getting back into it

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by kiversen, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. kiversen

    kiversen Guest

    Hi there,
    so after a year of being out of running due to my back (and im only 20)
    i ahve begun to start running again. i only managed it once last week.
    but am going to get into 3 times a week, and eventually every other day
    like i used to do, and maybe if possible every day. any tips or helpful
    comments on how best to do this? i dont remember how i got to run as
    much as i did before. i started out pretty young (12 yrs) so its all a
    bit blurry lol
    Kirsten

    Tags:

  2. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    Walk and jog 20 minutes a day, five days a week.
    Sometime between 2-8 weeks you should be able
    to complete the full 20 minutes running. Then you might
    consider running a little more.
    Be sure to have some running shoes or you might get sore
    again.

  3. On 13 Mar 2006 17:51:01 -0800, "kiversen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >so after a year of being out of running due to my back (and im only 20)
    >i ahve begun to start running again. i only managed it once last week.
    >but am going to get into 3 times a week, and eventually every other day
    >like i used to do, and maybe if possible every day. any tips or helpful
    >comments on how best to do this? i dont remember how i got to run as
    >much as i did before. i started out pretty young (12 yrs) so its all a
    >bit blurry lol
    >Kirsten

    Suicide, it's the only way.

  4. Slowly. Seriously, most people feel they have to run quickly,
    and what you need right now is lots of slow, slow base miles.
    You should always be able to talk to someone running next to
    you. Start with a doable distance, and only add 10% a week or
    so. Don't even think about speed until you have several months
    of base mileage. Just go out and enjoy, BUT SLOWLY. Make sure
    you have good shoes, of the right type for YOUR feet (a running
    specialty shop can help here), read some of the many books
    that give help on proper running form, to help avoid injury.

    I'm sure others will have even more great ideas. Ignore the trolls.

    Teresa in AZ

    kiversen wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > so after a year of being out of running due to my back (and im only 20)
    > i ahve begun to start running again. i only managed it once last week.
    > but am going to get into 3 times a week, and eventually every other day
    > like i used to do, and maybe if possible every day. any tips or helpful
    > comments on how best to do this? i dont remember how i got to run as
    > much as i did before. i started out pretty young (12 yrs) so its all a
    > bit blurry lol
    > Kirsten

  5. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    rick++ wrote:
    > Walk and jog 20 minutes a day, five days a week.
    > Sometime between 2-8 weeks you should be able
    > to complete the full 20 minutes running. Then you might
    > consider running a little more.
    > Be sure to have some running shoes or you might get sore
    > again.

    jumping from one day a week to 5days a week is likely too big a jump.

    Kirsten ,
    your plan sounds okay. going 3days per week initially is fine. And as
    tersa said, start slow. You should be able to talk while you run. Go by
    the amount of time running starting at 10minutes if you are really out
    of shape, ignore distance for now. Keep the same time until you can run
    the entire interval. Build the time up until you are running 30minutes
    each run (90minutes total per week).

    once you get to 3days per week, 30minutes each, then you can start
    adding days, adding time.

    Rick makes a good point on the running shoes. Don't wait too long to
    get a pair. Go to a running shoe store (not a mall store like
    footlocker).

    Check back as you make progress. you can also check out this site
    which also has the rec.running FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

    And remember, enjoy the run,
    Ed

  6. Simpledog

    Simpledog Guest

    She's 20. At that age, you can basically abuse your body to no end.

    "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rick++ wrote:
    >> Walk and jog 20 minutes a day, five days a week.
    >> Sometime between 2-8 weeks you should be able
    >> to complete the full 20 minutes running. Then you might
    >> consider running a little more.
    >> Be sure to have some running shoes or you might get sore
    >> again.

    > jumping from one day a week to 5days a week is likely too big a jump.
    >
    > Kirsten ,
    > your plan sounds okay. going 3days per week initially is fine. And as
    > tersa said, start slow. You should be able to talk while you run. Go by
    > the amount of time running starting at 10minutes if you are really out
    > of shape, ignore distance for now. Keep the same time until you can run
    > the entire interval. Build the time up until you are running 30minutes
    > each run (90minutes total per week).
    >
    > once you get to 3days per week, 30minutes each, then you can start
    > adding days, adding time.
    >
    > Rick makes a good point on the running shoes. Don't wait too long to
    > get a pair. Go to a running shoe store (not a mall store like
    > footlocker).
    >
    > Check back as you make progress. you can also check out this site
    > which also has the rec.running FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
    >
    > And remember, enjoy the run,
    > Ed

  7. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:46:13 GMT, "Simpledog" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >She survived, and is back running again, so there is your answer.

    Did she like it?