get out of the bike lane

Is it illegal to park in bike lanes in Melbourne? If so, the police can put the speed cameras away
and make a hoooogh amount of dough in Charman Road and Beach Road.

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I saw http://getoutofthebikelane.com/ and im gonna make one for australia, well, NSW.
>
> Comments anyone?

Dunno, ill check, but its illegal in NSW

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 03:18:15 +1000, "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it illegal to park in bike lanes in Melbourne? If so, the police can put the speed cameras away
>and make a hoooogh amount of dough in Charman Road and Beach Road.

I had a bit of a look at that site, and it seems to me that the vast majority of vehicles photgraphed are vans and trucks, presumably being driven by some poor ******* who is only trying to make a delivery and earn a living. While I agree that there are a LOT of moronic drivers out there who do stupid things, (like the driver of a semi-trailer who overtook and then turned in front of me just 2 days ago...causing me to almost soil my undies) I reckon there has to be a bit of understanding and tolerance from cyclists as well.

By all means, if you want to expose drivers doing stupid or illegal things, go right ahead....but lets not go overboard.

UNDIE SOILER! ahem ;)

On 23 Oct 2003 09:10:24 +0950, Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had a bit of a look at that site, and it seems to me that the vast majority of vehicles
>photgraphed are vans and trucks, presumably being driven by some poor ******* who is only trying to
>make a delivery and earn a living. While I agree that there are a LOT of moronic drivers out there
>who do stupid things, (like the driver of a semi-trailer who overtook and then turned in front of
>me just 2 days ago...causing me to almost soil my undies) I reckon there has to be a bit of
>understanding and tolerance from cyclists as well.
>
>By all means, if you want to expose drivers doing stupid or illegal things, go right ahead....but
>lets not go overboard.

It's illegal to block bike lanes and also illegal to travel in them for more than a certain
distance (50m?)

Taxis -grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Don't mind sharing with motor cycles down St Kilda Rd, but only if they ride at a respectable speed
in peak hour.

"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Is it illegal to park in bike lanes in
Melbourne? If so, the police can put the speed cameras away and make a hoooogh amount of dough in
Charman Road and Beach Road.

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I saw http://getoutofthebikelane.com/ and im gonna make one for australia, well, NSW.
>
> Comments anyone?

It's easy to say "It's illegal to park in bike lanes"..or "it's illegal to do this or that or whatever" ...or "it's illegal to fart in the bath"....but can you QUOTE the legislation that says this??? I haven't gone looking for it, nor do I intend to...but if you can quote it I'll be impressed.

by the way ..I only ALMOST soiled them...

Yep, looks like it's 50 metres. <gets up on high horse> 50 metres too many, I say! </high horse>

Australian Road Rules [NSW regulations]

Division 6 - Driving in marked lanes designated for special purposes 153 Bicycle lanes
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not drive in a bicycle lane, unless the driver is
permitted to drive in the bicycle lane under this rule or rule 158.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/arr210/s153.html

ROAD SAFETY (TRAFFIC) REGULATIONS 1988 (Victoria)
2. Driving in a bicycle lane

(3) Despite regulation 502 and except as provided by sub-regulation (2), the driver of a vehicle
other than a bicycle must not drive the vehicle in a bicycle lane.

Penalty: 2 penalty units.

(4) Sub-regulation (1) does not apply to the driver of a vehicle who-
(a) is entering the carriageway or is turning or intends to turn from the carriageway in
accordance with these Regulations; or

(b) is overtaking on the left of a vehicle which is being turned right or is about to be turned
to the right from the carriageway; or

(c) intends to park or leave the vehicle standing where permitted by these Regulations; or

(d) is driving the vehicle from a parking area or the boundary of the carriageway; or

(e) is the driver of a public commercial passenger vehicle who intends to stop the vehicle to
take up or set down passengers-

if the driver does not enter the bicycle lane except within 50 metres of the place where the
movement is to take place or leaves the bicycle lane within 50 metres of the place where the
movement took place. Penalty: 2 penalty units.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/rsr1988290/s516.html

See also: POLICE v HOWIE No. SCGRG-98-1543 Judgment No. S6991 [1998] SASC 6991 (9 December 1998)
Howie, apparently a serial parking offender - see: Howie v Marsh (1994) 178 LSJS 314, where he was
parked in a clearway, and argued the Magna Carta or somesuch - parks in a bike lane, gets a ticket,
argues, umm, the vibe of the Constitution http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/1/641/top.htm,
SA's Finest win. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/sa/SASC/1998/6991.html

Umm, any qns, email me at [email protected]

(<gets down on knees> Please, God/Allah/Buddha/whomever's out there, let that be a joke email
address </knees>)

roofi wrote:

> It's illegal to block bike lanes and also illegal to travel in them for more than a certain
> distance (50m?)
>
> Taxis -grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>
> Don't mind sharing with motor cycles down St Kilda Rd, but only if they ride at a respectable
> speed in peak hour.
>
> "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... Is it illegal to park in bike lanes in
> Melbourne? If so, the police can put the speed cameras away and make a hoooogh amount of dough in
> Charman Road and Beach Road.
>
> --
> Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com
>
> Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
> www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp
>
> "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I saw http://getoutofthebikelane.com/ and im gonna make one for australia, well, NSW.
> >
> > Comments anyone?

NSW COnsolidated regulations :australiasn road rules, section 187
www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/arr210/s187.html?query=%7e+bicycle+lane
On 23 Oct 2003 23:10:36 +0950, Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's easy to say "It's illegal to park in bike lanes"..or "it's illegal to do this or that or
>whatever" ...or "it's illegal to fart in the bath"....but can you QUOTE the legislation that says
>this??? I haven't gone looking for it, nor do I intend to...but if you can quote it I'll be
>impressed.
>

>by the way ..I only ALMOST soiled them...

Well, I have now read a whole swag of **** and legalese on this topic. It seems the pertinent section of the Aussie road rules is Part 12, Section 2, with particular reference to rules 167 and 189. Rules 153 and 158 are concerned with driving within bicycle lanes and are irrelevent where parking is concerned.

To quote a Critical Mass document I read, " A vehicle parked in a bicycle lane is not breaking the law by virtue of this fact alone. However, a vehicle is breaking the law if it is parked between another parked car and the centre of the road ('double-parked'), or if it is parking in a 'No Standing' zone. Therefore it is illegal to park in any bicycle lane that has car parking to its left or has the protection of a 'No Standing' zone."

So, unless a vehicle is parked contrary to one of these rules, think twice before giving the driver an earful...he (or she) is doing nothing wrong.

By the way...it puzzles me why people insist on incuding the text of previous posts in their replies. A heap of repetition makes me tired. I KNOW what I said, and if I forget I can go back and read it again..there's no need to quote me.

Call me picky and fastidious, but that's my nature.

Well...

I guess "usenet etiquette" is an oxymoron, similar to "legal ethics", "religious tolerance", "police
integrity", "good corporate citizen", "atkins health diet", or "clipless (just to get this remotely
back on topic) pedals."

In pragmatic terms, if you don't include at least the relevant parts of the post you're replying to,
it means other readers may have to search and click around a bit to find out what you're rambling on
about. QV!

ps: I'm *sure* my pedals are saying "klip...k-less!" when I click into 'em.

read 187 mate On 24 Oct 2003 17:10:34 +0950, Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I have now read a whole swag of **** and legalese on this topic. It seems the pertinent
>section of the Aussie road rules is Part 12, Section 2, with particular reference to rules 167 and
>189. Rules 153 and 158 are concerned with driving within bicycle lanes and are irrelevent where
>parking is concerned.
>
>To quote a Critical Mass document I read, " A vehicle parked in a bicycle lane is not breaking the
>law by virtue of this fact alone. However, a vehicle is breaking the law if it is parked between
>another parked car and the centre of the road ('double-parked'), or if it is parking in a 'No
>Standing' zone. Therefore it is illegal to park in any bicycle lane that has car parking to its
>left or has the protection of a 'No Standing' zone."
>
>So, unless a vehicle is parked contrary to one of these rules, think twice before giving the driver
>an earful...he (or she) is doing nothing wrong.

On 24 Oct 2003 17:10:34 +0950, Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I have now read a whole swag of **** and legalese on this topic. It seems the pertinent
>section of the Aussie road rules is Part 12, Section 2, with particular reference to rules 167 and
>189. Rules 153 and 158 are concerned with driving within bicycle lanes and are irrelevent where
>parking is concerned.
>
>To quote a Critical Mass document I read, " A vehicle parked in a bicycle lane is not breaking the
>law by virtue of this fact alone. However, a vehicle is breaking the law if it is parked between
>another parked car and the centre of the road ('double-parked'), or if it is parking in a 'No
>Standing' zone. Therefore it is illegal to park in any bicycle lane that has car parking to its
>left or has the protection of a 'No Standing' zone."

They are wrong
>So, unless a vehicle is parked contrary to one of these rules, think twice before giving the driver
>an earful...he (or she) is doing nothing wrong.

(Clever reply, part 2 of 2)

In article <>, Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote:

> By the way...it puzzles me why people insist on incuding the text of previous posts in their
> replies. A heap of repetition makes me tired. I KNOW what I said, and if I forget I can go back
> and read it again..there's no need to quote me.
>
> Call me picky and fastidious, but that's my nature.

It gives context to one's own posting. See what I mean?

--
K.A. Moylan Canberra, Australia Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au kamoylan at ozemail dot com dot au

(Clever reply, part 1 of 2)

It gives context to one's own posting. See what I mean?

--
K.A. Moylan Canberra, Australia Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au kamoylan at ozemail dot com dot au

Paul_MCMLIX <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> By the way...it puzzles me why people insist on incuding the text of previous posts in their
> replies. A heap of repetition makes me tired. I KNOW what I said, and if I forget I can go back
> and read it again..there's no need to quote me.

A few more reasons.

Firstly, when Googling, it is very cumbersome to click around trying to figure out who said what. It
can also be misleading, because if you delete all the text, and someone has included the
the wrong person.

Secondly, some folks (like me) use the Hide Read Messages option (or similar) in their newsreader,
and thus you only get to see that message outside of the hierarchical structure. Read messages don't
appear. This is important in a ng with lots of traffic.

Thirdly, it shows specifically which part or the original message you are replying to.
---
DFM