Getting back into it.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by BILLYHOLMES, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

[SIZE= 10pt]I am 59 and have been off the bike for 5 months so yesterday I jumped on the bike and rode for 16 miles, I am unfit so I was not pushing it but I saw that my heart rate was ~ 155 for the first 30 minutes and ~165 for the second, I never felt I was pushing it at all and could of ridden further, As I said, I'm unfit however, do you think riding at these kind of heart rates is too much...? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10pt]Bill.[/SIZE]

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

HR varies from person to person but I would guess that on average at 165 you would be at around 80% max. Only a professional can verify if you are in a safe zone but my guess is that you are.

3. Flyingblind9

Flyingblind9 New Member

Generally, 220-Age give max heart rate. 85% is a good upper end of where you want your heart to be, but 60% tends to get a bit low where the benefit is not too significant. If you are just starting up again, stick around 65-70% and that way it helps your heart ease into the mix safely. I would say that 145-155 BPM is plenty for now. I'm no expert by any means, just avid! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

4. BILLYHOLMES

BILLYHOLMES New Member

Thanks, If I assume my max HR is 185 (as I saw that last year) then 65% of that is 120.... shit.... I would be at 12mph I'm sure.... old lady's on Raleigh shoppers will be passing me!! I think I will go with 140 for now and see what happens - thanks!

5. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

220 - age never worked. If you want to train based on your max heart rate, go out and see how high you can push your heart rate.

Considering your 60 minutes of riding your 155-165 seems reasonable for training.