getting a rack on a Felt F90 with no eyelets

beaglepgh

Aug 4, 2006
Newbie here, so please make allowances if I am violating some kind of protocol with this post. But does anybody have any ideas about how to get a rack on a Felt F90 road bike. I commute to work and carry light pack but I would prefer to attach it to the bike so that I don't end up with a sweaty back. My bike has no eyelets for a rack and I tried a topeak seatpost rack but my legs kept banging into the clasp/quick release. Any suggestions on how to get a real rack onto a bike with no eyelets?

Thanks

Beaglepgh

As far as eyelets on the seatstays go, you can get little clamps that go around the stays to give you a place to secure the upper part of the rack.

You would still need a hole down near the rear dropouts for the lower part of the rack to be secured, though.

Thanks Rek: I didn't think about the issue of attaching the bottom portion of the rack. I wouldn't be surprised if it lacks those holes since the bike was obviously not designed for a rack. Methinks I may have chosen the wrong bike for commuting. But otherwise its a lot of fun to ride.

Beagle PGH

beaglepgh said:
Newbie here, so please make allowances if I am violating some kind of protocol with this post. But does anybody have any ideas about how to get a rack on a Felt F90 road bike. I commute to work and carry light pack but I would prefer to attach it to the bike so that I don't end up with a sweaty back. My bike has no eyelets for a rack and I tried a topeak seatpost rack but my legs kept banging into the clasp/quick release. Any suggestions on how to get a real rack onto a bike with no eyelets?

Thanks

Beaglepgh
There is rack that attaches to the rear hub skewer, and does not require dropout eyelets. Pricey though, but in the same ball park as other high quality touring racks. Most of the $29 models aren't really very sturdy.

http://www.touringcyclist.com/gear/model_16559.html

My LBS sells a rack with hook type brackets that go inside the V-brakes, and double clamps for the seat stays, they also fit them to disc brake bikes.

beaglepgh said:

Thanks

Beaglepgh
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=details&sku=RK0121
for a mounting hardware set from Surly.
Blackburn had some rubbber cushioned clamps that work on seat stays and chain stays. They work OK, but it is nearly impossible to keep them from scratching the paint in the clamping area.
I saw someone who drilled an tapped threads in the dropouts for lower rack mounting and attached the upper rack mount to the brake bolt. Something like that works OK if the load is not to heavy.

There also racks that are manufactured to clamp onto the seatpost, though there load capacity is less than that of a regular rack (or so the manufacturers tell us). They also lack the side supports for panniers.