Get that man an 8 Freight!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark McNeill, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > or at least a decent set of panniers.
    >
    > "Cameron's secret shoe chauffeur"
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/r2e43
    >
    > When questioned about the environmental impact of personal transport for
    > Mr Cameron's belongings, a Tory spokesman said: "If he could carry all
    > of the boxes of documents on his bike, then he would."

    And a Bob Yak for his existing bike would cost a lot less than Cherie's
    hairdos, so NuLabour couldn't complain...

    Cheers, helen s

  3. spindrift

    spindrift Guest

    Jeremy Paxman pointed out how poor the cycling facilities are in London
    on Newsnight last night, but I'm afraid I was barely listening because
    I got the giggles after a po-faced Tory started speculating on the size
    of David Cameron's box.

  4. Ian Blake

    Ian Blake Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:14:55 +0100, "wafflycat"
    <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

    >"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]o.uk> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> or at least a decent set of panniers.
    >>
    >> "Cameron's secret shoe chauffeur"
    >>
    >> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/r2e43
    >>
    >> When questioned about the environmental impact of personal transport for
    >> Mr Cameron's belongings, a Tory spokesman said: "If he could carry all
    >> of the boxes of documents on his bike, then he would."
    >>

    >And a Bob Yak for his existing bike would cost a lot less than Cherie's
    >hairdos, so NuLabour couldn't complain...
    >
    >Cheers, helen s

    I think the Bob Yak although very good is overpriced. Many others
    such as Zwei Plus Zwei Croozer Cargo will do the job at half the
    price.

  5. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:02:56 +0100, Mark McNeill wrote:

    > or at least a decent set of panniers.
    >
    > "Cameron's secret shoe chauffeur"
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html

    As I said in reply to this elsewhere:
    And let's look at this stupid 'Dave the Chameleon' advert.
    For the first time we get a leading politician who genuinely rides a
    bike. And the likes of Two Shags, who is no racing snake, decide to
    ridicule him for it.
    We should be praising David Cameron for cycling at every opportunity,
    independent of his political hue.
    And let's look at this stupid 'Dave the Chameleon' advert.
    For the first time we get a leading politician who genuinely rides a
    bike. And the likes of Two Shags, who is no racing snake, decide to
    ridicule him for it.
    We should be praising David Cameron for cycling at every opportunity,
    independent of his political hue.

    Its appalling that the press ridicule David Cameron for riding a bike.
    Look at the ministers and the PM from number 10 - I think they always take
    limos for the short walk to Parliament.
    We live in a democracy where our leaders are too afraid to walk in the
    streets on a daily basis.

  6. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    I agree it is overpriced, but all the single wheel trailers (e.g. Monoporter) seem to be very expensive, shame as I would really like one. (I know EBC supply one, but seem to remember reading a review that said it had quite a few faults).

    Bryan

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Ian Blake wrote:

    > I think the Bob Yak although very good is overpriced. Many others
    > such as Zwei Plus Zwei Croozer Cargo will do the job at half the
    > price.

    I'm not so sure. A two wheeled trailer isn't the same - it has separate
    advantages and disadvantages. The cheap BoB copies (like the one
    Edinburgh Bikes sell) are ok, but no-where near as well built. When
    I saw one in the flesh I was a little disappointed.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  8. Mark McNeill wrote:
    > or at least a decent set of panniers.
    >
    > "Cameron's secret shoe chauffeur"
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/r2e43
    >
    > When questioned about the environmental impact of personal transport for
    > Mr Cameron's belongings, a Tory spokesman said: "If he could carry all
    > of the boxes of documents on his bike, then he would."

    I wonder when Westminster will move into the 20th Century (I'd
    hate to speculate when they'd move into the 21st Century)
    and start keeping these documents electronically rather than having
    to cart around lumps of processed dead tree everywhere ?

    Can't he keep a pair of shoes and some clean shirts in the office ?

    Douglas

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark McNeill wrote:
    > or at least a decent set of panniers.

    <snip>

    I have emailed Mr. Cameron and suggested an 8 Freight to him, along with
    the review page in VeloVision and pointing out it's a flag-flying
    British design and build...

    Seeing him on one would be worth my personal loss of exclusivity points!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  10. i artikel [email protected], skrev Mark McNeill
    [email protected] den 06-04-28 12.02:

    > or at least a decent set of panniers.
    >
    > "Cameron's secret shoe chauffeur"
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/r2e43
    >
    > When questioned about the environmental impact of personal transport for
    > Mr Cameron's belongings, a Tory spokesman said: "If he could carry all
    > of the boxes of documents on his bike, then he would."

    I would also like to dispense with the chauffeur and Lexus. You just can't
    get good people these days.

    However the 8-Freight and other cargo bikes is of fixed length and can not
    be taken on public transport. I've been looking at CarryFreedom's City and
    Y-Frame trailers; the former can be taken on public transport, and the
    latter can be fitted with an extra long arm for transporting long objects.
    http://www.carryfreedom.com/

    I mostly want to transport some sails and boat/camping stuff up to 20 km.
    Since I'm looking at an hour's bike ride, and I already have a folding
    Brompton bike, I'm attracted to using public transport with the folding
    CarryFreedom City. I could easily make a form-fitting wood platform for it,
    for carrying things you don't put in the 70 litre bag it comes with. It
    would also be useful as a suitcase.

    The Y-Frame can be fitted with a longer arm so I could transport things over
    1m in length. It also takes 90kg, sufficient for a passenger (safety risk
    yadda yadda) while the City only takes 40kg. Maybe 40kg is enough for most
    purposes.

    Then there is the Radical Design Cyclone trailer which looks similar to
    the City, though the Radical Design website is not as informative as
    CarryFreedom's is. Like the City it only takes 40kg, but again, maybe that's
    enough. The Cyclone has two slots per wheel. Put the wheels in the rear
    slots and it becomes a shopping stroller. Put the wheels in the front slots
    and becomes a balanced bike trailer.
    http://radicaldesign.nl/en/products/trailers/cyclone.html

    I would be delighted to hear your opinions, and especially experiences.

    --
    Erik Sandblom
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > And a Bob Yak for his existing bike would cost a lot less than Cherie's
    > hairdos, so NuLabour couldn't complain...

    I just think it's a shame BLiar doesn't use those left over Star Trek
    costumes from the Election campaign "to boldly go"

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >>

    >> And a Bob Yak for his existing bike would cost a lot less than Cherie's
    >> hairdos, so NuLabour couldn't complain...
    >>

    > I just think it's a shame BLiar doesn't use those left over Star Trek
    > costumes from the Election campaign "to boldly go"

    Where Prescott has not gone before ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  13. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ian Blake Wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:14:55 +0100, "wafflycat"
    >> <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]

    >> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1763537,00.html

    >> for

    >> all
    >> >>

    >> >And a Bob Yak for his existing bike would cost a lot less than

    >> Cherie's
    >> >hairdos, so NuLabour couldn't complain...
    >> >
    >> >Cheers, helen s

    >> I think the Bob Yak although very good is overpriced. Many others
    >> such as Zwei Plus Zwei Croozer Cargo will do the job at half the
    >> price.

    > I agree it is overpriced, but all the single wheel trailers (e.g.
    > Monoporter) seem to be very expensive, shame as I would really like
    > one. (I know EBC supply one, but seem to remember reading a review that
    > said it had quite a few faults).
    >
    > Bryan

    I am very happy with my BOB Yak trailer (it was £235 from Gearshift last
    December). I had a look-see at the EBC one and I was not filled with
    enthusiasm . I had the good fortune to try a BOB Yak last year, for a day,
    while cycling down the Danube and was very impressed -- a simple and
    effective hitch too!. Huge improvement in handling my velo without its 4
    panniers!
    When I get back from my 2006 Rhein/Mosel Tour ( starting in 3 weeks time) I
    will tell you what I think of it after 2000 kms on the clock. So far on
    training runs I am doing virtually full load runs of about 20 miles a day
    and the trailer has behave impeccably.

    I would not consider a two wheeled trailer at all.

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > I would not consider a two wheeled trailer at all.

    It would be very hard for me to fit a bed on a bob yak. So that'll be a
    two wheel trailer for John Prescott then.[1]

    ...d

    [1] but who would tow it?

  15. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Douglas Steel wrote:

    > I wonder when Westminster will move into the 20th Century (I'd
    > hate to speculate when they'd move into the 21st Century)
    > and start keeping these documents electronically rather than having
    > to cart around lumps of processed dead tree everywhere ?

    Because paper is easier to deal with in the back of a car/on
    a train etc?

    I'm like everyone I know and print out any big document I have
    to read seriously. When display resolutions and convience get
    up there with paper then I'll change. I think that will take
    at least 5 years.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:

    > Because paper is easier to deal with in the back of a car/on
    > a train etc?
    >
    > I'm like everyone I know and print out any big document I have
    > to read seriously. When display resolutions and convience get
    > up there with paper then I'll change. I think that will take
    > at least 5 years.

    And not even then. Paper like displays are already available (see e-Ink
    for example) but they lack the ability to flick through and turn over
    pages. Think of finding a passage you are looking for in a book. You
    can flick through the pages to roughly the right place and then search
    by context. Trying to do that, or flick between pages to compare parts
    of a document, or even scribble notes on the margin just isn't there
    with electronic media.

    I do the same as Arthur.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  17. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    > >
    > > Because paper is easier to deal with in the back of a car/on
    > > a train etc?
    > >
    > > I'm like everyone I know and print out any big document I have
    > > to read seriously. When display resolutions and convience get
    > > up there with paper then I'll change. I think that will take
    > > at least 5 years.
    > >

    > And not even then. Paper like displays are already available (see e-Ink
    > for example) but they lack the ability to flick through and turn over
    > pages. Think of finding a passage you are looking for in a book. You
    > can flick through the pages to roughly the right place and then search
    > by context. Trying to do that, or flick between pages to compare parts
    > of a document, or even scribble notes on the margin just isn't there
    > with electronic media.
    >
    > I do the same as Arthur.

    <aol>

    Print to read. You don't need to lug a big screen/laptop around. You
    can stuff it happily into panniers etc as you wish. No batteries to run
    down.

    And much less eye strain. I like to be able to read the whole page at
    hi res. No screen is good enough for that yet.

    ...d

  18. i artikel [email protected], skrev Tony Raven på
    [email protected] den 06-04-28 16.02:

    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >>
    >> Because paper is easier to deal with in the back of a car/on
    >> a train etc?
    >>
    >> I'm like everyone I know and print out any big document I have
    >> to read seriously. When display resolutions and convience get
    >> up there with paper then I'll change. I think that will take
    >> at least 5 years.

    > And not even then. Paper like displays are already available (see e-Ink
    > for example) but they lack the ability to flick through and turn over
    > pages. Think of finding a passage you are looking for in a book. You
    > can flick through the pages to roughly the right place and then search
    > by context. Trying to do that, or flick between pages to compare parts
    > of a document, or even scribble notes on the margin just isn't there
    > with electronic media.

    Usually a passage will have a certain word you can search for. That's
    quicker. Adobe Acrobat and most word processors have features for "scribble
    comments/notes".

    Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

    --

  19. Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Douglas Steel wrote:
    >

    >>I wonder when Westminster will move into the 20th Century (I'd
    >>hate to speculate when they'd move into the 21st Century)
    >>and start keeping these documents electronically rather than having
    >>to cart around lumps of processed dead tree everywhere ?

    > Because paper is easier to deal with in the back of a car/on
    > a train etc?

    Yes, but he's not reading them on his bike is he (I hope) ?

    > I'm like everyone I know and print out any big document I have
    > to read seriously. When display resolutions and convience get
    > up there with paper then I'll change. I think that will take
    > at least 5 years.

    I totally agree, I do that too - but does he really need to transport
    a big box of papers back and forwards everyday ?

    Suerely he could just print off the few he needs to read
    when he needs to read them, rather than have a Lexus follow him
    with everything you might need just in case.

    With a bit of planning and thought (and a printer at home and in
    the office) this should be straightforward.

    Douglas

  20. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    Douglas Steel wrote:
    > I wonder when Westminster will move into the 20th Century (I'd
    > hate to speculate when they'd move into the 21st Century)
    > and start keeping these documents electronically rather than having
    > to cart around lumps of processed dead tree everywhere ?

    Ones cover-ups are MUCH more likely to succeed with a shred'n burn
    policy. Electronic copies always seem to leave incriminating copies of
    themselves...