Getting back into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dimmy wrote:
> >
> > I agree. That's another thing I'm taking off my new bike. Shocks are great for off roading only,
> > but on the road it makes me feel like I'm riding with a flat front tire. Highly inefficient for
> > hill climbing too. I couldn't find a good moubtain bike with rigid forks though so had no
> > choice. Think I'll sell the shocks and get a good rigid fork.
>
> Why not just get a road bike if you're riding on the road?

It's already pretty obvious because 'ol dimmy is about a 1.5 watt bulb.

JD

"Jimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:40:08 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> reckoned:
>
>
> >If you like riding over the front axle on your bike. Go for the zero
rise
> >way out over the front wheel, more likely to join the OTB club. Follow
this
> >advice. If you like to be able to get the fron wheel up in a hurry. And not steer on an arc. Get
> >a short stem, with risers. Longer stems only
make
> >up for short TT length. Aerodynamic is a funny term in mountain biking. Most average speeds are
> >under 10 mph. Ride some technical trails. Then check your average speed.
> >
> >LMAO.
> >
> >TJ
> >
>
> I use my bike on roads and off, therefore; I want a bike that is both fast/efficient and
> comfortable. Call me old fashioned, but riser bars are for pussies.

That is just plain stupid. Risers bars allow you to raise your front riding position up anywere from
an inch or more. Wider bars give you more leverage if you are into that, but you can cut them down.
If your ride feels a little lower in the front than you would like, but the rest of the bike fits
very well, risers are a good option. Fashion statement huh? And that is the only reason anyone would
put risers on their bike? Just plain stupid.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:52:31 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
"@thankyou.com> reckoned:

>Why not just get a road bike if you're riding on the road?
>
>Barry

Because I ride both off and on road. Duh!

--
Not For Email

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:56:28 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> reckoned:

>That is just plain stupid. Risers bars allow you to raise your front riding position up anywere
>from an inch or more.

Gee, that's why all the Sunday fair weather bikers say they like risers. You don't want to raise
your postion because it puuts too much weight on your ass and is not as aerodynamic. That's been the
theory for many years and works so why now change it? Tell me again what the advantage is too having
your position raised. Oh right, you didn't give me one. What was that you were saying about stupid?

--
Not For Email

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> reckoned:

>Ever consider that maybe your hands wouldn't be so uncomfortable if they had a bit less
>weight on 'em?

Then you get a sore ass, take your pick. With a straight bar and bar ends at least I can change hand
positions to help alleviate any discomfort. You can't do that with your seat so I'll take sore hands
over a sore ass. As for shocks, they make the bike less responsive. Go ahead and laugh but it is
true. Why do you think they use very stiff suspension systems on racing vehicles?

--
Not For Email

On 21 Apr 2003 06:48:59 -0700, [email protected] (JD) reckoned:

>It's already pretty obvious because 'ol dimmy is about a 1.5 watt bulb.
>
>JD

1.5watt halogen is plenty to deal with the likes of you. Right tools for the right job. I ride on
and off road you dork. A rigid fork on a MTB is the right tool for that purpose. It's the stores
that are shortsighted by not carrying such a product. You see, they are marketing to all the sub
dweebs such as yourself that think shocks look real cool. Ohhh, I'm look so cool riding down the
road with my motorcycle shocks. Oohh, baby.

--
Not For Email

"Dimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:56:28 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> reckoned:
|
|
| >That is just plain stupid. Risers bars allow you to raise your front
riding
| >position up anywere from an inch or more.
|
| Gee, that's why all the Sunday fair weather bikers say they like risers. You don't want to raise
| your postion because it puuts too much weight on your ass and is not as aerodynamic. That's been
| the theory for many years and works so why now change it? Tell me again what the advantage is too
| having your position raised. Oh right, you didn't give me one. What was that you were saying
| about stupid?

I still use primarily flat bars, but folks have gone *back* to riser bars because they find them
more comfortable or it puts them in a position they feel better controls the bike. I like the width
of the bars, but not the sweep of them. Mountain bikes have been an evolution and I think for a
while the front end got too low for many people.

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 -
Release Date: 4/18/2003

Dimmy wrote:
> Tell me again what the advantage is too having your position raised.

ever hear of something called "rider comfort"?

Dimmy wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> reckoned:
>
>
>
>>Ever consider that maybe your hands wouldn't be so uncomfortable if they had a bit less
>>weight on 'em?

> Then you get a sore ass, take your pick

If you go too far the other way, yes. What you are trying to do is strike a comfortable ballance
between the two. the "perfect fit" for the individual. No two riders are the same, after-all.

> ends at least I can change hand positions to help alleviate any discomfort. You can't do that with
> your seat so I'll take sore hands over a sore ass.

Wait until you start having nerve conductivity testing due to Carpal or Ulnar tunnel issues they
take thes long needles and stick them into the nerves and zap you with a few joules and meansure how
fast the electrical impulse travels up the nerve..... fun stuff, let me tell you.

> As for shocks, they make the bike less responsive. Go ahead and laugh but it is true.

Those who ride rigid bikes know this to be true, but by the same token so do having all those
_gears_. SO, why not chuck it all and ride a rigid Single Speed!?!?!?!

Dimmy wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2003 06:48:59 -0700, [email protected] (JD) reckoned:
>
>
>> It's already pretty obvious because 'ol dimmy is about a 1.5 watt bulb.
>>
>> JD
>
> 1.5watt halogen is plenty to deal with the likes of you. Right tools for the right job. I ride on
> and off road you dork. A rigid fork on a MTB is the right tool for that purpose. It's the stores
> that are shortsighted by not carrying such a product. You see, they are marketing to all the sub
> dweebs such as yourself that think shocks look real cool. Ohhh, I'm look so cool riding down the
> road with my motorcycle shocks. Oohh, baby.

dang, you ARE really cool. I'm so sorry I missed it before.

p.

"Dimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| On 21 Apr 2003 06:48:59 -0700, [email protected] (JD) reckoned:
|
|
| >It's already pretty obvious because 'ol dimmy is about a 1.5 watt bulb.
| >
| >JD
|
| 1.5watt halogen is plenty to deal with the likes of you. Right tools for the right job. I ride on
| and off road you dork. A rigid fork on a MTB is the right tool for that purpose. It's the stores
| that are shortsighted by not carrying such a product.

Really? A lot of bike companies stayed with rigid forks on their product for years and found
they just don't sell that well. At the store level we found the same thing. It might have been
our market, but not a single person ever asked us to replace a shock with a rigid fork. In fact,
I've kept my eyes peeled for a nice simple shock to put on the only rigid bike in my fleet, my
beach cruiser.

| You see, they are marketing to all the sub dweebs such as yourself that think shocks look
| real cool.

Okay, you've got me there, but then after riding bikes with shocks, I don't like going back to
rigid. Even my road bike has a shock.

| Ohhh, I'm look so cool riding down the road with my motorcycle shocks. Oohh, baby.

To each his own.

| --
| Not For Email

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 -
Release Date: 4/18/2003

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Wait until you start having nerve conductivity testing due to Carpal or Ulnar tunnel issues they
> take thes long needles and stick them into the nerves and zap you with a few joules and meansure
> how fast the electrical impulse travels up the nerve..... fun stuff, let me tell you.

As someone around here might say, "Aye!"

Bill "still gets a bit of outside finger tingle (but not enough to have THOSE tests again!)" S.

[email protected] (JD) wrote
>
> Hey TJ, thanks for the repost on dimmy's misinformative lame opinion. Google seems to have grown
> its own idiot filter.

Dimmy has killfiled himself, Google-wise, as in "X-No-Archive: yes".

Hey Dimmy:

Perhaps you should do a Google search yourself on the people you're getting into flamewars with...

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote
> >
> > Hey TJ, thanks for the repost on dimmy's misinformative lame opinion. Google seems to have grown
> > its own idiot filter.
>
> Dimmy has killfiled himself, Google-wise, as in "X-No-Archive: yes".
>
>
> Hey Dimmy:
>
> Perhaps you should do a Google search yourself on the people you're getting into flamewars with...

He would have a shitpot of crow feathers sticking out of his stupid yap, especially since he was dim
enough to chastise me for riding suspended bikes. A ****** to the tenth power in the form of a dim
bulb. I like how he has killfiled himself in that manner. Another e-tard in a veritable sea of them.

JD

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<mpVoa.562$E%[email protected]>...
> "Jimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:40:08 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> reckoned:
> >
> >
> > >If you like riding over the front axle on your bike. Go for the zero
> rise
> > >way out over the front wheel, more likely to join the OTB club. Follow
> this
> > >advice. If you like to be able to get the fron wheel up in a hurry. And not steer on an arc.
> > >Get a short stem, with risers. Longer stems only
> make
> > >up for short TT length. Aerodynamic is a funny term in mountain biking. Most average speeds are
> > >under 10 mph. Ride some technical trails. Then check your average speed.
> > >
> > >LMAO.
> > >
> > >TJ
> > >
> >
> > I use my bike on roads and off, therefore; I want a bike that is both fast/efficient and
> > comfortable. Call me old fashioned, but riser bars are for pussies.
>
> That is just plain stupid. Risers bars allow you to raise your front riding position up anywere
> from an inch or more. Wider bars give you more leverage if you are into that, but you can cut them
> down. If your ride feels a little lower in the front than you would like, but the rest of the bike
> fits very well, risers are a good option. Fashion statement huh? And that is the only reason
> anyone would put risers on their bike? Just plain stupid.

Well said. It is entirely a matter of *fit* and *personal preference.*

Paladin

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:00:33 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
"@thankyou.com> reckoned:

>Yup! Sometimes, "out of fashion" actually means "many people have discovered that a different
>method works better for them". Disc brakes are currently "in fashion" for offroad riding. Why? They
>work GREAT for technical and dirty riding, and the rim sidewalls don't wear out!

They require more maintenance, the pads are expensive, and the rear disk brake gets oil on it from
the cogs and chain. Is that enough reasons not to want disk brakes? I think so. In fact I could of
gotten a couple of bikes with disk brakes for less than my Brodie Fury cost me which has V brakes,
but the frame does have the drop outs for disk brakes if I want to add them later.

>If the OP prefers narrow, flat bars, and bar ends, more power to him. That's not a reason to put
>down those who have chosen different methods of accomplishing the same task.

There are plus and minuses to everything. The smart person weighs out those plus and minuses and
chooses the best option. That's why the smart person would poo-poo the fashion whores and get
straight bars with bar ends. Hehe.

--
Not For Email

Dimmy wrote:
>
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:52:31 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
> "@thankyou.com> reckoned:
>
> >Why not just get a road bike if you're riding on the road?
> >
> >Barry
>
> Because I ride both off and on road. Duh!
>
> --
> Not For Email

I do that on my carbon Trek 5200 all the time. <G> No mud, logs, or rock gardens, but a road bike
goes great on many unpaved surfaces, expecially if you put a slightly larger tire on it. If you're
"mostly on the road", the efficency on the road will greatly outweigh the hassle when off. Riding a
bit more offroad? Try a cyclocross or hybrid bike with 28-32mm tires.

Well, duh!

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.