Gestures to make to speeding motorists?

Dear All,

Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
direction?

I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
straight road with a 30mph limit.

I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
unnoticed by the motorist.

Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
road rage incident?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

On 11 Mar, 10:31, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

I've often felt tempted to fit an camera flash gun on to my handlebars
that will give a double flash when I want. It would make them think
far more than any gesture you might give.

Rob

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

Mount a camera flashgun or two on the bars and flash twice when they pass.
They'll think they've been Gatso'd and slow down.

Or just accept that the 30mph limit on that road is wrong and that 50
is a sensible speed.

--
Eiron.

writtificated

> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

No.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear All,
>
> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

With the loonies about now, it just isn't worth it. You are more likely to
end up with a knife or a bullet between your ribs than a change in driver
behaviour.

Bill

Quoting <[email protected]>:
>I've often felt tempted to fit an camera flash gun on to my handlebars
>that will give a double flash when I want. It would make them think
>far more than any gesture you might give.

I think this is an _excellent_ idea. But surely most photography flashes
do only one at once and then need to recharge?
Today is Saturday, March - a weekend.

David Damerell said the following on 11/03/2008 13:49:

> I think this is an _excellent_ idea. But surely most photography flashes
> do only one at once and then need to recharge?

Two flash guns??? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Mar 11, 1:49 pm, David Damerell <[email protected]>
wrote:

> But surely most photography flashes
> do only one at once and then need to recharge?

I can set mine to anything from 1Hz to 16Hz, and that's on a 16 year
old Canon 430EZ.

Calum

In article <b425fa78-d2fb-4f4e-a777-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Dear All,
>
> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

You could try holding your arm out with the palm of your hand facing
them - they'll either take it as "slow down" or think you're about to
turn across them. Of course how they'll react is altogether unknown
until you try it. I like the double flash idea, and I'm increasingly
tempted to try it. I wonder if aiming the flashes upwards would make
them noticeable without it being too obvious where they came from.

[email protected] wrote:

> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

See this Australian advert for the recommended gesture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nvAFOk7x0

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You could try holding your arm out with the palm of your hand facing
> them - they'll either take it as "slow down" or think you're about to
> turn across them.

It means that the *cyclist* is about to slow down according to the HC.

In article <Rbf*[email protected]>, David Damerell wrote:

>I think this is an _excellent_ idea. But surely most photography flashes
>do only one at once and then need to recharge?

Many can be set to less than full power (for close subjects, or for fill-in
flash for another light source), and if one flash uses less than half the
power in the capacitor they can produce another flash immediately.

(Some can use less power for close subjects but only based on measuring
the reflected light without a manual override. But some of them will have
a mode that automatically produces a smaller flash or series of flashes
first to encourage the irises of subjects' eyes to stop down to reduce
"redeye".)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I take on board what has been said about the dangers of making
gestures!

Perhaps there's a niche in the market for handlebar mounted 'speed
gun' flashers??

Best wishes,

Nick

[email protected] wrote:

> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?

Unclip the radar gun from your handlebars and aim it at his number plate.

;; If any council in the country has anything to say to cyclists
;; about cycle paths, it should be: "We are terribly, terribly sorry."
- Zoe Williams, The Guardian, 13th Sept 2006

Craig Wallace wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
>> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>>
>> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
>> unnoticed by the motorist.
>>
>> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
>> road rage incident?

> See this Australian advert for the recommended gesture:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nvAFOk7x0

Nice. Maybe we should persuade HMG to buy that one for use over here.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> > road rage incident?

> With the loonies about now, it just isn't worth it. You are more likely to
> end up with a knife or a bullet between your ribs than a change in driver
> behaviour.

I don't believe you have any evidence to back up that statement.
Certainly, if this was the case then I ought to be dead by now.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On 11 Mar, 10:31, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> direction?
>
> I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> straight road with a 30mph limit.
>
> I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> unnoticed by the motorist.
>
> Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> road rage incident?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Nick

I read recently that one recumbent rider on a back-back tandem had
equipped his wife with a hairdryer speedgun look-a-like. LOL!

I like the flashgun idea. All I've done on a very few occasions is to
make the standard slowing down/stopping sign as in the highway code.
I'm not sure many drivers even know what it means, to be honest.

On 11 Mar, 19:41, LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 10:31, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Dear All,

> > Is there a particular gesture to make to speeding motorists indicating
> > for them to slow down either overtaking or coming in the other
> > direction?

> > I am often overtaken by people doing in excess of 50mph on a long
> > straight road with a 30mph limit.

> > I generally shake my head in disapproval. This is however probably
> > unnoticed by the motorist.

> > Are there any more obvious gestures to make that won't result in a
> > road rage incident?

> > Thanks for your help,

> > Nick

> I read recently that one recumbent rider on a back-back tandem had
> equipped his wife with a hairdryer speedgun look-a-like.  LOL!
>
> I like the flashgun idea.  All I've done on a very few occasions is to
> make the standard slowing down/stopping sign as in the highway code.
> I'm not sure many drivers even know what it means, to be honest.- Hide quoted text -

I'd give a V sign back in reply

In article <Rbf*[email protected]>, David Damerell
[email protected] says...
> Quoting <[email protected]>:
> >I've often felt tempted to fit an camera flash gun on to my handlebars
> >that will give a double flash when I want. It would make them think
> >far more than any gesture you might give.

> I think this is an _excellent_ idea. But surely most photography flashes
> do only one at once and then need to recharge?

So use two.