getting a frame ball burnished

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rich Conroy, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Rich Conroy

    Rich Conroy Guest

    Does anybody know of a company that would ball burnish a single bike frame or otherwise do small
    jobs like this? Who does this kind of work in small lots. Everyone I've called in the yellow pages
    under metal polishing turns down the job, because they are industrial sized businesses that do
    large volumes.

    I have an old Jamis Dakar frame with a polished finish. The finish is in rough shape. I searched
    rec.bicycles.tech for ball burnishing, but found no info on who does this work.

    If you respond to this message directly, don't send responses to postmark.net. I have a new
    email address:

    [email protected]

    thanks, rich

    Tags:

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    ball burnished can have very positive effects on fatigue, but do you really need it? b.b'ing /does/
    require a bunch of specialized equipment and if they're not geared up for it, i can understand a
    lack of enthusiasm by a local shop for a one-off job that is arguably unnecessary.

    if you want to prep for refinishing, would you consider sand blasting? plenty of people do that for
    cheap and in one-off quantities.

    Rich Conroy wrote:
    > Does anybody know of a company that would ball burnish a single bike frame or otherwise do small
    > jobs like this? Who does this kind of work in small lots. Everyone I've called in the yellow pages
    > under metal polishing turns down the job, because they are industrial sized businesses that do
    > large volumes.
    >
    > I have an old Jamis Dakar frame with a polished finish. The finish is in rough shape. I searched
    > rec.bicycles.tech for ball burnishing, but found no info on who does this work.
    >
    > If you respond to this message directly, don't send responses to postmark.net. I have a new email
    > address:
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > thanks, rich

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (Rich Conroy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anybody know of a company that would ball burnish a single bike frame or otherwise do small
    > jobs like this? Who does this kind of work in small lots. Everyone I've called in the yellow pages
    > under metal polishing turns down the job, because they are industrial sized businesses that do
    > large volumes.
    >
    > I have an old Jamis Dakar frame with a polished finish. The finish is in rough shape. I searched
    > rec.bicycles.tech for ball burnishing, but found no info on who does this work.
    >
    > If you respond to this message directly, don't send responses to postmark.net. I have a new email
    > address:
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > thanks, rich

    Dear Rich,

    You may get better help if you mention where you are.

    http://www.eaglemasterinc.com

    These people might be worth an email or phone call, since they pick up and handle such requests.
    The odds are that they're nowhere near you, but they might be able to give you a line on someone
    where you live.

    Carl Fogel

  4. rconroy-<< Does anybody know of a company that would ball burnish a single bike frame or otherwise
    do small jobs like this? >><BR><BR>

    Try Rainbow CycleCraft, in Niwot, CO. Ad in the back of this month's Velonews.