getting a sprocket off....

Gary Knighton wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:27:18 +0100, contributor Mike K Smith had scribed:
> > Having damaged a vice that way, I would use a ring spanner with a 4' pipe slipped over the
> > handle. Get a second person to hold the wheel while you apply leverage to the pipe.
> >

> You didn't specific the type of pipe, presumably you are referring to scaffolding tube as
> something like plumbers' copper pipe will just bend.
You are right, it was scaffolding tube which did the trick. I'm sure you're right about the copper
pipe bending. The clothes pole certainly did when I tried it. Luckily it was an old one I used,
rather than borrowing the one holding up my mother's washing line.

Mike

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:02:39 +0100, contributor Mike K Smith had scribed:
> The clothes pole certainly did when I tried it. Luckily it was an old one I used, rather than
> borrowing the one holding up my mother's washing line.

Visions here of a ring spanner being stuck in the top of clothes post attached to a wheel and
cyclists jerking on the wheel. ;-)

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:41:10 +0100, contributor Clive George had scribed:
> You may wish to rephrase that : it is definitely likely to be more difficult to remove, having
> twice the tightening torque n'all. Ours were certainly jolly hard to get off! However it is
> certainly possible for a solo freewheel to be harder. (hmm - do tandems get more maintenance so
> less likely to have corroded on problems? I wonder how the distribution of amount of maintenance
> compares.

In terms of use and maintenance one may not be comparing like for like. It is possible that the
average tandem get less use and more maintenance than the average solo.

> and yes, some sort of cassette freehub is far superior. Which is one reason why we have them :)

I'll second that, having effortless replaced a cassette and with slightly more effort replaced a
freehub with axle, but nowhere near as much as a freewheel.

Gary