Get The Most Out Of Your Used Road Bike

johnny123

Sep 13, 2015
What is the best way to get the most money out of your used bike. This might not be the right section to post this. Sorry if it isn't.

By keeping it well maintained and "using" it. I think the problem with this sport is, people are overly concerned with equipment and always feel at a disadvantage if they don't have the latest or greatest. I'm guilty of this as well as I have been looking into new wheels. The best way to think about it is think about pros of 30-40 years ago. The bikes they used pale in comparison to even modern day entry level bikes, but they'd destroy any of us in a race. When you think about it like that, its the engine(you) that counts.

I bought a used Cannondale Synapse Tiagra for $800 5 months ago and only changed the wheels so far. I've never had any problem with it and don't think it being used or new made any difference except me holding on to 400 extra bucks :D .

I agree and the best way to get your moneys worth is by using it.

I know a lot of people that when they first get into cycling buy the top of the range bike and then after 6 months it's just stuck in the garage.

They say it was a waste of money, well it wouldn't be if they actually used it instead of driving everywhere because its easier.

If I am not sure if I will like a new hobby or sport, I will first either borrow or buy a used equipment or bike in this case to save money. Sometimes when you finally got what you want you will all of a sudden might lose your interest in it simply because you already have it. To be safe spend your money wisely when acquiring new things that is the best advice

I do think that it's always best to test something out first, and even if you can't borrow a bike, then even buying a cheap model and using that for a couple of months will help you decide if you want to take it up or not.

Either way you need to make sure that whatever bike you buy, you get the most out of it and don't let it go to waste.

I think basic maintenance and regular use is the best you can do. I had a second hand road bike for years before I upgraded and it was perfectly serviceable for getting me to and from work, which is all I needed. There's no point going with all the most expensive stuff unless you know for sure you're going to be legit using it.

Looking after something us often the best way to make it last. That might seem like an obvious statement to make, but I think a lot of people expect something to last forever without any kind of maintenance.

While it's true that modern day bicycles might not need as much looking after as they used to, cleaning and basic maintenance is still required and is the best way to keep it in good shape for as long as possible.