Getting back in Shape

Shep

May 9, 2011
Hey there! I live in the greater Toronto area and just got a new job that is close enough to my residence that it would be worth considering cycling to work during the warmer months to save a little money instead of using transit.

I should note that I’m definitely not in the best shape, and already have a very large frame. So with my body size and the extra padding it certainly adds up to a significant amount of weight. So originally I was a little concerned about biking in fear that I would actually break the bike, but a friend convinced me that this would not be a problem and allowed me to borrow his spare so that I could try it out. Since it was 15 years since I had been on a bike I didn’t expect much, but I ended up having a really good time!

The first night I had it I remembered what a great workout it was but was a little concerned about my body’s ability to keep up with it, so over the weekend I decided to go out for a very simple 3 mile ride around my neighborhood to see how far I could go. 3 miles quickly turned into 5, which then lead to “I better get home or the spouse is going to wonder if I fell and killed myself”. Later on that same day, despite a sore posterior from the bike seat, I was itching to get back out and keep peddling.

Finally! Some exercise that isn’t ridiculously boring and doesn’t make me feel like a hamster in a wheel like every cardio machine at the gym! I think it’s only going to be about a week or so before I finally break down and get my own bike.

Anyway, getting to the point. I just got into my 30s, I’m a big guys, and while I can’t change the age, I can at least change the weight. So I’m looking for some advice. Firstly I need a seat that will not dissuade me from riding because it leaves me with the aforementioned problem of a sore posterior. Also, any advice on using a bike to get back in shape. Finally, any recommendations for what I should look for in a bike would be great!

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]HI, Shep, and welcome to the forums![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Congratulations on deciding to get healthier -- and you've chosen the smart way to do it! Almost any exercise will help overweight people lose weight and get fit, but some of those are really hard on the joints. So cycling is the perfect exercise for us, because it doesn't put weight on the knees and ankles, and it's so much fun we tend to keep it up instead of giving up. (I'm speaking from experience. I've lost 50 pounds so far, by biking and eating healthier). And it was an MD specializing in weight problems who suggested cycling for his patients and me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Getting the right bike for you should probably be your first step, because even if you have a good seat for you, if the bike doesn't fit you right, you'll still be uncomfortable. You will probably get all kinds of advice from the helpful guys on this forum about which particular bike to get. (I, too, was afraid of breaking a bike.) I'm not 'techy' enough to discuss a lot of what they will tell you. But what they taught ME, when I first started here months ago, was that for overweight people you want to avoid a carbon frame on the bike, because carbon is brittle and can buckle/shatter. So you want aluminum or steel. You also want wheels that have a higher number of spokes, because they support the weight. It was suggested that I get wheels with at least 34 spokes, and that 36 or up would be better. (That's not hard to find.) [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]At your age, your joints may not bother you as much as they do at my age (just turned 60). For me, a road bike wouldn't work because it puts too much weight on my wrists when the handlebars are low. If that could be a problem for you, you may want to consider a hybrid bike so the bars are higher in relation to the seat. For me, that's much more comfortable. But you can try friends' bikes, or rent some, before you buy to see what type you prefer. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Finding the right seat (they call it a saddle here) can be a very lengthy process. When you buy one, make sure the shop will let you bring it back and exchange it for another until you find the right one for you. Most good shops will do that; I've just done it at REI here. And what you need in the seat area is so individual that it's very hard to even make suggestions. Some swear by Brooks seats, but they're very pricy. Some prefer gel seats, some don't. It really is up to your 'bottom.' So be prepared to just keep looking until you get one that you can ride for miles and miles with no problem. (Also, for new bikers part of it is just allowing your bottom to get used to it, developing 'callouses' in the right places.)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]As far as the exercise part, just get on the bike and ride, every day, with one day off a week to let your muscles recover. Don't worry about speed until you get back in better shape. As you do, the speed comes naturally. My first day biking last Fall, I barely made it a mile at 9 mph, and thought I would die. I can now do 15-20 miles at 12-13 mph fairly easily, and did my first 30-mile ride last week (though the last few nearly killed me, lol). Try to increase the distance you go by about 10% per week. If you make jumps in distance too far too fast, your joints and muscles will not be happy with you. It's normal to be tired and a little achy afterward; but if you can't walk the next day, you've gone too far. And if you do a long hard ride, the next day do a shorter, easy ride to get the lactic acid and toxins out of your muscles and warm them back up gently.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Well, that's what they've taught ME here, so far. I'm excited for you, because finding this exercise that I love has totally changed my life in a lot of ways -- and probably extended it, too! Keep us posted on your progress. We'll look forward to hearing from you.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Happy pedaling![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reactions: IronGirl2011
Welcome aboard, Shep!

"Finally! Some exercise that isn’t ridiculously boring and doesn’t make me feel like a hamster in a wheel like every cardio machine at the gym! "

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif That's a very apt analogy of in-door cardio training...

Cycling is a great way to improve your health and have fun doing it. And it's always fun shopping for a new bike.

Take your time in deciding what bike to purchase; visit as many bike shops and test ride as many bikes as you can. Find the right type of bike for you, the right size bike for you, and find the best shop to buy it from. Having a bike shop you can go to with people you can trust will be very helpful to you over the years.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the support! Unfortunately my job can be a little demanding at times so it's going to be hard to get out every day, but I'm certainly going to try and get out when I can. I'll keep posting updates on my progress as I can.

I'm actually hoping to get out to the bike shop this weekend to speak with the guys there, find the bike that's right for me and hopefully pick one up :)

Originally Posted by Shep .

... Unfortunately my job can be a little demanding at times so it's going to be hard to get out every day, but I'm certainly going to try and get out when I can. ..

I run my own business so frequently clock up 70+ hours of work a week. I find whenever I can helps me destress and keeps my enrgy levels high.
If you can comute on your bike this is great as you are replaceing dead time in the car with great time on your bike.
Most of my world domination strategic planning is done on a bike.