Get that man an 8 Freight!

Peter Clinch wrote:

> davek wrote:
>
> > His actual policies, especially when it comes to economics, are
> > dyed-in-the-wool Tory. If that's what you want to vote for, fair enough,
> > but please don't vote for him just cos he seems like a nice bloke.

> Or just because he rides a bike, for that matter...

I could vote Tory as they have give us the biggest laughs.
That Prescott fellah should take up acting.

Ummm.

John B

davek wrote:

> I'm not convinced that DC is such a nice bloke anyway - scratch the
> surface...

I'd prefer it if you pushed the knife right in ;-)

John B

Tony Raven wrote:
> He's a politician, what d'you expect?

My point exactly.

But I suspect most of those who voted for TB and are now thinking of
voting for DC are probably not very interested in politics.

d.

>> Perhaps it may occur with the BikeHod type design but I suspect that a
>> two-wheel trailer overturning is a *very* rare occurrence.

> Well, I'll admit mine was a Bike Hod (and I'd say it's a very useful
> trailer at modest speeds and for urban use) but I could easily capsize
> it without resorting to stones or potholes - just fast cornering was
> enough. And as for very rare, no, not at all. More common than
> p*nct*res.

Maybe we should consider three types of trailer - single wheel, sensible
2-wheel and bike hod - comparing the dynamics of the bike hod to almost any
modern 2 wheeler is just not valid.

cheers,
clive

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Well, I'll admit mine was a Bike Hod (and I'd say it's a very useful
> trailer at modest speeds and for urban use) but I could easily capsize
> it without resorting to stones or potholes - just fast cornering was
> enough. And as for very rare, no, not at all. More common than
> p*nct*res.

But while a Bike Hod is a 2 wheel trailer, the reverse is not
necessarily true...

Otherwise every time moppet transport comes up people wouldn't be saying
"trailers like the Burley Chariot are good", they'd be saying "whatever
you do don't use two wheel trailers, they capsize on a frequent basis",
which AFAICT they're not.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 3 May 2006 06:27:42 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Some more advice on load carrying from the telegraph..

I sent him an e-mail. This pointed out the ease of leaving shoes in
the office and transporting them occasionally in a pannier, trailer
or simply strapped to the rack.

I also indicated the benefits of reducing, by sending information
electronically and questioned whether any pieces of paper need to be
enclosed in red (presumably heavy) boxes, as opposed to the thin
cardboard folders "real people" use.

I pointed him at http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/index.html and
asked whether he could read, in one night, all the pieces of paper
that can be put in one? I suspect that he can't. His journey
involves no significant hills as far as I can see.

While Mr Cameron is to be praised for his steps so far, he still has
a long way to go. He can avoid mass media storms by asking for
advice in the appropriate places. Mr Cameron has a better image than
the lying scumbag slimeball he seeks to replace, but he could do a
lot better by asking for some simple advice which would be freely
offered. I hope Mr Cameron is offered a trailer for a trial and
takes this up.

The Labour Party have failed completely and utterly on transport, as
some predicted that they would. Perhaps it is time these slugs were
scraped off our boots.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Well, I'll admit mine was a Bike Hod (and I'd say it's a very useful
> trailer at modest speeds and for urban use)

That's not a trailer, its a shopping trolly to which you can attach a
bicycle. The dynamics to flip it are totally different to that required
for a solid, stable two wheeler such as Worf, a Burley, or similar.
With a Bike Hod, even a small impact can cause it to rotate around the
towing arm and capsize as gravity is not much help.

> but I could easily capsize
> it without resorting to stones or potholes - just fast cornering was
> enough. And as for very rare, no, not at all. More common than
> p*nct*res.

I'll bring Worf to the next SIHPV meet and you can have a go at
flipping it off kerbs, cornering etc.

I'd reckon that you would find it very hard whether loaded or unloaded.

...d

David Hansen wrote:
> I pointed him at http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/index.html and
> asked whether he could read, in one night, all the pieces of paper
> that can be put in one? I suspect that he can't. His journey
> involves no significant hills as far as I can see.

A BOB Yak would probably have been a better option. Overgrown shopping
trolleys would not a happy commute make.

...d

davek wrote:

> But I suspect most of those who voted for TB and are now thinking of
> voting for DC are probably not very interested in politics.

True. For most of them politics is the page they have to turn over to
get to Page 3. Remember "It's the Sun wot won it"

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, John B
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Simon Brooke wrote:

> > After many years of heavy use I've never got anywhere near that
> > scenario, and mine's a pretty standard two-wheel design (Vitelli)
> > A wheel would probably have to bounce about half-a-metre to get close
> > to overturning, and that just isn't going to happen.

> No? You aren't adventurous enough.

Descending at 40mph with a lawnmower on the trailer behind the trice over a
potholed lane not good enough then :-(
Oh well, I need to get out more.

> > Perhaps it may occur with the BikeHod type design but I suspect that a
> > two-wheel trailer overturning is a *very* rare occurrence.

> Well, I'll admit mine was a Bike Hod ,,,

Aha...
I thought you had a proper trailer ;-)

John B

On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:22:39 -0700, David Martin wrote:
> After that, the precise 1/2 wheel choice is down to the individual.

The only other concession that I'd add is that one-wheelers can put some
nasty forces through the back end of a bike. Not ideal for lighter bikes
or those whose rear might prove a little underengineered.

While riding it isn't a problem, but low speed manouvering (Especially
pushing the bike[1]) can (read _will_) result in jacknifing and at that
point a loaded one-wheel can exert some impressive torque!

Jon

[1] My full-blooded test of a Yak involved a trip to Britanny. The
itenerary was as follows:

Edinburgh -> London (Train)
Kings Cross -> Waterloo (IIRC) (Cycle)
Waterloo -> Portsmouth (Train - Had to de-hitch trailer, guard was
horrified at first sight!)
Portsmouth -> St. Malo (Ferry - involves ramps and manouvering of bike
into small (ish) storage area.)
St. Malo -> Pluduno (Cycle)

Navigating out of Portsmouth station (Platforms to street) was close to a
nightmare and involved reversing the bike (with trailer attached) into the
lift.

In article <[email protected]>, Jon
Senior ([email protected]) wrote:

> The only other concession that I'd add is that one-wheelers can put some
> nasty forces through the back end of a bike. Not ideal for lighter bikes
> or those whose rear might prove a little underengineered.
>
> While riding it isn't a problem, but low speed manouvering (Especially
> pushing the bike[1]) can (read _will_) result in jacknifing and at that
> point a loaded one-wheel can exert some impressive torque!

That depends on how under-engineered the back end is. As originally
supplied, the Kingcycle, with its non-triangulated rear end, would go
into a terrifying attack of the wobbs at about 30 mph even with a quite
moderate load. Fortunately when I discovered this, the bus lane past
Holloway Prison was devoid of buses.

Adding some "seat stays", confected from channel-section ally, with
additional bracing from the rear rack, improved things considerably.
Though the thing did still try to launch me at Kent on the way to the
2000 Worlds.

Other people have recorded similar behaviour from other Dark Side
machinery. By way of contrast, the two-wheeled trailer I confected from
a plastic removals crate, some steel shelving supports and a brace of
surplus-to-requirements MTB wheels was a model of decorum on a
Leytonstone-Copenhagen-Leytonstone trip. It weighed about three tons
though.

Better hide the pork scratchings...

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Well, I'll admit mine was a Bike Hod (and I'd say it's a very useful

Ah. There's your problems. They're shite.

--
Arthur Clune

On 3 May 2006 07:36:54 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>With a Bike Hod, even a small impact can cause it to rotate around the
>towing arm and capsize as gravity is not much help.

If it is not loaded properly.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On 3 May 2006 07:39:45 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>A BOB Yak would probably have been a better option.

Possibly. Does his route to the Westminster parliament involve
tricky narrow paths with rough surfaces?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

I just love this thread.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where urc has a 70+ post thread
discussing, in all seriousness, the best bicycle trailer for use by the
next PM <cough, delete> leader of the Tories.

David Hansen wrote:
> On 3 May 2006 07:36:54 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >With a Bike Hod, even a small impact can cause it to rotate around the
> >towing arm and capsize as gravity is not much help.

> If it is not loaded properly.

It is all in the design. Like the winther donkey the axis of pull is
too closely aligned with the cog so it is unstable [1] with any sort of
load. A moderate pertubatin will pivot around the towing arm and then
be pulled further out of balance, upsetting the trailer. A single wheel
of the bob Yak or a double wheel of a cart rather than shopping trolley
design would be far bette in this respect as the former is held stable
by the hitch and the latter requires a massive pertubation to flip.

...d

[1] Under normal operating conditions it will exceed its envelope of
stability. If I was commuting through the traffic I wouldn't want to
have to worry about the stability of the trailer along with traffic
management and solving the Great Problems of The Day (tm)

Not Responding wrote:
> I just love this thread.
>
> I never thought I'd live to see the day where urc has a 70+ post
> thread discussing, in all seriousness, the best bicycle trailer for
> use by the next PM <cough, delete> leader of the Tories.

Well, the specs are difficult to decide. Would he like the convenience and
short wheelbase of the bike hod or the style and easy riding of a Yak?

I think he'd go for the Yak, myself, but he could easily make a fool out of
himself when parking it up. Still, it's just more stylish. Or custom made
panniers in a special red box size.

--
Ambrose

Jon Senior wrote:
> On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:22:39 -0700, David Martin wrote:
>> After that, the precise 1/2 wheel choice is down to the individual.

> The only other concession that I'd add is that one-wheelers can put
> some nasty forces through the back end of a bike. Not ideal for
> lighter bikes or those whose rear might prove a little
> underengineered.
>
> While riding it isn't a problem, but low speed manouvering (Especially
> pushing the bike[1]) can (read _will_) result in jacknifing and at
> that point a loaded one-wheel can exert some impressive torque!

Other point to note is that jackknifing can occur on a one wheel trailer
under braking, or in my case, if you hit unevenness on the path while
turning (for example, the towpath suddenly goes from being surfaced to being
the foundations of a surfaced towpath (I'm not blaming anyone else, just
stating what happened.).). It's not that pleasant.

And yes, it is a normally a two stage process to park the bike and trailer
up. Also, as David Martin pointed out, it's not nice riding when the weight
of the trailer's getting close to the weight of the bike (which is more than
the design weight of the Yak)
--
Ambrose

i artikel [email protected], skrev Ambrose Nankivell på
[email protected] den 06-05-03 21.37:

> I think he'd go for the Yak, myself, but he could easily make a fool out of
> himself when parking it up. Still, it's just more stylish. Or custom made
> panniers in a special red box size.

What about the assistant in the Lexus? The assistant can bike too, one with
a kickstand. When they arrive at Parliament, the assistant stands his/her
own bike, and then holds up the Leader of the Opposition's bike and trailer.

I read the 8 Freight has a pneumatic stand. Mr Cameron's Yak could have one
like that too, wirelessly controlled via Bluetooth. The necessary
electricity would be generated by a hub dynamo. That way the assistant in
the Lexus would be completely redundant. What a way of using technology to
save the environment!

Then there's the low two-wheeled trailers. The ones on CarryFreedom's
website look nice. They would probably stand up if Mr Cameron's bike has a
kickstand.

Or maybe he needs a recumbent tandem. The assistant in the Lexus would take
the back seat, and stand the bike while Mr Cameron unloads the important
documents. Or maybe they would have a second assistant: One sitting, one
getting the documents, and Mr Cameron walks off to the office. Anyway a
recumbent tandem might be faster, and the assistant in the Lexus could then
double as bodyguard, in real-time endurance training.

--
Erik Sandblom
my site is EriksRailNews.com