Getting back into biking - where to find gloves?

After 15 years I'm getting back into bicycling on my old Miyata. I've got
new tires and tubes, new brake pads and brake handle covers ordered.
Found black cotton handlebar tape too.

Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
Anyone have a source?

:
: Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
: leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
: cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
: Anyone have a source?

Wal-Mart or any of the cheap "sporting goods" stores will have them.
Although why on earth you would want black cotton handlebar tape, I have no
idea. There has been progress in the last 15 years. I suspect you'll find
that out by yourself in a while, though.

Pat in TX
:

[email protected] wrote:
> After 15 years I'm getting back into bicycling on my old Miyata. I've got
> new tires and tubes, new brake pads and brake handle covers ordered.
> Found black cotton handlebar tape too.
>
> Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
> leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
> cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
> Anyone have a source?

www.rapha.cc
I don't think they are cheap and I don't like the style that much, but
could be what you are looking for...

[email protected] wrote:
..
> Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
> leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
> cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
> Anyone have a source?

I really hate to post this but believe it or not Nashbar sells a nice
traditional glove and cheaply too.
Phil Brown

Re 'progress'; BS!

news:[email protected]...

Booker C. Bense wrote:

> _ You want these
>
> http://www.lickbike.com/searchsite.asp?SEARCH=push+glove
>
> _ Dirt cheap and while not indestructible, they have some nice
> design tweaks that make them superiour to any other
> leather/crochet glove I've found.

the black crochet pair (med. dark leather) I have has a subtle terry
strip near the thumb that is easier on the nose than crochet ever
was... Don't know if they are made in white. Well, not as bad as dark
socks.

My faves were Pearl Izumi Gel, not too much (Spenco), a lot more
vibration protection than seems available in what I've seen over the
last several years. Any substitutes out there? --TP

[email protected] wrote:
> After 15 years I'm getting back into bicycling on my old Miyata. I've got
> new tires and tubes, new brake pads and brake handle covers ordered.
> Found black cotton handlebar tape too.
>
> Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
> leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
> cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
> Anyone have a source?

Yep, us. Made by EuraAsia, cotton crocheted back, black or 'natural',
real leather plams-$20 per

Vecchio's
303-440-3535

Quoting <[email protected]>:
>Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
>leather with a crocheted cotton back.

Rivendell Bicycle Works sell summer gloves made of bona-fide cow.
Today is Second Monday, Presuary.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:34:56 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>

>> Although why on earth you would want black cotton handlebar tape, I have
>> no
>> idea. There has been progress in the last 15 years. I suspect you'll find
>> that out by yourself in a while, though.
>>
>> Pat in TX
>> :
>>

>Re 'progress'; BS!

I suspect that the comments about black cotton tape may have been
driven by the speed with which such covering self-destructs in the
Texas climate. It's okay if it holds up in your area, but around here
it's not even good for one season in my experience. At least it
doesn't show the sweat accumulation the way a light color does.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:33:22 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>After 15 years I'm getting back into bicycling on my old Miyata. I've got
>new tires and tubes, new brake pads and brake handle covers ordered.
>Found black cotton handlebar tape too.
>
>Now I just need to find a source for regular half-finger gloves made of
>leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
>cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
>Anyone have a source?

I'm liking the Nashbar gloves - dirt cheap, decent leather and padding on the
palm and classic knit back. There is a terry thumb patch, oh dear. It really
doesn't hurt anything.

They're like two bucks more than the **** walmart glove and about nine times
better.

Ron

Pat wrote:

> : Now I just need to find a source for re gular half-finger gloves made of
> : leather with a crocheted cotton back. No lycra, no gel, no foam, no terry
> : cloth. Cannondale apparently no longer makes the ones I used to buy.
> : Anyone have a source?

I really wish Cannondale still made those gloves. However, I recall
them as being padded. You will have a hard time getting gloves with no
padding at all, except on eBay or maybe in Japan. I wish manufacturers
still made them with an adjustable snap closure, not with velcro.

These say "padded" but they don't look it. Only in small:
http://tinyurl.com/d3ar7

Apart from the other American sources (Nashbar, Lickbike, Rivendell,
some others), these may not be exactly what you want but perhaps

http://tinyurl.com/a4svj (scroll down)
http://tinyurl.com/94jm6

Note that in the UK these are traditionally referred to as mitts, not
gloves. And the crochet ones are often referred to as string mitts.
Also track mitts..

Rapha -- an english company; the advertise on procycling.com all the
time -- make beautiful retro leather gloves. With little round knuckle
vents, very old-school. I think the site is rapha.co.uk but google
them.--Shayana Kadidal