German Team Jerseys

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I have an old Bridgeport mill, but I have no idea WTF Prussian Blue is.
>>
>> (obviously I'm not steeped in machinist lore)
>
> It's also known as "Dykem": layout fluid. Easiest way to describe it is very thin, blue (or
> sometimes red) paint. Apply it and let it dry, then scribe layout lines, etc. The lines will be
> easier to see than they would be on raw metal. As was described, it doesn't get a lot of use
> anymore. It is moving into the "lore" category of machining.

Also, first of the artificial pigments. Still used in artwork.

In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Howard Kveck wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >> I have an old Bridgeport mill, but I have no idea WTF Prussian Blue is.
> >>
> >> (obviously I'm not steeped in machinist lore)
> >
> > It's also known as "Dykem": layout fluid. Easiest way to describe it is very thin, blue (or
> > sometimes red) paint. Apply it and let it dry, then scribe layout lines, etc. The lines will
> > be easier to see than they would be on raw metal. As was described, it doesn't get a lot of
> > use anymore. It is moving into the "lore" category of machining.
>
> Also, first of the artificial pigments. Still used in artwork.

Interesting, I didn't know that. As packaged for use on metal, it does behave rather differently
than paint. When you brush it on, the liquid "carrier" (for lack of a better word right now)
rapidly evaporates, leaving just the pigment adhered firmly to the metal. If you do it right,
it's a very thin layer that doesn't flake when you scribe in it.

--
tanx, Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:15:29 +0100, Steve McGinty <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 11 Oct 2003 04:07:08 -0700, [email protected] (Aruno) wrote:
>
>>Steve McGinty <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Why are they predominantly blue?
>>>
>>> Regards! Stephen
>>
>>Because the sponsor HEW ( Hamburg Electricty Werke ) has blue as its color.
>
>Thanks for that.
>
>Regards! Stephen
Why the paucity of sponsors on US national teams jerseys as opposed to the billboards we see on the
Spanish/Dutch/German/French teams (off the top of my head)? I know there's a conflict between
national team sponsor and rider team sponsors but at least they could fund the riders expenses for
the worlds.

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I have an old Bridgeport mill, but I have no idea WTF Prussian Blue is.
>>
>>(obviously I'm not steeped in machinist lore)
>

> It's also known as "Dykem": layout fluid. Easiest way to describe it is very thin, blue (or
> sometimes red) paint. Apply it and let it dry, then scribe layout lines, etc. The lines will be
> easier to see than they would be on raw metal. As was described, it doesn't get a lot of use
> anymore. It is moving into the "lore" category of machining.

Ah, yeah. This brings back memories of Metal Shop in Jr. HS. We applied the stuff (actually I
think we had it in spray cans) and scribed our projects before cutting and bending, etc. There was
something we could clean it off with later, which probably has since been linked to cancer or
other malady.