Getting a Single speed.. recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Joseph Jozwik, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another bike. I want
    to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had this
    bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    bike.
    > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    I like my Surly 1x1. It wasn't too expensive and it rides very nicely. Steel bikes are all the rage
    these days, too!

    Matt

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    bike.
    > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    No, get this, its much better than the 1FG:

    http://www.bianchiusa.com/sass.html

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    bike.
    > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time

    I would not suggest a Cannonfail. Steel is the way to go here. I would look at the Surly, or Bianchi
    like Carla, and Matt suggested, because if/when (more like when) I take the plunge, this is the
    direction I will go, as these two bikes have been highly recommended by people that have more than
    just a clue.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    bike.
    > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    There are new styles of single speeds out now where instead of one cog in the back, they cluster up
    to nine. Really enterprising manufacturers also include three chainring options on the cranks...and
    you can switch between all 27 gears (That's right! 27! Amazing!) while pedaling...it's awesome what
    they're doing with bikes these days.

    The gears can go easier for climbing, smaller for downhills and flats...it makes one gear look
    like 1953.

    Chris (Decided to fly the anti-Wheeler flag, just this once)

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  7. Hi Carla, I am checking the SASS out. Question.. are the steel bike high in weight? Is this the bike
    you have? If so how much does it weigh? Thanks Joe

    > "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    > bike.
    > > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has
    > > had this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe
    >
    > No, get this, its much better than the 1FG:
    >
    > http://www.bianchiusa.com/sass.html
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > these two bikes have been highly recommended by people that have more
    than
    > > just a clue.
    > >

    > AND by me!

    You're one of the guys I consider to have a clue. I'm not even finished with my geared bike
    (almost though! last bits are on the way.), but I've been looking at the Surly, and Bianchi sites
    an awful lot.

  9. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:34:56 -0600, Mojo Deluxe wrote:
    > "MattB" wrote:

    >> <snip>
    >> > these two bikes have been highly recommended by people that have more than just a clue.
    >>
    >> AND by me!
    >>
    > You're one of the guys I consider to have a clue.

    ...he writes, as a joke swooshes right past his head...

    (well, *I* thought it was funny!)

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
    doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mojo Deluxe wrote:

    > You're one of the guys I consider to have a clue. I'm not even finished with my geared bike
    > (almost though! last bits are on the way.)

    Of course they are. How long has your bike been 'nearly finished'?

  11. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:34:56 -0600, Mojo Deluxe wrote:
    > > "MattB" wrote:
    >
    > >> <snip>
    > >>
    > >> AND by me!
    > >>
    > > You're one of the guys I consider to have a clue.
    >
    > ...he writes, as a joke swooshes right past his head...

    Nah, I got it. Perhaps mehbe I should have replied, "You ARE one of the guys I consider to
    have a clue".

  12. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Joseph Jozwik wrote:

    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another bike. I
    > want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    Build your own from a good steel frame, and pay about twice what you would

    for a Surly or Bianchi. But you'll get *exactly* what you want, and there

    won't be another out there like it. If I had to do it all over, though,

    I'd go Surly, Bianchi or Redline. But I don't regret converting over and old

    Bridgestone MB-4.

    Paladin keeping my parts purchases secret from the boss....

  14. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mojo Deluxe wrote:
    >
    > > You're one of the guys I consider to have a clue. I'm not even finished
    with
    > > my geared bike (almost though! last bits are on the way.)
    >
    > Of course they are. How long has your bike been 'nearly finished'?

    About a month. It was only lacking the brakes. They are now ordered, and on the way.

    http://bellsouthpwp.net/v/o/voodeaux/Almost.jpg

    It's surely been a work in progress, with the frame taking seven weeks, then slowly piece it
    together as my bank account allowed. 'Patience is a virtue', and 'good things come to those who
    wait', and all that good shit. My goal was by the end of the year. Looks like I surpassed it.

  15. Thanks for all the help on this.. I am not sure what I am going to get yet but I will let you know
    and send pictures of the first crash :)

    Joe

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another
    bike.
    > I want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another bike. I
    > want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    Surly 1x1. Forget the crapandflail.

    JD

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  18. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another bike. I
    > want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    Go to a 12 step program for weight weenie dorks.

    Then write down the geometry and dimensions on your favorite geared mtb, and spend a week going to
    different bike shops. Try on bikes that are a tiny bit smaller overall, because you'll learn to like
    wider handlebars. If it comes down to it, when chosing a stem, go for a shorter stem and a longer
    top tube. Get a rigid fork if you still care about weight, (or if you are a real man and want the
    "whole experience") but if you need to get a fork, get one with lockout, 'cuz the great climbing
    that comes from riding a singlespeed is a whole body thing.

  19. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:20:34 -0600, Mojo Deluxe wrote:
    >
    > >> Of course they are. How long has your bike been 'nearly finished'?
    > >>
    > > About a month. It was only lacking the brakes. They are now ordered, and
    on
    > > the way.
    > >
    > > http://bellsouthpwp.net/v/o/voodeaux/Almost.jpg
    >
    > Nice - you won't lose that in the dark...

    Thanks. I love that green paint.

  20. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:27:14 -0500, Joseph Jozwik <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hello Everyone, I was getting ready for Christmas and decided it's time to get another bike. I
    > want to get a single speed. I was checking out the C'dale 1FG ultra. wondering if anyone has had
    > this bike or any recommendations? Thank You For Your Time Joe

    Surly 1x1, there is no substitue.