Gerolsteiner TT bars

AndROOb

Nov 20, 2004
http://player.narrowstep.tv/(swvakn554q11tsbgnfifym55)/Default.aspx?player=cycling

Above is a link to cycling.tv where in the highlights section, there is a 6 man pro team time-trial event (UCI I think). Third team off is the Gerolsteiner guys, who are riding Spesh transition frames, but they are using an interesting handlebar set-up. It looks like shimano STI units on tri-bar extensions, that are mounted at the end of straight bars. Anyone else seen these or know anymore about them?

Gerolsteiner had some new bars for the Pro Tour TTT and Tour de France this year. The reasoning behind them was having the bars wider than traditional allowed them to stay in an aero tuck longer and get better manuverability than traditional bars. By being in that position longer they put their STI's on the end so they could control everything from there. I believe the bars were developed especially for the TTT and tested in a wind tunnel. A few of the Gerolsteiner guys even used the setup in the Individual TT's at the tour because they liked the setup more.

gregkeller said:
Gerolsteiner had some new bars for the Pro Tour TTT and Tour de France this year. The reasoning behind them was having the bars wider than traditional allowed them to stay in an aero tuck longer and get better manuverability than traditional bars. By being in that position longer they put their STI's on the end so they could control everything from there. I believe the bars were developed especially for the TTT and tested in a wind tunnel. A few of the Gerolsteiner guys even used the setup in the Individual TT's at the tour because they liked the setup more.
Thanks for that Greg, do you know who developed the baes?
I was really inspired by the idea, and might try and create a similar set-up on my TT bike this season coming.

gregkeller said:
Thanks for that Greg, do you know who developed the bars?
I was really inspired by the idea, and might try and create a similar set-up on my TT bike this season coming.

the bars were developed by Walser (i think it's a small german firm) that has made some very quick TT bikes, Jan Ullrich rode one in 2003 and part of '04. All the Gerolsteiner guys were on them in the tour and Eindhoven TTT except for Levi. There is a good pic of them at: http://www.velonews.com/tour2005/tech/articles/8434.0.html . Pretty cool looking just scroll down a little and there is also a good description of them.

As it says in the above link the are similar to an old 3TTT design from the early 90s. The only problem I can see with them is where you hold the bars for starting/cornering. Also not much good if you have to get out of the saddle. They also look pretty ugly!