Getting a bent to Europe

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Janaka, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Janaka

    Janaka Guest

    Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back? janaka

    Tags:

  2. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back?

    On the plane with you. Which 'bent? I've flown a LWB RANS Stratus and a Lightning Voyager to Europe.
    I have a friend that accompanied me with his P-38. I can probably tell you what ever you need to
    know to get a 'bent to Europe. I just need more details. On international flights, bikes fly free as
    one of the two allowed pieces of luggage per passenger. Excess baggage rules are changing as we
    discuss this. My recommendation is to fly with a non-US carrier since US carriers tend to shaft
    cyclists whenever they can.

    Check out my two trips on my web site below.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Steve Wood

    Steve Wood Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message Excess baggage rules are changing as
    > we discuss this. My recommendation is to fly with a non-US carrier since US carriers tend to shaft
    > cyclists whenever they can.

    That's for sure! We took our Greenspeed tandem to Germany in Sept 2002. Total checked baggage for
    the two of us was one Crateworks box for most of the bike (80 lb) and a large duffel bag for the
    seats and panniers (40 lb). Continental charged $80 each way - despite our protests. The airlines
    are tightening up on weight now... $50 for bags over 50 lb, not taking anything over 100lb, etc.

    There's a thread about this going on the touring list too.

    A couple of other options for Europe (and I've done both)that could reduce the hassle a bit: a) rent
    a recumbent or b) buy one there and bring (or ship) it home.

    see http://jstevenwood.com/travel.htm for the stories

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben Fox wrote:

    > Pontoons? Ben fox "Janaka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back? janaka

    Ben,

    I want to see you set out across the Atlantic Ocean on one of these: <
    http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/ >. ;)

    I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :) <
    http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Floating.jpg > <
    http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Inflate.jpg > < http://www.shuttlebike.com/Nicole_H2O_rid.jpg >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  6. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Tom, I'll go half on the price ,you get the kit and I get Nicole. Ben fox "Tom Sherman"

    > Ben Fox wrote:
    > >
    > > Pontoons? Ben fox "Janaka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there
    and
    > > > back? janaka
    >
    > Ben,
    >
    > I want to see you set out across the Atlantic Ocean on one of these: <
    > http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/ >. ;)
    >
    > I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :) <
    > http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Floating.jpg > <
    > http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Inflate.jpg > <
    > http://www.shuttlebike.com/Nicole_H2O_rid.jpg >
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben Fox wrote:

    > Tom, I'll go half on the price ,you get the kit and I get Nicole. Ben fox

    Ben,

    I suggest a time-share arrangement - I will get Nicole first while you set out across the Atlantic
    to Europe on the bike and pontoons. Besides, wouldn't your wife take a dim view of you keeping
    Nicole around the house? ;

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000 )

  8. "Tom Sherman" skrev>
    > I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :)

    Is she inflatable too?

  9. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    If she is I won't need the pontoons. Ben fox "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "Tom Sherman" skrev>
    > > I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :)
    >
    > Is she inflatable too?

  10. Most girls self inflate over time. Only few manages to find the valve in time..