Get back with G/F or stay on the bike??? Help.

I think the answer lies in the 1924 TDF for your issue about girlfriend/wife.

1924 Tour de France - known as the Tour de Souffrance.

Monsieur Bague, Henri Desgrange's assistant, is talking to cyclists who are dying with exhaustion and complaining that they're unable to continue on.

Rider "I am tired, I am sick of this race - cycling 14 hours per day - all day every day, This is hell"
Bague "You are sick of cycling ! How can you say this ? You have only completed 4,129 kms" (the race was 5,500 kms !) "You have no concept of hell".
Rider "I am sick, I tell you. I cannot go on".
Bague "You will go on ! Have you no heart ? No courage ? You will go on because you must go on".
Rider "I can't go on - I miss my wife".
Bague "You miss your wife ! - your bike is your wife. Now get on that bike and cycle !"

Substitute the word wife for girlfriend and follow Monsieur Bague's advice.

WINGNUTT said:
OK, here's the sitch. My g/f broke up with me a few weeks ago because she needed "find out who she is" and because I "wasn't communicating with her" and blah blah blah. I was REALLY bummed out for a while because this chick is pretty cool and we've been together for 2.5 years. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her, but am not yet ready to make the mistake of marriage like some of my friends. Since the breakup, I've gone from riding around 50 miles per week to around 150 because I have so much extra time. I can do 3000 ft. climbs no problem and feel more healthy than ever. I love having the extra time, but it sucks not having this chick to hang out with.

So, here's the question... we've been talking since the breakup and communicating a lot better than before. I figure I can fix the relationship with some flowers now and then, and a few more heart to heart talks and blah blah blah - I wasn't good with the mushy stuff, but whatever, guys have to put forth some effort cuz those stupid little things mean a lot to girls, and I'm ready to do that. She's coming over tomorrow after work and wants to talk about the future, possibly getting back together. So gimme some advice, I want to hear from the voice of experience as to what's more important: riding a lot and playing the dating game w/ no serious relationship, or riding moderately w/ a chick you care about.

JMHO but

she either:
1. Found another guy to date
2. Trying to put pressure on you to commit to a more serious relationship
3. Family putting pressure on her to dump you

Sounds like it is time to move on (unless you really love her ;) )

What's that quote by Rudyard Kipling..something about "a woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke"?

OK, I love women, and it's a tough one, but there must be something relevant in there somewhere. A nice bicycle is hard to pass up. I know because I just got a new one.

Luckily I have an understanding wife, though when I told her I wanted to keep it in the bedroom, so I could look at it, she rebelled at that one.

Best of luck.

Chester1 said:
What's that quote by Rudyard Kipling..something about "a woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke"?

OK, I love women, and it's a tough one, but there must be something relevant in there somewhere. A nice bicycle is hard to pass up. I know because I just got a new one.

Luckily I have an understanding wife, though when I told her I wanted to keep it in the bedroom, so I could look at it, she rebelled at that one.

Best of luck.

I should resist but I can't. No offense.

Bill Clinton: A woman is just a woman but if you have a cigar in your pocket an intern in the library" its a party Dude"!

Dude,

Since you just in high school, most likely this WON'T be the one you settle down with. If you want to try and patch it up great. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, jump on the bike and ride. You might just find a girl that likes to spin too, and what a treat that would be....

L

* My bike doesn't care when i come home drunk.
* My bike doesn't feel left out when all i want to do is watch the footy.
*My bike doesnt answer back.
*After purchasing my bike, there has been very little maintenence cost.
* I get to ride my bike several times a day, sometimes for hours....and it doesn't get sore...

i want to marry my cannondale

NB-any female riders i DO NOT mean to appear sexist by perpetrating a false stereotype. The above is merely for humour, and does not represent my values or ethics.:)

When I still had my old girlfriend (we broke up 2 weeks ago) I would have wanted to give up anything for her........
So I'd say that if this is your honest question you are not worth her. If you think that cycling is worth more than her....than well.......maybe she is worth more then you.

Sorry for being so harsh......

Dump her.

Go spend some time in Thailand.

Remember, a good hooker is well worth the money.

Men don't pay women to sleep with them, they pay them to go away afterwards.
:)

dude, be a man. move on. trust me, shes probably just playing you.

WINGNUTT said:
OK, here's the sitch. My g/f broke up with me a few weeks ago because she needed "find out who she is" and because I "wasn't communicating with her" and blah blah blah. I was REALLY bummed out for a while because this chick is pretty cool and we've been together for 2.5 years. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her, but am not yet ready to make the mistake of marriage like some of my friends. Since the breakup, I've gone from riding around 50 miles per week to around 150 because I have so much extra time. I can do 3000 ft. climbs no problem and feel more healthy than ever. I love having the extra time, but it sucks not having this chick to hang out with.

So, here's the question... we've been talking since the breakup and communicating a lot better than before. I figure I can fix the relationship with some flowers now and then, and a few more heart to heart talks and blah blah blah - I wasn't good with the mushy stuff, but whatever, guys have to put forth some effort cuz those stupid little things mean a lot to girls, and I'm ready to do that. She's coming over tomorrow after work and wants to talk about the future, possibly getting back together. So gimme some advice, I want to hear from the voice of experience as to what's more important: riding a lot and playing the dating game w/ no serious relationship, or riding moderately w/ a chick you care about.

i take it you don't like the clingy, needy type of girl

iknowtest said:
Dump her.

Go spend some time in Thailand.

Remember, a good hooker is well worth the money.

Men don't pay women to sleep with them, they pay them to go away afterwards.
:)

velogal said:
i take it you don't like the clingy, needy type of girl
HOLY SH!T!!! This thread is still alive!! I suppose you deserve an update then. She's dumped.

what's more important: riding a lot and playing the dating game w/ no serious relationship, or riding moderately w/ a chick you care about.

Question is, what do you want to do? Girls come and go but someone you can vibe and get along with who puts up with your shite is rare. So weigh those decisions, but whatever you do, remember that life has got to be fun....you only got one. BTW, flowers and chocolates are so 10 years ago. Women would rather have meaningful conversations than petty material things, listen to her then pick up on what she says and see if you can give her a gift based on her interests. And sometimes, the best gifts are the ones you make yourself.

werd.

The reason that you are able to do more miles on your bike is because you have all that "poision" building up in your system since your main squeeze has left. It's just like the episode on Seinfeld when George could not have sex with his girlfriend for a week and he became smart. Hold out until you find a girlfriend that loves to ride. Make it a science experiment, try and see how much better you get on your rides vs. how long you don't have realations with her. Please let us know. Maybe that was Lance's secret and why he split up with his wife.

I have now made some nice new friends, swimming, cycling, cafes, no more wombats, that just want eat my food and to jump my bones. Yes it pays to wait.