Getting back into cycling and shopping for a new bike!

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by MountainCruiser, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser New Member

After many years of not riding I picked up a hybrid bike a few months ago and I am really enjoying riding again. My rides have gotten progressively longer and I have decided to pick up a road bike so that I can ride with some of the groups in my area. My main goal is fitness, I don't expect to be doing any racing but who knows what might happen, a few months ago I wouldn't have thought that I would be getting a road bike.

I have looked around at all of my local bike shops. My closest LBS carries Giant but I have been less than thrilled with the customer service there, I have also heard the same from other people so I have ruled out Giant. The other brands that I have available locally are Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Orbea, Felt and Cannondale.

I have decided that I want an aluminum framed bike with at least 105 componetry. I have around $1500 to put into the bike and equipment. I have found a couple of NOS Felt bikes that seem to offer the most bang for the buck. There is a F60 and an F65. Both bikes have carbon forks and carbon seatstays. The F65 has a triple crank and a mix of 105 and Ultegra and has Alex rims for $1149. The F60 has a carbon compact crank full Ultegra and Shimano rims for $1299.

Felt seems to have a good reputation but I don't personally know anyone who owns one. I have seen some complaints about the Alex rims. If anyone has any feedback I would greatly appreciate it. I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the F60. The F65 would leave me some extra cash available to pick up some more accessories.

Tags:

2. MountainCruiser

Wow! 147 views and not a comment yet. I hope that means that no one has had any bad experiences with Felt bikes, I'll be going to pick mine up in just a few hours.

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

It might be worth seeing if you can take a few for a test ride, you have a lot of options in the price range. Felt are def good bikes :cool:

4. MountainCruiser

I have done some short test rides. I'm going to take my pedals and shoes and test out a couple of different bikes back to back just to be sure. If I buy from this shop my choices will be one of the Felts or a Trek 2.1.

5. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Felts are good bikes. I don't think that you will be disappointed. Trek is a good bike too, but the company has been so successful in their marketing that it seems as if every third bike out there is a Trek(at least in my area).

For future reference, a lot of the forum members just scan the posts but don't contribute for whatever reason, and a lot of the others are a bit busy riding this time of year. It usually takes a little while to get an answer during the Northern Hemisphere summer.

6. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

Have you heard bad things about Giant (the company) or about the dealer in your area? Big difference.

Reason I ask is because I am probably going out and buying a Giant Defy 1 today that I saw yesterday and fell in love with.

I'm not trying to up-sell you on a Giant, but from your description, a Giant Defy 1 may be your ticket. Also look into the Cannondale Synapse.