Gertus Linaman

Special Eyezd

Jul 14, 2007
Did anyone else hear that? I've heard Phil masacre some names before but man, thats funny. I miss the days of Alexander Vinooooookerov....

Special Eyezd said:
Did anyone else hear that? I've heard Phil masacre some names before but man, thats funny. I miss the days of Alexander Vinooooookerov....

He, he yeah I've got to say some of those were funny. Others were annoying such as when they insisted several times on saying the Colombian Barloworld rider Solero who came in 5th today was from Belarus, even when the screen clearly said he wasn't (reality is they didn't know who he was).

Paul needs to grab a Thesaurus and find a few synonyms for the word "nar-stee", I'm getting tired of it and it's only week one.

I thought it was funny when Phil said the motorbikes need to look out because the riders are in "full cry." I guess that means they are suffering big time.

They also don't know how to say Tadej Valjavec. It is usualy something like Tadgee Valg avek... from Slovakia ?? (in reality he is from Slovenia (not on eurosport...))

Special Eyezd said:
that was good...phil had a sweet laugh after he caught himself

I'm starting to lose count of the number of times he's referred to Vino as Valverde. Hmmm... bright teal jersey... black and red jersey. Clearly they're hard to tell apart. Ahh, it's all part of the charm isn't it!

About 5 years ago we tried to play a drinking game while watching the TdF and people would have to drink every time Phil gave incorrect commentary or Paul came up with one of his classic lines like "suitacase of courage."

We had to stop. People were getting far too drunk. And I think Phil is getting worse every year.

To be honest, I will rue the day that Phil and Paul (and even Bob Roll) are gone. Even if it's just comic relief, they each add to the whole experience. :p

Pad

Did you hear Phil & Paul in stage 9?

When the breakaway of Astarloza, Popo, Gusev etc hit the Galibier, one of them said that the riders will be asking themselves what on earth they are doing in that position. That was then quickly corrected with "Except for the two Discovery Channel boys. Brilliant tactics by Johan Bruyneel". How pro-DSC do they have to be???

Also sick of Phil's "Alethandro Valverde" pronunciation.

patch70 said:
Did you hear Phil & Paul in stage 9?

When the breakaway of Astarloza, Popo, Gusev etc hit the Galibier, one of them said that the riders will be asking themselves what on earth they are doing in that position. That was then quickly corrected with "Except for the two Discovery Channel boys. Brilliant tactics by Johan Bruyneel". How pro-DSC do they have to be???

Also sick of Phil's "Alethandro Valverde" pronunciation.

Look I didn't want to say it but since you're on the subject, and what would a TDF be without a good old-fashioned Phil 'n' Paul slam session?

For me this year has been a bit like an "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario, never really noticed until somone pointed it out. Phil, in spite of all his gaffes, I can handle because he just sticks to describing the race, but Pauls bias for Disco is very palpable (he used to be US Postals PR guy). His constantly glowing remarks about any of Discos moves, no matter how dumb or ill-fated, and his obvious dislike for some riders such as Mayo (I've heard him say "he's such an enigmatic rider" at least twice so far) is starting to irritate me. Where does that hang-up come from? Was it Mayo's good run of form a few years ago that threatened LA? Who knows, but he has it in for the guy. Another clear case of his bias was when Voeckler attacked and Paul said it was just for "TV exposure", but when Disco do it it's part of Johans cunning tactics - what bollocks! His mind-numbing repetitions of his favourite anecdotes are driving me nuts, I wish he would stick to just describing what's on the screen, at least I could bear it.

And yes, considering I'm Spanish the AV pronunciation is particularly cringe-worthy for me.

My favourite Phil moments of the last two stages:

Sarlos Castre on Stage 8

And on Stage 9 when Phil referred to Paul as Phil....

Oh yeah...Phil is the worst he's ever been. And Mike Tomalaris (SBS) annoys me 'cause he doesn't know **** about the sport and is just cashing in for a free ride to France every year.

He also says Kashenkin for Kashechkin. I don't know where he sees an "n" in there... Either he's dyslexic or careless?

gunnar_roadie said:
He also says Kashenkin for Kashechkin. I don't know where he sees an "n" in there... Either he's dyslexic or careless?
He's just showing his age. flipping consonants and mixing up words is typical of the fair haired. I'd cut the ol guy some slack. his slip ups can be quite funny, gertus linaman.

love when sherwen says " just that little bit more" and "hes in a spot of bother"and"this man will bury himself", phil seems a bit off his game with the names like "kashsez-keeeen" and "alethandro" .....but all in all the tour wouldnt be the same without them.

the absolutely most annoying mispronunciations come from bobke, and leading the list is "dave zuh-bru-ski."

it's so annoying that he quite transparently intentionally mispronounces everything being he takes some kind of perverse pleasure in pissing off all the viewers.