Get out of the bike lane!

darrenstehr

Dec 2, 2002
getoutofthebikelane.com is a site dedicated to removing vehicles parked in Toronto, Ontario, Canada's bike lanes. This site is only 20 days old but already well received by the cycling community and the media.<br /><br />Regardless of where you live we would like to hear your story if you have been injured in a bike lane. Please send it to [email protected]<br /><br />No ads nor nothing for sale. We encourage other cyclists who have had their lives endangered to copy our site. <br /><br />

what a great idea!<br />Any word if they've actually been successful at changing anything yet (even after just 1 month)??<br />someone should start it up on this site....<br /> ;D ???

Good idea. We don't have bike lanes here in SA, and cyclists get hit almost everyday.<br />On our training ride this past weekend, Eldron almost got taken out by some monkey in a Isuzu bakkie. A few hefty bangs on the side of the vehicle made him wake-up.

It is really hard to determine at this point if it is having much effect. What is suprising is the fact that it got so much attention so fast and there is universal anger by cyclists over people blocking bike lanes. Right now it is pretty cold here but I am sure when spring rolls around the response will even be greater.<br /><br />Darren Stehr

We turned tables on Purolator (large courier company) on December 19th. They decided to block the bicycle lane so we blocked Purolator in. We only did twice for five minutes but hopefully the drivers supervisor found out about it.

I am also a Toronto commuter who rides in rain/sun/snow/sleet/ice<br /><br />The problem that I see here is that if a truck were to stay out of the bike lane and stay in the &quot;car lane&quot; for their delivery it would create a similarly dangerous situation for the cyclist. <br /><br />A narrow passageway would be created for the cyclist in between the curb and the truck. You risk being hit by the driver at the back making a delivery and have a blind exit at the front.<br /><br />At the end of the day I think it is safer for the truck/car/whatever to block the bikelane and force traffic to go around.<br /><br />Cyclists just need to be patient and ride safely (I won't get into that though :) )<br /><br />

The problem that I see here is that if a truck were to stay out of the bike lane and stay in the &quot;car lane&quot; for their delivery it would create a similarly dangerous situation for the cyclist. <br /><br /><br />You are right. Yet in every situation I have photographed so far there have been alternatives for the delivery trucks. They include driveways and designated parking spots. They do require the driver to maybe walk a little further but they are getting paid. Are you getting paid to ride in that bike lane?... you are paying for it with your tax dollar.

still -- ppl don't give a **** about anyone else in Toronto.......so no surprise.<br /><br />good luck -- but I think it is a losing battle.<br /><br />but a good one!

Parking in a Bike Lane in Florida will get the driver a nice Parking Ticket (even with a Load/Unload permit....)

You should check your laws and see if it is ticketable....

Companies don't like there drivers getting tickets.

Well at least we hope they will get a ticket. Not seen too many cars doing this... Usually the oddball stopped to talk on the phone or read a map...

In South Florida they do love to park in the fire lanes!

Preston, they do that here to, come back to empty space and get hit with a $25 parking violation as well as a $200 police tow charge (and they tow you to some way out of town tow yard)