Get off the road... Theres a sidewalk buddy....

roadjunkie

Aug 3, 2009
Just got into cycling this summer and its been a blast i ride with a couple guys that have been in it for a while but i was wondering what kind of responses you guys have to your typical a hole motorist that thinks he owns the road when he says things like hey theres a side walk or get out of the road or any others you guys can think of.

roadjunkie said:
Just got into cycling this summer and its been a blast i ride with a couple guys that have been in it for a while but i was wondering what kind of responses you guys have to your typical a hole motorist that thinks he owns the road when he says things like hey theres a side walk or get out of the road or any others you guys can think of.

Uhm, I just ignore them. Doing anything else is a waste of energy.

I usually just shake my head at stupid stuff but where I ride there are no sidewalks for the most part and most drivers are courteous. A lot of them recognize me since I ride the same roads a lot.

It's been very rare for me to encounter a discourteous motorist since I've lived in the Twin Cities area. I don't know if that's just luck or what..

It's the other people riding bikes you have to watch out for. Every time I ride I see at least one person doing what I call a "stupid bike trick". Sometimes it does anger me, but most of the time I just blow it off and ride on.

No sense in letting an incident spoil my ride....

64Paramount said:
It's been very rare for me to encounter a discourteous motorist since I've lived in the Twin Cities area. I don't know if that's just luck or what..

It's the other people riding bikes you have to watch out for. Every time I ride I see at least one person doing what I call a "stupid bike trick". Sometimes it does anger me, but most of the time I just blow it off and ride on.

No sense in letting an incident spoil my ride....

Where do you get off giving a perfectly reasonable answer, eh?

I think some people believe that just because their vehicle has got a motor it entitles them to rule the roads and it can be frustrating but really I try to rise above it as it's pretty infrequent for abuse to be yelled.

ya sometimes when they say get off the road ill say you first or give them the bird just wondering what everyone else did.

exchangeandmart said:
...it's pretty infrequent for abuse to be yelled.

There you go. I live in a metro area of over 1 million people, and butthead motorist encounters are probably less than 1% of total encounters. Much less. Responding to their shouts or bonehead maneuvers only encourages them to do it again, to someone else, and cements in their minds that cyclists shouldn't be on the road and are worthy targets of abuse. So by responding to them, a rider is only making things worse for his fellow cyclists. This doesn't even take into account what might be in that driver's glove compartment or under his seat, or how often road rage degenerates to something worse.