GET RID OF THESE F%@&!$G ADS!!!!

I don't know what they OP's hidden agenda is or if he (or she) even has one. But I used to be a very active member of this forum and I've all but stopped reading it because I hate sifting through the SPAM (and doping threads... the GT forum should be changed to doping forum) to find something that I might actually be interested in. Every once in awhile I stop to see what's new but I don't post mcuh anymore. I've found some other forums that I like better. I won't post the URLs for fear that I'll be accused of having a "hidden agenda". :rolleyes:

meehs said:
I don't know what they OP's hidden agenda is or if he (or she) even has one. But I used to be a very active member of this forum and I've all but stopped reading it because I hate sifting through the SPAM (and doping threads... the GT forum should be changed to doping forum) to find something that I might actually be interested in. Every once in awhile I stop to see what's new but I don't post mcuh anymore. I've found some other forums that I like better. I won't post the URLs for fear that I'll be accused of having a "hidden agenda". :rolleyes:

You think you have it bad, Meehs?

I find posters who continually post only about the TDF - very boring.
I also find posters who continually post only about doping - very boring.
I find posters who continually post only about their favourite rider - extremely boring.

There is an entire season of cycling that could be commented on outside of the TDF, doping and ones favourite rider.

It's up to the members to control the content of this site - and to post within given parameters.
I wish more members would try to post on the myriad of topics that we could all discuss.

The start of the 2008 cannot come quickly enough in my opinion.

meehs said:
I think that's a fair assessment. If anyone else wants to discuss the GT's and pretend that doping is not a relevant issue worth discussing (I mean..would there even be a doping problem if we all just stopped talking about it???), there are other forums where talking about doping in the context of pro cycling is frowned upon or censured.

Doping is a naughty negative issue that makes us feel bad as cycling enthusiasts to discuss, so why talk about it???

For me though...I have a tendency to want to problem solve...no matter how unrealistic that may seem...and getting our heads, as cycling fans, out of the deep sand that the UCI put them in, is one of the major steps towards cleaning up this sport IMHO.

limerickman said:

I find posters who continually post only about their favourite rider - extremely boring.

There is an entire season of cycling that could be commented on outside of the TDF, doping and ones favourite rider.

It's up to the members to control the content of this site - and to post within given parameters.
I wish more members who either try to post on the myriad of topics that we could all discuss.

So the sooner we get the title of this forum changed to "Pro Cycling", the sooner we can remove the reluctance of new members to post threads outside of the GT's.

Crankyfeet said:
So the sooner we get the title of this forum changed to "Pro Cycling", the sooner we can remove the reluctance of new members to post threads outside of the GT's.

Not that I'm denigrating your suggestion about the section title - but I suspect that you could call the section by any title you care to choose, and you'd still have people who will only post about their favourite rider/TDF/Doping regardless.

But I'm all for change and I too would welcome a change of title heading in the hope that we might get more varied posts.

I'll put that suggestion to Steve.

limerickman said:
Not that I'm denigrating your suggestion about the section title - but I suspect that you could call the section by any title you care to choose, and you'd still have people who will only post about their favourite rider/TDF/Doping regardless.

But I'm all for change and I too would welcome a change of title heading in the hope that we might get more varied posts.

I'll put that suggestion to Steve.
The problem with the TdF overweighting... Is that for many Americans... this is the race they were weened on... and this is still the only one that is given sigbificant TV coverage.

I'm going to get the internet stream this season...which will open a lot of potential discussion for me...to talk more about other races'.....doping....:p

Crankyfeet said:
The problem with the TdF overweighting... Is that for many Americans... this is the race they were weened on... and this is still the only one that is given sigbificant TV coverage.

Most certainly is a problem.
And one which I think should be addressed pronto.

I would prefer to see this site attract more informed posters - rather than the constant regurgitation of the same subjects.
Two seasons ago we had threads opened for most races and the traffic content and comment were very good - especially from European based posters who had access to the races under discussion.
Granted we still had people talking about the TDF - but the entire section was more evenly balanced between TDF and non-TDF comment.

The 2005 Giro thread was particularly memorable - great contributions from members interested in discussing the race/tactics.

limerickman said:

I wish more members would try to post on the myriad of topics that we could all discuss.

I hear you. But unfortunately as forum members we have no ability to even delelte the SPAM threads. Let alone block the SPAMmers from making future posts. I can live with and avoid the doping talk (I did for years). But the SPAM is literally destroying this forum. It looks like a garbage can now.

Crankyfeet said:
I think that's a fair assessment. If anyone else wants to discuss the GT's and pretend that doping is not a relevant issue worth discussing (I mean..would there even be a doping problem if we all just stopped talking about it???), there are other forums where talking about doping in the context of pro cycling is frowned upon or censured.

Doping is a naughty negative issue that makes us feel bad as cycling enthusiasts to discuss, so why talk about it???

For me though...I have a tendency to want to problem solve...no matter how unrealistic that may seem...and getting our heads, as cycling fans, out of the deep sand that the UCI put them in, is one of the major steps towards cleaning up this sport IMHO.

I'm very well aware of the doping problem in professional cycling. My head is not stuck in "the deep sand". But on this "GT" <cough> forum, one can start a thread entitled "What's your Favorite GT Stage of All Time?" and in 12 posts it'll most likely degenerate into "yeah but Armstrong is a doper and Pantani never doped and my guy is squeaky clean".

Discussing the doping probelm in a dedicated thread (or forum) is great. Not being able to discuss any aspect of cycling without having the discussion devolve into a doping debate is ridiculous!

The fact that for months the most active and longest lived thread on this forum has been one entitled "This Forum is Dying" speaks volumes.

meehs said:
I'm very well aware of the doping problem in professional cycling. My head is not stuck in "the deep sand". But on this "GT" <cough> forum, one can start a thread entitled "What's your Favorite GT Stage of All Time?" and in 12 posts it'll most likely degenerate into "yeah but Armstrong is a doper and Pantani never doped and my guy is squeaky clean".

Discussing the doping probelm in a dedicated thread (or forum) is great. Not being able to discuss any aspect of cycling without having the discussion devolve into a doping debate is ridiculous!

The fact that for months the most active and longest lived thread on this forum has been one entitled "This Forum is Dying" speaks volumes.
That's a fair point on particular threads going off-topic into doping and it is disrespectful to the OP and others who click on the thread.

Ironically...you may have done this yourself in this thread...as I don't think it was about doping...and you brought the subect up...:rolleyes:

I don't think we should bar doping being discussed in here on dedicated doping threads though. That's too much like restriction of free speech about an important current issue in pro cycling IMHO.

I'm also glad you see the irony in the FID thread....:)

Crankyfeet said:
Ironically...you may have done this yourself in this thread...as I don't think it was about doping...and you brought the subect up...:rolleyes:

Haha! You're right! Good point! :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtventoux
What on earth would my "hidden agenda be????

Your agenda would be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtventoux
I wish everyone here counld move over to http://www.dailypeloton.com

Which you would have as much chance of achieving as getting the whole of New York's population to move to Havana because the weather is better.

Oh, nice one. I hadn't opened this thread until now. I didn't realize how action-packed it was.

Aquamarinos said:
Is there any moderation or a spam filter in this forum??

I can't stand the spams!
We're hoping it's a short term problem (as in it will be dealt with shortly)...

Our mod in here (GT forum) is actually the only one doing something about it...