German Team Jerseys

Steve McGinty

Guest
Why are they predominantly blue?

Regards! Stephen

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:17:13 +0100, Steve McGinty wrote:
> Why are they predominantly blue?

Dunno, but it's the same with the Belgian jerseys. Maybe the black, yellow, red combination is
universally regarded as ugly. It is by me.

Steve McGinty wrote:
> Why are they predominantly blue?
>
> Regards! Stephen

Prussian Blue?

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:17:13 +0100, Steve McGinty wrote:
>
> > Why are they predominantly blue?
> Dunno, but it's the same with the Belgian jerseys. Maybe the black, yellow, red combination is
> universally regarded as ugly. It is by me.

Or maybe it's because the German TEAM JERSEY is not the same thing as the German NATIONAL CHAMPION
JERSEY, which manages to make Zabel look quite dashing by the way.

-Sonarrat.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:20:47 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:17:13 +0100, Steve McGinty wrote:
>> Why are they predominantly blue?
>
>Dunno, but it's the same with the Belgian jerseys. Maybe the black, yellow, red combination is
>universally regarded as ugly. It is by me.

True, but the Belgian jersey was always blue - Germans changed a few years ago. Now that I think
about it wasn't the old East German jersey (before the grey skinsuits) blue?

Regards! Stephen

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:09:55 -0700, Sonarrat wrote:
> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:17:13 +0100, Steve McGinty wrote:
>>> Why are they predominantly blue?
>>
>> Maybe the black, yellow, red combination is universally regarded as ugly.
>
> Or maybe it's because the German TEAM JERSEY is not the same thing as the German NATIONAL
> CHAMPION JERSEY

I had that figured out, thanks. And I didn't really think "ugly flag" was a valid reason. Still, the
national team jerseys all(?) have some design related to the nation, most often inspired by the
national flag and its colours. One exception is Holland with predominantly orange outfits (after our
royal House of Orange, and, conveniently, sponsor Rabobank). So what significance does the blue have
for Belgium and Germany?

Steve McGinty wrote:
> Why are they predominantly blue?

Because last year it was the italians turn to wear blue.

TritonRider wrote:
>>From: Stewart Fleming [email protected]
>

>>Prussian Blue?
>>

> Now let's see how many machinists we have here?

There's that world champion overend hammer lifter isn't there?

TritonRider wrote:

>>From: Stewart Fleming [email protected]
>

>>Prussian Blue?
>>

> Now let's see how many machinists we have here? Bill C
not something one hears about often in the CNC age I'd bet...

On 10/08/2003 04:04 PM, in article [email protected], "Ewoud
Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:09:55 -0700, Sonarrat wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe the black, yellow, red combination is universally regarded as ugly.
>>
>> Or maybe it's because the German TEAM JERSEY is not the same thing as the German NATIONAL
>> CHAMPION JERSEY
>
> I had that figured out, thanks. And I didn't really think "ugly flag" was a valid reason. Still,
> the national team jerseys all(?) have some design related to the nation, most often inspired by
> the national flag and its colours. One exception is Holland with predominantly orange outfits
> (after our royal House of Orange, and, conveniently, sponsor Rabobank). So what significance does
> the blue have for Belgium and Germany?

Australia's national flag is red, white and blue ... So why are their national champion and national
team jerseys green and gold????

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

There are only just so many combinations of red white and blue before designers run out of ides. Some years ago Aussies started questioning our close historic and cultural links to Brittain. Changing the flag was just too contentious so it remains RW&B (for the moment). Instead, we introduced national colours for our sporting teams - Green and Gold. They represent the colour of the wattle tree - a very common tree (Acacia species) across Aus. A slightly grey green foliage with an abundance of yellow flowers in S.Hemisphere Spring.

Originally posted by Steven L. Sheff

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:13:13 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> Australia's national flag is red, white and blue ... So why are their national champion and
> national team jerseys green and gold????

I don't know, but those are well-known national colours, like the orange for Holland. I'm sure there
is an explanation. I never heard of blue having some sort of meaning for Belgium or Germany. For
example, the Belgian football team plays in red ("Red Devils").

The blue must be an arbitrary colour, picked to make an original design for standing out
in the pack.

"Tezza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Steven L. Sheff wrote:

> > Australia's national flag is red, white and blue ... So why are their national champion and
> > national team jerseys green and gold????
> > --
>
> There are only just so many combinations of red white and blue before designers run out of ides.
> Some years ago Aussies started questioning our close historic and cultural links to Brittain.
> Changing the flag was just too contentious so it remains RW&B (for the moment). Instead, we
> introduced national colours for our sporting teams - Green and Gold. They represent the colour of
> the wattle tree - a very common tree (Acacia species) across Aus. A slightly grey green foliage
> with an abundance of yellow flowers in S.Hemisphere Spring.

Ah, the great flag debate :)

The only thing that annoys me about the Australian national team jersey is that it looks very
similar to the Australian champion's jersey. I think this year they introduced yellow sleeves for
the Aussie champion, but that's about the only difference I can pick up. Maybe there are others.
It's certainly possible to keep the green & gold colours for both the champion's and the national
team jerseys without making them too similar.

Jeff

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ah, the great flag debate :)
>
> The only thing that annoys me about the Australian national team jersey is that it looks very
> similar to the Australian champion's jersey. I think
this
> year they introduced yellow sleeves for the Aussie champion, but that's about the only difference
> I can pick up. Maybe there are others. It's certainly possible to keep the green & gold colours
> for both the champion's and the national team jerseys without making them too similar.

Dumbass -

Look on the bright side. At least your country doesn't give out 500 Masters Fatties jerseys/year
that look just like the real thing.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Dumbass -
>

> Look on the bright side. At least your country doesn't give out 500 Masters Fatties jerseys/year
> that look just like the real thing.

Dumbass,

What do you mean by 'look like the real thing'; they are the real thing, or even better than the
real thing.

Donald 'Living the Dream' Munro

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:13:13 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> > Australia's national flag is red, white and blue ... So why are their national champion and
> > national team jerseys green and gold????
>
> I don't know, but those are well-known national colours, like the orange for Holland. I'm sure
> there is an explanation. I never heard of blue having some sort of meaning for Belgium or Germany.
> For example, the Belgian football team plays in red ("Red Devils").
>
> The blue must be an arbitrary colour, picked to make an original design for standing out in
> the pack.

Are New Zealand's ALL BLACK?

That would be cool.

-Ken

K. J. Papai wrote:

> Are New Zealand's ALL BLACK?

New Zealand flag is similar in colour and composition to Australia. Our sporting teams wear largely
black and/or silver, often with the Silver Fern emblem (native plant).

I think the national jersey is predominately black with large silver fern this year and the national
champions jersey (as you may have seen worn by Gordy McCauley on Schroeder Iron) is white with two
horizontal black stripes.

The national triathlon/duathlon uniform is mostly black with silver stripes down the sides. It used
to be silver-grey but that was found to be a little too revealing in places...

In article <[email protected]>,
Fred Marx <[email protected]> wrote:

> TritonRider wrote:
>
> >>From: Stewart Fleming [email protected]
> >

> >>Prussian Blue?
> >>

> > Now let's see how many machinists we have here? Bill C
> not something one hears about often in the CNC age I'd bet...

For the most part, you're right. A small bottle of it will last us about ten years, if it doesn't
dry out first. It does come in handy when working on odd shaped castings, but mostly we use it
when we reinstall a set of vise or lathe jaws and need to recut them a few thousandths. But a
Marks-alot felt pen works just as well, really, and is neater and dries faster. A few years ago,
I worked at a shop where one guy showed up seriously hung over every day. One morning he was
using the blue to mark some parts and had the cap off. He was asked what time it was and, of
course, rolled his arm over to look at his watch. He poured most of the bottle of blue onto his
shirt, pants and tool box. Machine shop comedy at its best...

--
tanx, Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I have an old Bridgeport mill, but I have no idea WTF Prussian Blue is.
>
> (obviously I'm not steeped in machinist lore)

It's also known as "Dykem": layout fluid. Easiest way to describe it is very thin, blue (or
sometimes red) paint. Apply it and let it dry, then scribe layout lines, etc. The lines will be
easier to see than they would be on raw metal. As was described, it doesn't get a lot of use
anymore. It is moving into the "lore" category of machining.