar Gaggia to make proper coffee (and
> not one of the poxy domestic versions neither)

Actually, I prefer a Rancilio. They only make one domestic-sized
machine (Miss Silvia), and it's only available from one UK importer
who don't bother to advertise the fact, but it's a better machine than
most (arguably all) the single-head Gaggias. In particular, it's
built like a tank and uses a socking great brass boiler and brewhead -
giving good thermal stability. It can take a commercial portafilter,
and I use a commercial one in mine. The other bonus is that it's
trivially easy to dismantle, and you can therfore easily add a PID
controller for boiler temperature.

A properly commercial coffee-bar machine will be a HX, not a boiler,
and is not suited to domestic use - I only make four or so shots per
day (a few more at the weekend) and plumbing in a machine and keeping
it switched on 24/7 (as needed for a commercial HX based machine) is
wasteful. In the domestic situation, the only thing you lose in using
a single boiler machine is the ability to steam then brew in rapid
succession without needing to let a boiler cool. I never brew after
steaming - I steam about twice a week, and always last thing at night
(a frothy chocolate is sometimes pleasant of an evening).

The other key benefit of a boiler in the domestic situation is that
with PID control it will sit on standby indefinitely, no need for
flushing to get the temperatures right.

A PID Silvia will at least match the performance of any commercial
machine if you're making one (single or double) shot. The things it
won't do is make another one 35 seconds later, and another 35 seconds
after that and so on, nor will it interleave brew and steam on a
useful timescale.

My PID Silvia, with my daily beans roast, and grinding immediately
before brewing beats the coffee I've had anywhere any time in the
last three years. I've more-or-less given up drinking coffee out - it
always disappoints.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

wrote:

>You need a proper Italian coffee bar Gaggia to make proper coffee

Correct.

>(and
>not one of the poxy domestic versions neither)

Also correct. My (Italian) mother-in-law had one, and it was very
troublesome. In the end, it was replaced with a Faema.

Pyromancer <[email protected]> writes:

> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Peter
> Clinch <[email protected]> gently breathed:
> >Cola, OTOH, taste something like malted battery acid might. There is
> >thus a clear conflict there...

> LOL! Having seen what it can do to old coins, I can guess where that
> concept comes from. But I still like cola, as long as it's kept down to
> sensible quantities.

You might want to see http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

-dan

--