getting back into it

kiversen

Guest
Hi there,
so after a year of being out of running due to my back (and im only 20)
i ahve begun to start running again. i only managed it once last week.
but am going to get into 3 times a week, and eventually every other day
like i used to do, and maybe if possible every day. any tips or helpful
comments on how best to do this? i dont remember how i got to run as
much as i did before. i started out pretty young (12 yrs) so its all a
bit blurry lol
Kirsten

Walk and jog 20 minutes a day, five days a week.
Sometime between 2-8 weeks you should be able
to complete the full 20 minutes running. Then you might
consider running a little more.
Be sure to have some running shoes or you might get sore
again.

On 13 Mar 2006 17:51:01 -0800, "kiversen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi there,
>so after a year of being out of running due to my back (and im only 20)
>i ahve begun to start running again. i only managed it once last week.
>but am going to get into 3 times a week, and eventually every other day
>like i used to do, and maybe if possible every day. any tips or helpful
>comments on how best to do this? i dont remember how i got to run as
>much as i did before. i started out pretty young (12 yrs) so its all a
>bit blurry lol
>Kirsten

Suicide, it's the only way.

Slowly. Seriously, most people feel they have to run quickly,
and what you need right now is lots of slow, slow base miles.
You should always be able to talk to someone running next to
you. Start with a doable distance, and only add 10% a week or
so. Don't even think about speed until you have several months
of base mileage. Just go out and enjoy, BUT SLOWLY. Make sure
you have good shoes, of the right type for YOUR feet (a running
specialty shop can help here), read some of the many books
that give help on proper running form, to help avoid injury.

I'm sure others will have even more great ideas. Ignore the trolls.

Teresa in AZ

rick++ wrote:
> Walk and jog 20 minutes a day, five days a week.
> Sometime between 2-8 weeks you should be able
> to complete the full 20 minutes running. Then you might
> consider running a little more.
> Be sure to have some running shoes or you might get sore
> again.

jumping from one day a week to 5days a week is likely too big a jump.

Kirsten ,
your plan sounds okay. going 3days per week initially is fine. And as
tersa said, start slow. You should be able to talk while you run. Go by
the amount of time running starting at 10minutes if you are really out
of shape, ignore distance for now. Keep the same time until you can run
the entire interval. Build the time up until you are running 30minutes
each run (90minutes total per week).

once you get to 3days per week, 30minutes each, then you can start
adding days, adding time.

Rick makes a good point on the running shoes. Don't wait too long to
get a pair. Go to a running shoe store (not a mall store like
footlocker).

Check back as you make progress. you can also check out this site
which also has the rec.running FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

And remember, enjoy the run,
Ed

She's 20. At that age, you can basically abuse your body to no end.

news:[email protected]...