Getting Back On The Bike After Accident

bicyclez

Apr 25, 2015
What's the worst bike related accident you've recovered from? When returning to riding were you as strong as before pre-accident? Physical compromises while riding? We all eventually go down if riding consistently, its the law of averages.

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
I fell while riding in the mountains and injured my leg. It was bruised more than anything else, and it wasn't that difficult to get back to riding a couple weeks later. My leg healed up and then I hopped back on the bike. That's pretty much the only thing that has kept me from cycling for more than a day or two in the past 15 years. I'm a little lucky in the injury department.

I fell on my handlebar and it knocked the wind out of me. Super scary, but I was fine and I continued riding a few days later. I was pretty young so I recovered fast.

I had a dispute with a stop sign and lost when I was 11 the resulted in a hospital stay. I was trying to avoid a cat. Somehow I damaged the cartilage in my right knee and bruised my spleen. I couldn't walk and had to be carried to the car and carried into the ER. it isn't as grisly as some of the accidents others have had but it was enough for me. Some months later I was trying to do a stunt for my sister on a single speed bike. I managed to nail myself in the gut with the handle bars. Somebody with medical training stopped and checked me out. She told me I was in shock and needed an ambulance. I was stubborn and chose to walk my sister 1 mile home and lie down on the couch. 4 hours later when I couldn't get up it was back to the hospital with me because I had aggravated the spleen and bruised muscles in my abdomen severely. Moral of the story is to be careful and accept help when injured.

Hurt my shoulder in a motorcycle accident does that count?
Very low speed (25km/h) but still hurt it enough to write me off for the summer. Could do normal tasks okay just could not ride hard.
Problem was I never went to the hospital and got it checked out.
2+ years later it bugs me time to time but doesn't hold me back.

After my appendicitis back when I was 6, I thought I couldn't bike anymore with my intense scar, but I changed that. The appendix ruptured while it was still in my stomach. Doctors said I was going to die. The chance of living was slim to none but here I am.

Getting back on a bike after a major accident is nerve racking. I got side swiped by a car recently and I hit the pavement pretty hard. I suffered lacerations to my left thigh and both ankles were sprained, and I hyper extended my knee.

Getting back on the bike again wasn't something I wanted to do. I feel unsafe and insecure about the world around me.