Get Powells Creek cycle path fixed

biker jk

Oct 24, 2005
The cycle path which runs along Powells Creek to Sydney's Bicentennial Park is in a shockingly dangerous state due to tree roots uplifting the asphalt. I have been phoning Strathfield Municipal Council for six months now to enquire when it's due for repair. I was told "before Christmas 2005" was very likely but nothing has been done. The latest is that they will try to get it done "end February/early March" but there was no guarantee except that it would be completed by "the end of the financial year" (end June). This is not good enough and the path in its current poor condition is an accident waiting to happen for cyclists. Please contact Strathfield Council (ph: 9748 9999) and ask for the person looking after engineering works, to get this much need repair completed sooner rather than later.

Perhaps you should tell the council that pedestrians will get hurt? Given the design and state of most bicycle paths that I have seen/ used in NSW, I can only presume that nobody much cares about what the paths are like for bicycles.
I was in Victoria recently, and most country towns had better bicycle lanes/ paths than here.

I thought that the council had "fixed" it when they put up signs telling cyclists and pedestrians that the path is uneven and dangerous.

I suppose they believe that this is all they need to cover their arses.

Scotty

scotty72 said:
I thought that the council had "fixed" it when they out up signs telling cyclists and pedestrians that the path is uneven and dangerous.

I suppose they believe that this is all they need to cover their arses.

Scotty
I'm sure that's what the council believes because they are clearly in no hurry to fix it. They missed a great opprtunity to fix it when the car park adjacent was re done. It just drives me crazy having to cycle over that path in its shocking condition. I bet you they had it perfect for the Olympics!!!