Getting anti puncture sealant into Presta valve inner tubes - How?

Peter Richards

Guest
As I absolutely hate fixing punctures anyone car to comment on the following.

Has anyone tried using a small syringe with needle to inject an inner tube with anti puncture
sealant into Presta type tubes with success. Also anyone care to comment on any anti puncture
sealant they have previously used and if it would by thin enough to inject using a syringe assuming
it can be done.

Thanks for any comments

regards

PR

In article <[email protected]>, "Peter Richards" <[email protected]> writes:

>As I absolutely hate fixing punctures anyone car to comment on the following.
>
>Has anyone tried using a small syringe with needle to inject an inner tube with anti puncture
>sealant into Presta type tubes with success. Also anyone care to comment on any anti puncture
>sealant they have previously used and if it would by thin enough to inject using a syringe assuming
>it can be done.

It is NOT thin enough to inject using a syringe. I found it to be entirely too thick to force
through a schrader valve with the core removed. So, after many frustrating tries to clear the valve,
I cut a hole in the tube and shoved the applicator tip in through the cut and . . . . bliss, it
worked. I recomend doing the same for a presta valved tube.

The sealant I was using is "Slime" and has fibers in it that made it impossible to get in through
the schrader valve (let alone using a syringe).

I had to make a very fine hook to remove the fibers that were caught in the valve.

It does work, my daughter bicycle commutes through puncture vine alley. If she comes out to her bike
after work and finds a flat tire she merely pumps the tre up and rides it home. That is usually
enough to seal the tube.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

>From: "Peter Richards"

>Has anyone tried using a small syringe with needle to inject an inner tube with anti puncture
>sealant into Presta type...

Rather than put up with the frustration of trying to inject your tubes, why not just buy Slime tubes
and be done with it?

Sig Chicago

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TBGibb) writes:

> So, after many frustrating tries to clear the valve, I cut a hole in the tube and shoved the
> applicator tip in through the cut and . . . . bliss, it worked. I recomend doing the same for a
> presta valved tube.

Ooops, I forgot to mention I put a conventional patch on the hole I made. ;-)

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

Ahh, so it can be done!

I would buy the already filled Slime tubes as someone in this thread has suggested but I have a
number of bikes to do all with normal conventional inner tubes so am reluctant to swap tubes when
there are nothing wrong with existing tubes - not good for the environment in general.

Anyhow, many thanks for your trouble in guidance will now have a go.

TBGibb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20030330155150.29820.00001636@mb- fi.aol.com...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TBGibb) writes:
>
> > So, after many frustrating tries to clear the valve, I cut a hole in the tube and shoved
the
> >applicator tip in through the cut and . . . . bliss, it worked. I
recomend
> >doing the same for a presta valved tube.
>
> Ooops, I forgot to mention I put a conventional patch on the hole I made.
;-)