Getting back into biking...

Hi there: was really encouraged when I read your thread on the board...I've only just started again...and only did 7 miles today in thick fog over here (only very quiet side streets and one of the many purpose built tracks around the town). My legs are like jello for a while when I get off!..but I know as time goes by, I will go further and further..and my weight will get under control (watching what I eat also). My bike is very basic hybrid..about $250 I think, but as time goes by will change it up.

Not sure what part of the US you are in but like you the winter is coming on and I'll obviously have to watch ice/snow and the short days. luckily I work part time and most of my shifts start at about 4/5pm, so can easily fit a few rides a week in in daylight.

Must admit I feel great and my mental state is improved: bit of a long story but have battled a few health issues including depression for years..and I know how much exercise helps especially with that..though Ironically, somedays that dosent help if I was to talk mysel;f into not going out. Part of the reason I went out today infact-it was a really **** day out there: thick fog all day and about 35f..but I made myself and I am so glad that I did....

Thanks so much for your message...sounds like you are doing really well (though you sound like you are spending serious bucks on bikes/equipment!)

keep in touch if you like...actually thats true of anyone who reads this.

Paul
[email protected]

Paul, hi there. It sure helps with health issues and raises the spirits as well. I just decided I wasn't sitting out winter in a chair in front of the fireplace. Bucks, yeah, but I view it as an investment in my health. I'm learning that proper clothing, especially the base layer, is critical for cold weather cycling. All of my summer gear is too cold even with many layers including fleece. I went out and bought some UnderArmour HeatGear the other day, their heaviest winter thermal line, and it was still not enough. At the advice of a relative who is a professional fishing guide in N. Michigan, I order a complete outfit of Columbia brand Omni-Heat, including boots and gloves. This line has a conductive metal heating mesh and replaceable battery packs. My relative says it's the best thermal gear he has ever found. True story, I've gotten to know the manager of the local bike shop really well, when I told him I was interested in the Surly, I asked him how long they would hold it for me -- shortly before Christmas I get an annual bonus based on billings, and those were great this year. So, I guess I can justify it to the family out of that. But I did have to tell the shop manager that if I brought it home right now, there weren't enough adjectives in English to stick I front of the phrase "dead man" to describe my potential fate. He just laughed and said they could hold it as long as I wanted. The fam thinks I've gone a little overboard, especially with the Garmin GPS, but it really helps, before I got it, I was lost at night several times in large subdivisions going around in circles, having to navigate out by the positions of the stars on the horizon to guess direction.

Paul, I too have recently got back on the bike after a 20 yr lay off. I was "inspired" after suffering a heart attack.
You have to remember that you are not in competition with anyone, so don't worry about what kind of bike you have, how fast you can go, what you look like, yada, yada.
You are riding for you and you alone, If you are comfortable just riding short little trips around the block, then do short little trips around the block. When you are 100% comfortable adding more distance or pace do it. I started off doing 5 miles around our development, and am now riding about 80 miles a week, and hoping to ride in RAGBRAI this summer.

Hi Ed. good afternoon from a wet and wild England :). thanks for your input here..I agree its not a race and I'm just doing this for myself. I was pleasantly suprised though that got to nearly 7 miles a few days ago..and later this week when this weather system clears through, will go and do up to 10. it is very early days, but I figure as you say you just build up and as time goes on I will get up to 15/20 miles a trip.

have a good day

Paul, I sounded like you had to really push yourself. Sorry about that, not true. First of all, it should be fun. If it becomes a chore or unpleasant, no one would stick with it. I think everyone should do it at their own pace, in their own way, and at whatever pace and distance feels right for them. Now, the big question, cold, gray, windy here today, and it gets dark by six pm - should I ride tonight? ABSOLUTELY! I had a good time last night, did a quick ten around dusk, and really enjoyed seeing all of the holiday lights in people's yards. Danny

Originally Posted by Paul Delaney .

I need to cut the **** out my diet too...and have been doing that a while now..but am still eating proper meals and no stupid faddy diets: I've just cut out all the potato chips and candy..and bread and white potatoes. I know its a bad time of year to alter a diet with only a few weeks to Christmas but I figure if I can start now, I am ahead of myself :)
If it seems like a lot, just think about getting consistent rides on the bike a few times a week and target the diet later. As you get fitter and stronger riding will come easier (if you've had a substantial layoff big changes will start happening in just a couple weeks). While it's ok to make changes across the board and some folks do succeed with a 100% clean slate plan, others may find it easier to introduce one change at a time until it "takes". Good luck.

Hi...yep I get that. I find the two go together though-its like an incentive to get on and do it. As I have cut the snack junk food out my diet (basically all the stuff that most of us 'graze' on between meals) and just eat proper meals, and increase my calorie burn doing something I LIKE doing (as opposed to being 'compelled' to do..which for me was the gym and listening to that 'inspirational' music that usually pounds out...sorry but most of that stuff is brainwashing dance ****)..then the weight naturally reduces and equalises over a period of time. I think its too easy to fall into the trap of exercising a bit more but then either carrying on with the junk or even eating that extra cookie or Snickers bar...its all about balance for me and I'd like to find just the right amount of an exercise I like doing and eating the proper food with the occasional bit of junk :)

Paul Delaney said:
Hi...yep I get that. I find the two go together though-its like an incentive to get on and do it. As I have cut the snack junk food out my diet (basically all the stuff that most of us 'graze' on between meals) and just eat proper meals, and increase my calorie burn doing something I LIKE doing (as opposed to being 'compelled' to do..which for me was the gym and listening to that 'inspirational' music that usually pounds out...sorry but most of that stuff is brainwashing dance ****)..then the weight naturally reduces and equalises over a period of time.  I think its too easy to fall into the trap of exercising a bit more but then either carrying on with the junk or even eating that extra cookie or Snickers bar...its all about balance for me and I'd like to find just the right amount of an exercise I like doing and eating the proper food with the occasional bit of junk :) 
That's a pretty good synopsis of what you need to do.

Hi all...

Been a few days since I posted anything on here: well, despite being hard to start with, I can't believe how much better I feel in little over a week: I kind of pushed myself today and got to just over 15 miles..its been a beautiful cold crisp partly sunny day here (only about 32/34f outside and very little wind)...also, I'm not at work till 6pm so I thought why waste the opportunity of a nice day like this. Am eating proper meals, and have cut all the bad stuff out my diet..I feel trully amazing..though my legs ache today!

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who has encouraged me in diffrent ways via this message board..even the 'tough love' is much appreciated.

Have a good weekend all

Paul :)

Hey, Paul, that's fantastic. Way to go man! Kind of mirrors my own experiences. Mild over the counter pain killers like aspirin or ibuprofen, if available in a Britain, will help some with the pain. Mostly it is a matter of conditioning, and you will get there. Danny

Actually, we have a warm front coming through today, our temps for the next 4 days will be 50's and low 60's, which I think is in the teens in Celcius. I'm planning on riding as much as possible. Middle of next week, it's going to be our first real snow, so I should be able to try out my skis and snowshoes. The Surly bike, well, I have a few more weeks before it's "safe" to bring home, LOL. Danny