Get some "pre-milk" and boost your 40km TT time.

Sillyoldtwit

Jan 13, 2006
I've just read this article in an English speaking newspaper here in Japan today.

Apparently mammals, including humans produce colostrum (pre-milk) the first few days after giving birth. This milk is dense with protein and other nutrients, as well as antibodies and growth factors. anyway they fed this milk to a bunch of cyclists and here is the result:

Purpose: The aim of this experiment was to investigate the influence of low dose bovine colostrum supplementation on exercise performance in cyclists over a 10 week period that included 5 days of high intensity training (HIT).

Methods: Over 7 days of preliminary testing, 29 highly trained male road cyclists completed a VO2max test (in which their ventilatory threshold was estimated), a time to fatigue test at 110% of ventilatory threshold, and a 40 km time trial (TT40). Cyclists were then assigned to either a supplement (n = 14, 10 g/day bovine colostrum protein concentrate (CPC)) or a placebo group (n = 15, 10 g/day whey protein) and resumed their normal training. Following 5 weeks of supplementation, the cyclists returned to the laboratory to complete a second series of performance testing (week 7). They then underwent five consecutive days of HIT (week 8) followed by a further series of performance tests (week 9).

Results: The influence of bovine CPC on TT40 performance during normal training was unclear (week 7: 1±3.1%, week 9: 0.1±2.1%; mean±90% confidence limits). However, at the end of the HIT period, bovine CPC supplementation, compared to the placebo, elicited a 1.9±2.2% improvement from baseline in TT40 performance and a 2.3±6.0% increase in time trial intensity (% VO2max), and maintained TT40 heart rate (2.5±3.7%). In addition, bovine CPC supplementation prevented a decrease in ventilatory threshold following the HIT period (4.6±4.6%). Conclusion: Low dose bovine CPC supplementation elicited improvements in TT40 performance during an HIT period and maintained ventilatory threshold following five consecutive days of HIT.

Don't think for a moment that WADA isn't gonna consider banning that too!

I know bovine colostrum was marketed heavily to bodybuilding back in the 90's, but I never really heard outstanding remarks from those who used the products. These products seem to make a rotational cycle through the years.:)

Not commenting to the validity of the study attached, but just personally have not heard outstanding comments from my local sources.

I am not against experimenting though if the product was economically acceptable to the CFO of my house. The wifey sometimes gets a little frown on her face when she looks in our supplement cabinet, but I usually tell her that I need to know so I can inform clients and friends.

What about just sucking the stem cells out of an animal fetus for the enhanced recovery benefits?

..... what? :eek:

Sillyoldtwit said:
I've just read this article in an English speaking newspaper here in Japan today.

Apparently mammals, including humans produce colostrum (pre-milk) the first few days after giving birth. This milk is dense with protein and other nutrients, as well as antibodies and growth factors. anyway they fed this milk to a bunch of cyclists and here is the result:

Also likely the results are just random statistical errors, since the "margin of error" specified seems to exceed or equal the performance gains for each of the parameters.

frenchyge said:
What about just sucking the stem cells out of an animal fetus for the enhanced recovery benefits?

Didn't George Hamilton used to do that, claiming it kept him young looking?

* Shudders * :eek: