Get good sprint position

koger

Apr 5, 2005
Hello

I'm not a good sprinter, neither physical or technically.
My legs were just not made for sprinting. So to be able to at least get a average finish, I need to place myself at a good position for the sprint. But too many times, I end up having to start the sprint from the 15-20th position, and then I'm really lost :)

Can anybody tell me how I get in a perfect position for the sprint?

koger said:
Hello

My legs were just not made for sprinting. So to be able to at least get a average finish, I need to place myself at a good position for the sprint. But too many times, I end up having to start the sprint from the 15-20th position, and then I'm really lost :)

It depends.

koger said:
Hello

You stay in the first 10 in the last couple of miles and see if you can figure out which of the physically biggest guys who's up the front with you is good in the sprint. Stay glued to his wheel like your life depended on it... When he does 'kick' you'll probably get dropped - just try your best to delay the inevitable as long as possible then search for other wheels to try and leech onto.

koger said:
Hello

If you cant sprint you cant sprint. There is no point finishing 7th vs 20th so there is no point you following a sprinters wheel in a sprint. You may as well sit up and get out of the farken way.

There is nothing bloody worse than a hack who cant sprint getting in the way of sprinters in a sprint finish. Forget about it.

If you cant sprint then you need to get away earlier. If its a crit you need to get off the front and see if you can put together a good working group to neutralise the sprint finish. If its a RR then you need to put the sprinters under real pressure and break them 15-30km from the finish.

You may as well lay it all on the line when the situation is in your physiological favour. Following a sprinters wheel in a sprint finish when you cant sprint is gheyness personified.

koger said:
Hello

Like the other posters said, it depends. But don't get yourself stuck at the back with no chance keep up the front even if it requires a lot more effort. You might want to consider some gym work to improve your sprints as well.

what does fabian cancellara do? he goes BEFORE the sprint.

you're going about it the wrong way. no sense in beating that horse. don't wait to sprint if you're not going to win that way. don't play the sprinters game.

1) go with 2 laps to go.
2) go with 1/2 a lap to go.
3) go with a break earlier in the race, that means you might only be battling 5-10 guys to the line instead of 50.

the sprinters don't like it when someone spoils the leadout train.