Getting a new Bike

NwBker

Oct 17, 2002
So I'm looking at getting a new bike, and the new cannondale R600 looks really good to me. Any comments? :-\

Hi, Im not sure if you are from SA or not, but Cannondale is pricey. I'm sure that you will get more value for money if you look at the GIANT range. My reasons is simple : I've got a CAAD 4 C/Dale with full 105 shimano.(Picture is "on "my bike" on this site".) Looking at the Giant TCR Zero (that gun metal black one) the assesories is so much better. Carbon seat post etc. But as we all know, buy the one you like , because you dont want to spend that much money and don't want to ride it. I've got no problems with my c/d and it is a very good bike. So.Buy the one you like.

I also love my C'dale. Very smooth ride and other people know you are riding quality. Ff I had to wait for the 2003 models I would get the new Giant. They've done alot of inprovement and I'm sure it will be cheaper then C'dales. But hen again it's only a Giant. Look at the '03 Trek aswell. The 2000 (model, not year) looks pretty spunky.

My next bike will probably be a Cannondale. Tell me, why the big price difference between the Caad4 and 5?<br /><br />As far as I can tell the C5 has a integrated headset and is marginaly lighter. Quotes I got was 6650 for the C4 frame and 9850 for the C5 frame. Shops also like to say &quot;it's much stiffer&quot; Is that so or would that be you typical sales talk?

I'm in the US (St Louis). The local bike shop specializes in C'dales and Bianchi. Definitely probably going for it... If anyone has any advice, would love it.

One other thing... Although this is primarily a road racing bike, I'm probably using it for touring next summer (possible cross country trip). Will I have to do much to change it from a performance bike into a touring bike?

I wouldn't get a bike if the difference is a intergrated head tube. I don't like it. I like cups and other parts that can get some play and start wearing out to be replaceble. sure you save about 100g if you fit a Record Hiddenset instead of the normal cup version but when it comes to 3-4k, it's not worth it. My C4 with 105 and alot of other cheap parts (including 2ton Exus pedals) only weighs 8.2kg. Yeah, yeah, you do get ligher but I'm not willing to part with my money for a few grams. At this stage my bike already costs more then my car.<br /><br />My advice, get the C4, yoy won't regret it.

Mampara..and nwbker bought the CAAD5 R600. Looking spiff bru. I'm jealous, love the wheels as well.

[quote author=NwBker link=board=20;threadid=2526;start=0#21752 date=1035166429]<br />One other thing... Although this is primarily a road racing bike, I'm probably using it for touring next summer (possible cross country trip). Will I have to do much to change it from a performance bike into a touring bike?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Nope. All you need to do is ride it as much as possible to get used to it. What seat you have?

A Selle Royal Wing. It actually hasn't been a problem yet, I have a good pair of bike shorts... But I also haven't riden on it for 10 hours straight yet :)<br /><br />NwBker

Selle Royal Wing? Can't say I've seen one?<br />The saddle shouldn't be too soft. After 4 hrs it will feel asif you're sitting on burning embers.