Gerolsteiner gruppo?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Qui si parla Campagnolo, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is DA
    electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)

    Ho boy!!

    Tags:

  2. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is DA
    > electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)
    >
    > Ho boy!!

    For years now, I've been thinking "boy this shifter would work better
    if it were electronic!" I'm going to hold out for the Apple iHub,
    though.

    Chalo

  3. On 14 Feb 2007 16:08:33 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >>
    >> Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is DA
    >> electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)
    >>
    >> Ho boy!!

    >For years now, I've been thinking "boy this shifter would work better
    >if it were electronic!" I'm going to hold out for the Apple iHub,
    >though.
    >
    >Chalo

    Dear Chalo,

    You have been seduced by technology--electronics are far too buggy!

    A smooth hydraulic system, properly bled, would be a far superior
    method of dragging a rusty chain from one worn gear tooth to the next.

    :)

    As an aside, most modern trials motorcycles use a hydraulic line for
    smoother clutch work instead of a wire cable. The improvement is so
    marked (for riders who use the clutch) that older wire machines can be
    retro-fitted with hydraulic clutch levers. Page down two or three
    times here to see a kit:

    http://www.trialspartsusa.com/for-the-bike.html

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  4. [email protected] hatte geschrieben:

    > On 14 Feb 2007 16:08:33 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is
    >>> DA electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)

    >>For years now, I've been thinking "boy this shifter would work better
    >>if it were electronic!" I'm going to hold out for the Apple iHub,
    >>though.

    > You have been seduced by technology--electronics are far too buggy!
    >
    > A smooth hydraulic system, properly bled, would be a far superior
    > method of dragging a rusty chain from one worn gear tooth to the next.

    Christoph Muthers seems to take orders now:
    <http://5rot.com> (German only)
    <http://5rot.com/pix/schaltwerk_gross.jpg>
    <http://5rot.com/pix/schalthebel_gross.jpg>
    <http://5rot.com/pix/umwerfer_gross.jpg>
    The production started already:
    <http://5rot.com/pix/produktion.jpg>
    If you can afford this system you will be able to purchase a new chain
    and cassette too ;-)

    Günther

  5. Some months ago I saw it on Chechu Rubiera's training bicycle when I
    went to my LBS. Front derailler was ugly, but it was only a prototype,
    so I suppose they will improve looks a lot.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    --
    Regards,
    Francisco Sanchez

  6. Skippy

    Skippy Guest

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >>
    >> Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is DA
    >> electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)
    >>
    >> Ho boy!!

    > For years now, I've been thinking "boy this shifter would work better
    > if it were electronic!" I'm going to hold out for the Apple iHub,
    > though.
    >
    > Chalo

    Looks great but only works with rims fitted with FireTyres ;-)

    See them parked outside a Starbucks near you soon

    Skippy
    E&OE

  7. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    On Feb 15, 1:16 am, Günther Schwarz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Christoph Muthers seems to take orders now:
    > <http://5rot.com> (German only)

    > If you can afford this system you will be able to purchase a new chain
    > and cassette too ;-)

    Yikes, 1500 Euros for two derailleurs and two shifters! That's what,
    like a quarter million US dollars?

    Chalo

  8. On Feb 15, 4:53 pm, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 1:16 am, Günther Schwarz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Christoph Muthers seems to take orders now:
    > > <http://5rot.com> (German only)

    > > If you can afford this system you will be able to purchase a new chain
    > > and cassette too ;-)

    > Yikes, 1500 Euros for two derailleurs and two shifters! That's what,
    > like a quarter million US dollars?

    Wait till you see Steve Jobs's iShift. It will
    be white, and sleek, and have rounded corners instead
    of looking like an anodized Erector set. You'll be
    able to shift just by waving a finger in the air.
    It will cost US$3000, but people will line up around
    the block to buy it, even though it will only shift
    when in range of a Cingular wireless tower.

    Ben
    actually likes Apple

  9. > Wait till you see Steve Jobs's iShift. It will
    > be white, and sleek, and have rounded corners instead
    > of looking like an anodized Erector set.

    The son of Shimano Sante !!!

  10. Skippy

    Skippy Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Wait till you see Steve Jobs's iShift. It will
    >> be white, and sleek, and have rounded corners instead
    >> of looking like an anodized Erector set.

    > The son of Shimano Sante !!!

    So it'll be retro-cool too! It's not like Apple to borrow someone else's
    idea of course...

    And when it goes wrong, you buy a new bike. That one will be black though.

  11. On Feb 16, 4:27 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Wait till you see Steve Jobs's iShift. It will
    > > be white, and sleek, and have rounded corners instead
    > > of looking like an anodized Erector set.

    > The son of Shimano Sante !!!

    Poor, ill-timed Sante: put on the market ~15 years before the Latte
    Set took up cycling. It woulda looking great sitting in front of the
    local Starbuck$. ;-)

  12. jmoryl

    jmoryl New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2004
    The best thing about it, at least from a business perspective, is that they have figured out how to charge you $0.05 per shift. Intellectual property, you know!

  13. Chalo wrote:

    > On Feb 15, 1:16 am, Günther Schwarz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Christoph Muthers seems to take orders now:
    >> <http://5rot.com> (German only)

    >> If you can afford this system you will be able to purchase a new
    >> chain and cassette too ;-)

    > Yikes, 1500 Euros for two derailleurs and two shifters! That's what,
    > like a quarter million US dollars?

    Not quite that much. Given that basically everything is handcrafted the
    price seems reasonable to me. How much does an hour in your workshop
    cost?

    Günther

  14. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

  15. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    On Feb 18, 11:50 am, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 10:16 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Pix on Velonews.com show some Gerolsteiner guy with what I think is DA
    > > electronic shifters, in Mallorca, whatdayathink?(??)

    > > Ho boy!!

    > Here's some linkage:http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9591.0.html

    Wait, that's from last year..I think this is what Peter was talking
    about:
    http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/11644.0.html

    You can see that the Gerolsteiner rider's STIs have no shift cables
    leaving them, and the chunk off the back of the rear derailleur that
    houses the servo.