Get well soon Hippy!

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy, uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter disappeared last year to the UK.

If you've been reading his blog you'd know he's enjoyed many an cycling adventure, beverage and culinary experience on the continent before 'settling down' in the UK for boring employment reasons. Unfortunately young hippys health recently took a rather nasty turn, but never fear, he's now on the mend!

Send him a get-well-soon-type message here in the comments, as I don't think he will be checking email or listening to loud doof for a while:
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=641 :) :) :)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:53:07 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy,
> uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter
> disappeared last year to the UK.

<snip>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=641 :) :) :)

Ooh, sounds nasty! Though the answer to his question "Is it classier
throwing up in public when wearing a tie?" is a resounding YES! I fell
suddenly ill in the middle of a job interview a month or two back (thanks
to my son for that bug!) and threw up in a car park behind the Hilton hotel
in Perth. As soon as I'd finished a guy came up and offered me a bottle of
Coke to take away the taste, I was very grateful (though didn't take up the
offer). I doubt that would have happened if I'd been dressed in my normal
off-duty scruffy attire.

Graeme

BTW, I still got the job, yay!

Graeme Dods said:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:53:07 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy,
> uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter
> disappeared last year to the UK.

<snip>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=641 :) :) :)

Ooh, sounds nasty! Though the answer to his question "Is it classier
throwing up in public when wearing a tie?" is a resounding YES! I fell
suddenly ill in the middle of a job interview a month or two back (thanks
to my son for that bug!) and threw up in a car park behind the Hilton hotel
in Perth. As soon as I'd finished a guy came up and offered me a bottle of
Coke to take away the taste, I was very grateful (though didn't take up the
offer). I doubt that would have happened if I'd been dressed in my normal
off-duty scruffy attire.

Graeme

BTW, I still got the job, yay!

Stereotyping. A suit and tie (and being clean shaven) lets you get away with a lot of things. :)

I noticed a change just going from suit and tie with beard to suit and tie without beard.

Anyway, I left a message on Hippy's blog. Similar thing happened to a mate of mine only his symptoms were not quite as severe. It took the doctors 2 years to diagnose him correctly. All is now well with him, and hopefully Hippy should be OK too.

SteveA

On 2006-05-01, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> Anyway, I left a message on Hippy's blog. Similar thing happened to a
> mate of mine only his symptoms were not quite as severe. It took the
> doctors 2 years to diagnose him correctly. All is now well with him,
> and hopefully Hippy should be OK too.

I seem to recall Hippy complaining of migraines for ages. I wonder
how long ago it was that he had his sushi in Japan?

--
TimC
An Emacs reference mug is what I want. It would hold ten gallons of coffee.

On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:51:39 +1000, SteveA wrote:

> Stereotyping. A suit and tie (and being clean shaven) lets you get
> away with a lot of things. :)

Yep. Apparently you're considerably more likely to have someone come to
your aid if you collapse in the street (heart attack, faint, whatever) if
you're wearing a suit rather as opposed to casual clothes. Mind you, you're
also more likely to have a heart attack if you're wearing a suit (probably
some correlation with sedentary lifestyles).

Graeme

flyingdutch said:
you ride a recumbant with s suit and tie on? :D

And with my long socks pulled up over the suit trousers !!!!

(That's it, FD. I'm not going to encourage your unhealthy fantasies any more) :D :D .

A lawyer mate of mine who is a cycle commuter in Perth had to leave work in a hurry one day to go to his daughter's school as she had had an accident. He always commuted to work in his suit when he lived and worked in Germany where he was born, so he was comfortable hopping on his bike in his suit here. Daughter was "disgusted"....Not because he turned up on a bike but because he was wearing his suit and tie while riding.

He also annoys his kids by wearing his Deutche Telecom 'magenta' lycra.

SteveA

On 2006-05-01, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> Anyway, I left a message on Hippy's blog. Similar thing happened to a
> mate of mine only his symptoms were not quite as severe. It took the
> doctors 2 years to diagnose him correctly. All is now well with him,
> and hopefully Hippy should be OK too.

I seem to recall Hippy complaining of migraines for ages. I wonder
how long ago it was that he had his sushi in Japan?

--
TimC
An Emacs reference mug is what I want. It would hold ten gallons of coffee.
-- Steve VanDevender
My mate's doctors could not tell him what had caused it. Prior to the problem, he had spent 6 years living and working in China so 'it may have been something he ate' as they say.

I had not seen him for a while and when he was visiting Perth, we went out for dinner. Once we had opened a good bottle of red, he delighted in shocking me by asking "Did I tell you I had brain surgery a few months ago?".

It's a great opening line.

SteveA

"SteveA" wrote

> He also annoys his kids by wearing his Deutche Telecom 'magenta'

lycra.

Being able to annoy your kids whilst having a good time is very
important. Smaller kids tend to think it's cool for grandparents to do
things that they wouldn't want to see their parents do. When my
grandson was four he invited me to his kindy for grandparents day. His
mates very impressed, and his cred went up 300% when his granddad
turned up on a Moto Guzzi wearing a 'Brando' jacket. All the other
grandparents turned up in beige Magnas and similar.

Theo

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy,
> uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter
> disappeared last year to the UK.

:) He's posted all the gory details on his blog.

On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:17:44 +0000, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> his cred went up 300% when his granddad
> turned up on a Moto Guzzi

"Yeah, Granddad can make an Italian bike run long enough to make it here!"

g,d&r
--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory

"Random Data" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
> > his cred went up 300% when his granddad
> > turned up on a Moto Guzzi

> "Yeah, Granddad can make an Italian bike run long enough to make it

here!"

Your knowledge of non-Ducati Italian motorcycles is showing.

Theo
On his third Guzzi since 1976. 192,000 on the current one.

On 2006-05-02, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> "Random Data" wrote
>> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>> > his cred went up 300% when his granddad
>> > turned up on a Moto Guzzi

>> "Yeah, Granddad can make an Italian bike run long enough to make it

> here!"
>
> Your knowledge of non-Ducati Italian motorcycles is showing.
>
> Theo
> On his third Guzzi since 1976. 192,000 on the current one.

revs? 192,000 revs @ 6000rpm (just a guess), gives you... half an
hour before the piston works loose.

--
TimC
Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to figure

"TimC" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote

> > On his third Guzzi since 1976. 192,000 on the current one.

> revs? 192,000 revs @ 6000rpm (just a guess), gives you... half an
> hour before the piston works loose.

192,000 kms Tim. That would be 384 million revs (assuming I was always
in fifth gear)

Theo

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 02 May 2006 12:13:09 GMT
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

> revs? 192,000 revs @ 6000rpm (just a guess), gives you... half an
> hour before the piston works loose.

The V7 Sport owners manual tells you to run the bike in by gentle revs
for the first couple of hundred km then redline it for at least 5
minutes.....

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 02 May 2006 12:13:09 GMT
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>revs? 192,000 revs @ 6000rpm (just a guess), gives you... half an
>>hour before the piston works loose.

> The V7 Sport owners manual tells you to run the bike in by gentle revs
> for the first couple of hundred km then redline it for at least 5
> minutes.....
>
> Zebee

Are we talking bicycles here?

cfsmtb said:
As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy, uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter disappeared last year to the UK.

If you've been reading his blog you'd know he's enjoyed many an cycling adventure, beverage and culinary experience on the continent before 'settling down' in the UK for boring employment reasons. Unfortunately young hippys health recently took a rather nasty turn, but never fear, he's now on the mend!

Send him a get-well-soon-type message here in the comments, as I don't think he will be checking email or listening to loud doof for a while:
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=641 :) :) :)

Long time no post..

Cheers guys!! :)

I'm out of hospital now and will probably give work a crack tomorrow although the vision is still a bit dodgy so the commuting might have to be by train rather than bike, at least for a while. :S

hippy
"if I only had a brain.."

hippy wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
> > As many longterm readers would know, aus.bicycle's very own hippy,
> > uber-cyclist, co-founding Goatage participant and a.b overposter
> > disappeared last year to the UK.
> >
> > If you've been reading his blog you'd know he's enjoyed many an cycling
> > adventure, beverage and culinary experience on the continent before
> > 'settling down' in the UK for boring employment reasons. Unfortunately
> > young hippys health recently took a rather nasty turn, but never fear,
> > he's now on the mend!
> >
> > Send him a get-well-soon-type message here in the comments, as I don't
> > think he will be checking email or listening to loud doof for a while:
> > http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=641 :) :) :)

> Long time no post..
>
> Cheers guys!! :)
>
> I'm out of hospital now and will probably give work a crack tomorrow
> although the vision is still a bit dodgy so the commuting might have to
> be by train rather than bike, at least for a while. :S

Too much grog! Not enough RIDING!

Your head's been doing its best impersonation of two blokes stuck in a
hole in Tasmania - they found 'em in Launceston.

Bleve said:
Too much grog! Not enough RIDING!

Yes and yes. Unfortunately not the cause though.
Had my first drink in weeks last night mwahahahah :D
It's past your bedtime dude - remember, rest is important :p

hippy