General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Getting a prep cook job just for some experience

Started by Adam Preble · · Last activity · 2 posts · 265 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 April 2005
Last activity
21 April 2005
Original author
Adam Preble
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
265
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [Cross-posting from alt.cooking-chat from two days ago since I didn't
    get a response]

    I was thinking about getting a part-time cooking job for the weekends
    and some evenings, in order to learn a little bit and generally speed up
    how I cook. I'm curious how likely it is to find something like that in
    a city--without having to start out as a dishwasher or something else. I
    am fairly certain I will have no luck at large, well-known places, but
    I'm curious what kind of restaurants I could try for. Is this something
    that is destined to end in tears?

  2. Prep cooks usually go in early and get things ready, so I'm not sure
    about being a prep-cook in the evening. You could be a line cook.

    I had a roommate that was a prep cook at a decent place. She went in
    very early, and started prepping for that day's recipes. She learned
    quite a bit, and seemed to like the job. She did not have to start as a
    dishwasher. I'd advise trying to get a job at the best place you can.
    The menu varies more at such places, and they usually have interesting
    menu items and ingredients. Prep cooks do not make a whole lot of
    money, but that doesn't sound like it matters to you.

    Dean G.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.