Getting a bent to Europe



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Janaka

Guest
Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back? janaka
 
C

Cletus Lee

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back?

On the plane with you. Which 'bent? I've flown a LWB RANS Stratus and a Lightning Voyager to Europe.
I have a friend that accompanied me with his P-38. I can probably tell you what ever you need to
know to get a 'bent to Europe. I just need more details. On international flights, bikes fly free as
one of the two allowed pieces of luggage per passenger. Excess baggage rules are changing as we
discuss this. My recommendation is to fly with a non-US carrier since US carriers tend to shaft
cyclists whenever they can.

Check out my two trips on my web site below.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -
 
S

Steve Wood

Guest
Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message Excess baggage rules are changing as
> we discuss this. My recommendation is to fly with a non-US carrier since US carriers tend to shaft
> cyclists whenever they can.

That's for sure! We took our Greenspeed tandem to Germany in Sept 2002. Total checked baggage for
the two of us was one Crateworks box for most of the bike (80 lb) and a large duffel bag for the
seats and panniers (40 lb). Continental charged $80 each way - despite our protests. The airlines
are tightening up on weight now... $50 for bags over 50 lb, not taking anything over 100lb, etc.

There's a thread about this going on the touring list too.

A couple of other options for Europe (and I've done both)that could reduce the hassle a bit: a) rent
a recumbent or b) buy one there and bring (or ship) it home.

see http://jstevenwood.com/travel.htm for the stories
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Ben Fox wrote:
>
> Pontoons? Ben fox "Janaka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there and back? janaka

Ben,

I want to see you set out across the Atlantic Ocean on one of these: <
http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/ >. ;)

I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :) <
http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Floating.jpg > <
http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Inflate.jpg > < http://www.shuttlebike.com/Nicole_H2O_rid.jpg >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000
 
B

Ben Fox

Guest
Tom, I'll go half on the price ,you get the kit and I get Nicole. Ben fox "Tom Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Ben Fox wrote:
> >
> > Pontoons? Ben fox "Janaka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Planning a tour around Europe. Any ideas on how to get my bent there
and
> > > back? janaka
>
> Ben,
>
> I want to see you set out across the Atlantic Ocean on one of these: <
> http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/ >. ;)
>
> I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :) <
> http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Floating.jpg > <
> http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/images/Inflate.jpg > <
> http://www.shuttlebike.com/Nicole_H2O_rid.jpg >
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
> Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Ben Fox wrote:
>
> Tom, I'll go half on the price ,you get the kit and I get Nicole. Ben fox

Ben,

I suggest a time-share arrangement - I will get Nicole first while you set out across the Atlantic
to Europe on the bike and pontoons. Besides, wouldn't your wife take a dim view of you keeping
Nicole around the house? ;

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000 )
 
M

Mikael Seierup

Guest
"Tom Sherman" skrev>
> I want the complete kit shown in these photos: pontoons, bike, and Nicole. :)

Is she inflatable too?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.